Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2019 Random Comment Thread

2019 Random Comment Thread

Old Mar 5th 2019, 2:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2019 Random Comment Thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Nice. And if you're lucky enough to live somewhere with a Polish community, it's also pączki day, too.
One of the supermarket chains here sells them occasionally. I suppose that explains why they started selling them again over the last couple of weeks. In fact, the rival supermarket have also just started selling them too...I remember reading the pronunciation was something like paunch-key?

I have bought some - no cream in them - and they were very like 'ordinary' jam doughnuts. A bit more firm, though, and nearly twice the price.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:18 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
One of the supermarket chains here sells them occasionally. I suppose that explains why they started selling them again over the last couple of weeks. In fact, the rival supermarket have also just started selling them too...I remember reading the pronunciation was something like paunch-key?

I have bought some - no cream in them - and they were very like 'ordinary' jam doughnuts. A bit more firm, though, and nearly twice the price.
I think that's pretty close to the pronunciation, though my Polish is, well, non-existent so don't quote me.

I only ever buy them from the Polish bakery in town and they're great there, because they're always fresh on Fat Tuesday. At other times of the year, their pastries are great too though, so that's no surprise. Can't speak for the supermarket ones but I imagine they would be a lot tougher. We get cream ones, and fruit-filled ones every year. Totally bad for you but so worth it all the same.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I only ever buy them from the Polish bakery in town and they're great there, because they're always fresh on Fat Tuesday. At other times of the year, their pastries are great too though, so that's no surprise. Can't speak for the supermarket ones but I imagine they would be a lot tougher. We get cream ones, and fruit-filled ones every year. Totally bad for you but so worth it all the same.
Something not right about North American doughnuts...and not just the spelling.

They go in for almost anything but a lovely fresh jam doughnut. Chocolate, maple, sugar, lemon (yuk) hundreds and thousands, Boston Cream and so on.
And the dough doesn't seem right. They even sell the doughnut holes.

My main supermarket does wonderful jam donuts. Exactly the right dough, tons of jam....but they hardly ever do them while the crappy overly sweet stuff is there. A nice fresh cream doughnut would be lovely.

Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:48 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Something not right about North American doughnuts...and not just the spelling.

They go in for almost anything but a lovely fresh jam doughnut. Chocolate, maple, sugar, lemon (yuk) hundreds and thousands, Boston Cream and so on.
And the dough doesn't seem right. They even sell the doughnut holes.

My main supermarket does wonderful jam donuts. Exactly the right dough, tons of jam....but they hardly ever do them while the crappy overly sweet stuff is there. A nice fresh cream doughnut would be lovely.
I rarely have trouble finding jam donuts, even Dunkin Donuts still has them and their selection is complete shite now compared to what it used to be. Though usually if I'm not at the bakery, I get them at the supermarket because we have one round our way that has pretty damn serviceable donuts, and jam is always on offer. The good raspberry jam as well.

Obviously, going to a standalone bakery will yield better results but it's not always practical if you're already out and about.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 4:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Obviously, going to a standalone bakery will yield better results but it's not always practical if you're already out and about.
Not too many bakeries here. Not convenient to get to anyway. And mostly bread and rolls. Nothing like what I remember from the UK with custard tarts, custard slices, meringues, Jam doughnuts, cream doughnuts, apple and cream doughnuts, chocolate eclairs, various Danish, plain scones, fruit scones....
Can't even get a regular currant bun, only Hot Cross Buns.

No sausage rolls, no pasties, no cheese pasties....absolutely nothing like Greggs.

Sounds like a wasteland.

Old Mar 5th 2019, 4:19 pm
Hail Satan!

Not too many bakeries here. Not convenient to get to anyway. And mostly bread and rolls. Nothing like what I remember from the UK with custard tarts, custard slices, meringues, Jam doughnuts, cream doughnuts, apple and cream doughnuts, chocolate eclairs, various Danish, plain scones, fruit scones....
Can't even get a regular currant bun, only Hot Cross Buns.

No sausage rolls, no pasties, no cheese pasties....absolutely nothing like Greggs.

Sounds like a wasteland.
I'm just lucky that the bakery we have opened a few years back, otherwise I'd be left with the supermarket as well.

Much more variety for pastries, both sweet and savoury, back in NI though.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 2:32 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

custard slices,
Solved this one issue when Mrs. N. decided to make me some.

Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post

Nice.

Can she do Jap Fancies? (not a racist pastry, promise)
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:00 pm
Hail Satan!

That looks pretty bloody good right there.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Nice.

Can she do Jap Fancies? (not a racist pastry, promise)
Wasn't there one of the sweets in Dolly Mixture that had a name like that? Maybe Jap Delights? I have a vague memory floating around in my brain about that but I could be miles off as well.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there one of the sweets in Dolly Mixture that had a name like that? Maybe Jap Delights? I have a vague memory floating around in my brain about that but I could be miles off as well.

I wasn't a Dolly Mixture fan so not sure.

The proper Jap Fancy looks like this.

Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:06 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I wasn't a Dolly Mixture fan so not sure.

The proper Jap Fancy looks like this.

I don't think I've ever had one of those so I don't know what the bloody hell I was talking about.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

She was going to make me some "cream" slices as well, but we couldn't figure out what the US equivalent of "cream" is when it's not "real" cream.

Also, Dolly Mixtures!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:25 pm
Hail Satan!

She was going to make me some "cream" slices as well, but we couldn't figure out what the US equivalent of "cream" is when it's not "real" cream.
Yeah, that's a harder one to get right out here. Definitely more 'custards' than 'creams' being used in the pastries. That is one thing I do miss quite a bit though, a nice cream bun or some variation of that theme.

7 months ...

Also, Dolly Mixtures!
Old Mar 6th 2019, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.treasureislandsweets.co....-desserts.html

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.