Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2019 Weather Thread

2019 Weather Thread

Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2019 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
October 5th. Not long now.
Nice.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:18 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Nice.
Yeah. I wish I could look forward to it a bit more than I am though but my sister's being kind of a diva nightmare bride kind of thing. Making us jump through hoops to find a flower girl dress for our daughter (her blood niece), who's about 4 years too old to be a flower girl, so it matches what her not-yet-sister-in-law's daughter who lives in the UK is going to wear, all the while sending us links to UK only sites that don't ship to the US, or with items that are out of stock. Thankfully she finally caved and agreed on a dress my wife found on clearance at JC Penny, but it took every bit of energy I had not to send her some snark over it. My daughter is nine years old and about 4'7, she's wayyyyyy out of the size range for anything that pops up as 'flower girl dress' and is solidly in 'junior bridesmaid' territory. I mean, it's nice that she is trying to involve her but the poor girl was getting so stressed that nothing fit her

I'm about this close to wearing shorts and one of my Liverpool shirts to the ceremony. **** suits and ties all the way to the 7th circle anyway, but it'd be funny just to see her explode
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about this close to wearing shorts and one of my Liverpool shirts to the ceremony. **** suits and ties all the way to the 7th circle anyway, but it'd be funny just to see her explode
There are some deadly kilts available online...

Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:27 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
There are some deadly kilts available online...
You think I should go full kit wanker since it's a special occasion? Interesting point you raise, there.

Ooo, maybe I could get one of those tuxedo t-shirts
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I wish I could look forward to it a bit more than I am though but my sister's being kind of a diva nightmare bride kind of thing. Making us jump through hoops to find a flower girl dress for our daughter (her blood niece), who's about 4 years too old to be a flower girl, so it matches what her not-yet-sister-in-law's daughter who lives in the UK is going to wear, all the while sending us links to UK only sites that don't ship to the US, or with items that are out of stock. Thankfully she finally caved and agreed on a dress my wife found on clearance at JC Penny, but it took every bit of energy I had not to send her some snark over it. My daughter is nine years old and about 4'7, she's wayyyyyy out of the size range for anything that pops up as 'flower girl dress' and is solidly in 'junior bridesmaid' territory. I mean, it's nice that she is trying to involve her but the poor girl was getting so stressed that nothing fit her

We expect to see a pic of you in a suit on BE.

And yeah, that's bridesmaid age.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:43 pm
Doin' It Right

We expect to see a pic of you in a suit on BE.
This will never happen.

And yeah, that's bridesmaid age.
Yeah, but the dust seems to have settled on that one, at least for now. Truth be told, I don't like going to weddings at all. At least the big ones anyway, they are just festivals of narcissism that end up costing the guests way too much money (even more in our case ). Ours was just a nice small ceremony in the courthouse with immediate family, then back to my sister-in-law's for fried chicken and cake. Awwww yeah.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:46 pm

This will never happen.

Yeah, but the dust seems to have settled on that one, at least for now. Truth be told, I don't like going to weddings at all. At least the big ones anyway, they are just festivals of narcissism that end up costing the guests way too much money (even more in our case ). Ours was just a nice small ceremony in the courthouse with immediate family, then back to my sister-in-law's for fried chicken and cake. Awwww yeah.

I'm not a big weddings person either, or even a party person really. I would much rather go to the pub with a couple of friends.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You think I should go full kit wanker since it's a special occasion? Interesting point you raise, there. Ooo, maybe I could get one of those tuxedo t-shirts
Nah, kilt and your Liverpool shirt, sports jacket, can of McEwans. Drunk Uncle is a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. Keeping the sister in check while remaining in the family's good graces could be a fine line to walk.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:52 pm
Doin' It Right

I'm not a big weddings person either, or even a party person really. I would much rather go to the pub with a couple of friends.
For family gatherings, I much prefer the 'party at granny's house' style of event. Lots of food, very relaxed and as much tea as you can fit in your bladder (or whatever else you want to drink, but grannys always have the best tea). My wife's granny has events like that when they're over in Wisconsin for the summer, so I still get to experience it over here
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:54 pm
Doin' It Right

Nah, kilt and your Liverpool shirt, sports jacket, can of McEwans. Drunk Uncle is a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. Keeping the sister in check while remaining in the family's good graces could be a fine line to walk.
The reception will be in Ballymena though, so it'll have to be either Bucky or Super Tennent's
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The reception will be in Ballymena though, so it'll have to be either Bucky or Super Tennent's
Do you have a clan tartan? One wouldn't want to offend local customs, I suppose. Without the piercings and ink to carry off a leather kilt and combat boots something traditional may be needed.
This is a Canadian band, btw, and the head guy doesn't even drink.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:17 pm
Doin' It Right

Do you have a clan tartan? One wouldn't want to offend local customs, I suppose. Without the piercings and ink to carry off a leather kilt and combat boots something traditional may be needed.
This is a Canadian band, btw, and the head guy doesn't even drink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEx-GMDQxjw
I'm descended from lowland Scots. Border reivers. We don't have an official tartan because we weren't part of a clan, but I believe any tartan can still be used even then.

Alas, since I hate any kind of attention being focused on me in any way, shape or form, I shall have to be a drone once more for this occasion. I button my top shirt button for no man, woman or beast though, I will die on that hill. Plus, the tie's coming off for the reception, and the jacket, and sleeves are being rolled up. Give me my comfort, or give me death. Or at least a nice cup of tea and a quiet corner to sit in.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm descended from lowland Scots. Border reivers. We don't have an official tartan because we weren't part of a clan, but I believe any tartan can still be used even then.
With a heritage like that, I suppose any stolen kilt would be appropriate.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 5:00 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Alas, since I hate any kind of attention being focused on me in any way, shape or form, I shall have to be a drone once more for this occasion. I button my top shirt button for no man, woman or beast though, I will die on that hill. Plus, the tie's coming off for the reception, and the jacket, and sleeves are being rolled up. Give me my comfort, or give me death. Or at least a nice cup of tea and a quiet corner to sit in.
Give the shorts and Liverpool shirt to your daughter and get yourself a nice flower girl dress. That should sort it.

And we would want a photo...

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Sep 18th 2019 at 5:02 pm. Reason: Forgot to ask for the photo.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 5:01 pm
Doin' It Right

With a heritage like that, I suppose any stolen kilt would be appropriate.

Word.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Give the shorts and Liverpool shirt to your daughter and get yourself a nice flower girl dress. That should sort it.
I can't do that. Brides tend to get arsey when someone shows up at a wedding looking better than them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.