Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2019 Weather Thread

2019 Weather Thread

Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:09 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2019 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
30°C and 60% humidity. The fridge is looking like a great place to sit! The humidity is due to climb to 90% overnight and temp to be about 20°C......ugh!
Humidity sucks. 30C can be bearable in dry air but with any kind of moisture it's just torture.

Alas, that is not a problem I'll have today, since it's hovering around -16C right now
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Since Wisconsin is in on it, maybe Ontario is close enough too - are you guys in for the ultra-cold snap that's coming this week?
Yes. Down to -22C overnight the next couple of nights, daytime high around -17C tomorrow with a wind chill pushing the "feels like" down to about -30 (that's about -22F, if my math is right). We had just over 30cm of snow between lunchtime yesterday and breakfast this morning, at least that's pretty much stopped now, not too much more of that in the forecast for the rest of this week. Apparently that's the biggest 24-hour dump of snow in the Greater Toronto Area since Feb 2008, which gels with my recollection so is probably not fake news
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:31 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
Yes. Down to -22C overnight the next couple of nights, daytime high around -17C tomorrow with a wind chill pushing the "feels like" down to about -30 (that's about -22F, if my math is right). We had just over 30cm of snow between lunchtime yesterday and breakfast this morning, at least that's pretty much stopped now, not too much more of that in the forecast for the rest of this week. Apparently that's the biggest 24-hour dump of snow in the Greater Toronto Area since Feb 2008, which gels with my recollection so is probably not fake news
Tomorrow is going to suck here. The high is going to be -13F/-25C and the low -27F/-33C. The morning wind chills are going to be close to -50F/-46C and could get as low as -60F/-51C

Needless to say, I've been given permission to work from home tomorrow and I'm bloody well going to take the offer.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:17 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not to bad down my way for once, which is pleasant. Only 22F with a 14F windchill. We're expecting mostly rain. Hopefully the snow stays away as I'm heading to NY and don't fancy having to bring loads of extra stuff with me.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we will get to 0 tonight. Currently 2.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:50 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Started off OK but back to a horrible 32c.

Very concerning for the only mainland albatross colony in the world.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 5:12 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Humidity sucks. 30C can be bearable in dry air but with any kind of moisture it's just torture.

Alas, that is not a problem I'll have today, since it's hovering around -16C right now
Yikes! That's just a bit too chilly! Don't get frostbite.
I can cope with dry heat but this humidity is a killer.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Minus 19 F here at the moment, minus 47 F with windchill. Yup, F, not C.

F that. Got a work from home day, luckily. Didn't fancy walking to the station in that lot.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 1:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

F that. Got a work from home day, luckily. Didn't fancy walking to the station in that lot.
I can't even imagine cold that severe. Be careful out there.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 2:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
My plan is to not be out there at all. There's nothing out there worth having.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

That's properly cold. -28C in real money. It just about got down to that here overnight last night, it's now warmed up to a balmy -20C (only -4F) for our daytime high, with a windchill at -30C.

Anywhere below where the F and C scales meet (-40) is unreasonably chilly, IMO. Stay hunkered down!
Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
That's properly cold. -28C in real money. It just about got down to that here overnight last night, it's now warmed up to a balmy -20C (only -4F) for our daytime high, with a windchill at -30C.

Anywhere below where the F and C scales meet (-40) is unreasonably chilly, IMO. Stay hunkered down!
It seems to be going down further The sun is out now so of course it has gone down to minus 20F, not counting windchill. FFS I might as well have gone to work on the Antarctic Research Station.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 4:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

It seems to be going down further The sun is out now so of course it has gone down to minus 20F, not counting windchill. FFS I might as well have gone to work on the Antarctic Research Station.
Not that this is a political thread, but I couldn't help roll my eyes at Trump's tweet about the temperatures in the MidWest... "come back Global Waming [sic], we need you." Most climate scientists seem to agree that the current frigid temperatures are a result of the splintering of a Polar vortex, almost certainly caused by warmer temperatures and lack of sea ice in the Arctic. The current cold snap is actually directly attributable to global climate change.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 6:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Your nostril hair freezes.

Old Jan 30th 2019, 7:35 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not to bad down our way, just yet. Only got a couple inches of snow last night. Expecting a little more again this evening.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.