Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2014...Looking Back...

2014...Looking Back...

Old Dec 29th 2014, 9:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014...Looking Back...

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Great news. Congratulations
Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Woo-hoo! I'll drink to that!

Strange how life works out, isn't it. He's English, too.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Strange how life works out, isn't it. He's English, too.
Ha ha I wanted to ask.

Very happy for you x
Old Dec 29th 2014, 9:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha I wanted to ask.

Very happy for you x
Another expat.

It's all good.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

PeppaPigA113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit weird. Made the longed-for return to the UK. That can make me cry with relief just thinking about it. It's so bloody hard on a practical level though. Realistically, left it too late to get my kids to settle in England. Taking my son to the airport tomorrow to go back to California. Daughter's boyfriend is here, as everybody knows That is all very emotional. Extended family a nightmare. Husband's job taking up all his energies. Trying to buy a house, with no forward movement. Dealing with a fairly serious health condition.

Mustn't grumble though
oh god! How do you find living back in UK after living in Los Angeles
do you prefer the UK??
Old Dec 29th 2014, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113 View Post
oh god! How do you find living back in UK after living in Los Angeles
do you prefer the UK??
Oh I most definitely prefer the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 11:38 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

T

Oh, yeah, and I got proposed to. And most definitely accepted. There is a severe risk of me actually being happy.
That is lovely news . Congratulations
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:23 am
Just Joined

PeppaPigA113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I most definitely prefer the UK.
sorry if it seems I'm prying, what do you prefer? For me the obvious is Healthcare there V here! Costly here, but then 'free' in the UK.
I much prefer food in general in the UK ha ha. like M&S
but... I prefer the choice of food chains here than the UK.

People, Im still confused about that one. I find the people on the West Coast, obnoxious and pretentious. But somehow friendlier than the Brits or at least easier to strike conversation with!

Weather, again depends, on the person, we love the sun here, but then i suppose I found myself this christmas missing the snow (or colder weather).
How long have you been back in the UK?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113 View Post
sorry if it seems I'm prying, what do you prefer? For me the obvious is Healthcare there V here! Costly here, but then 'free' in the UK.
I much prefer food in general in the UK ha ha. like M&S
but... I prefer the choice of food chains here than the UK.

People, Im still confused about that one. I find the people on the West Coast, obnoxious and pretentious. But somehow friendlier than the Brits or at least easier to strike conversation with!

Weather, again depends, on the person, we love the sun here, but then i suppose I found myself this christmas missing the snow (or colder weather).
How long have you been back in the UK?
Hi, hope it isn't going too much off the topic, but back 4 months.

For me personally, I just simply could not make it happen there. I felt completely overwhelmed, alienated and depressed.

Preferences off the top of my head - yes, healthcare, food, drink, public transport, feeling of order, community, gun laws, humour, landscape, people (have never found people stand-offish here), reduced role of religion. I can't deal with the heat for most of the year in LA, it is nice by the ocean and in the evenings though.

It can feel a bit slow here, our house purchase is moving at a snail's pace.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:36 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

We have had worse (the end of 2013 ) and we have had better.

Getting healthy was the main agenda for both M and myself, the other agenda was to enjoy our lives as much as possible.

Our highlights were a wonderful trip back to the UK with our daughter to meet with our son. The trip was wonderful, with a huge family party for both my side and M's side of the family together. Just like our wedding reception from 39 years ago

Like JG we also met with some BE members, some fairly local folk and then on one of our road trips in the summer we met the lovely Cindy and Steve

The getting healthy agenda had its ups and downs but we seem to be winning, doctors appointments are still more often than we would like but not as often as they were at the beginning of the year. This time last year the topic of conversation was selling the Harley. It didn't happen and the garage now has 4 different motorcycles in all kinds of conditions...

2015 hopefully will be a stress free, healthy fun filled new year. We have a couple of milestones to celebrate, visitors coming from the UK and far fewer doctors appointments

Bring it on...we are ready!
Old Dec 30th 2014, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

What has 2014 been like for you?
Up and down, but it's been getting better.

Bobette #1 started first grade, Bobette #2 got the lottery pick for town pre-school for next year.

Found a bit of regular work which is handy as contract stuff was painful.

Went to Florida on a missus awarded work trip for a nice little holiday.

Met a couple more BE folks.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

2014 was mostly ups for us!

Husband moved to Canada in 2013, I made my permanent move in January 2014, and started a new job a few weeks later. In February we went up north on a snowshoeing holiday, really pretty in the woods and in the snow. A great weekend getaway. When we got back, we started house hunting and in April bought a gorgeous 4-bedroom house.

In May we spent a weekend in Chicago, then a few weekends in July up at the cottage, then two weeks in August/September back in the UK with my husband's family, great to catch up with friends, and a good friend got married as well.

Also met a load of BE people at meetups in June and September, that was a ton of fun, finally being able to put some faces to usernames! Funny how some people are exactly as expected, and others are the polar opposite. Looking forward to more meetups!

In November we took possession of the house, so December has been a whirlwind of moving madness.

So overall, 2014 was pretty great... we have some plans for 2015 and are optimistic about the year! Husband's parents are here in February, and his brother and his family are here in May, plus we have a week in Miami in January, and are trying to work in a trip to DC if we can swing it... and July at the cottage again. Plus we have tickets for the PanAm games in July! Should be a good year!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see the back of it...went through an traumatic and unexpected, prolonged divorce. Adjusting to the fact I'll never get to live in the UK until my youngest has flown the nest. (he's 6)

On the upside I have started a dating a wonderful man, so I am very happy in that respect and feeling hopeful about the future.

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:40 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

This year has been kind to me. First full year of my new job that finally put an end to the financial struggles, and watching the Littlie Lion growing into a lovely young man. I'm proud of him. First pic is from when he was three, second pic from a few days ago at 15.

Oh, yeah, and I got proposed to. And most definitely accepted. There is a severe risk of me actually being happy.
That's awesome news, many congratulations

For me it's been a rollercoaster year. It started off with a Green Card denial, we appealed, and within a matter of days learned that husband was being made redundant. Spent a stressful few weeks thinking we were heading back to the UK against our wishes, but thankfully the appeal succeeded and we got our PR in the nick of time. We then had a few more weeks of hubby looking for a new job, so spent the first 6 months of the year doing virtually nothing but stressing out.

The little one then took a nasty fall and started the new school year on crutches, luckily just a bad sprain.

Then to round the year out, we found out a couple of days ago that my Dad has still got, or contracted again, MRSA. Which means he still can't have his pacemaker fitted despite being in chronic heart failure, and if these new antibiotics don't work he'll have to have his hip replacement out again for a 3rd time, with no chance they can put another one in.

But in general we're all happy, and will continue to put a smiley face on and get on with life
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Nicky.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Nicky.
Ditto.

Must be very difficult being so far away Nicky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.