Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2014...Looking Back...

2014...Looking Back...

Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2014...Looking Back...

2014 started off in Toronto...it was bitterly cold and at the end of January we made our way south to Florida. During this time we had the pleasure of meeting up with 4 BE members. After getting to know them for years on BE it was great to meet them in person.

We made our way back to Toronto in early spring. Mid June our first grand child was born...a little girl. We spent the summer getting to know her. My avatar pic was taken early October...we all went apple picking...our granddaughter's first apple picking day.

We also attended a couple of BE meet ups in Toronto and got to know some of the peeps who post in the Canada forums. In October we made our way south again to warmer climes. We arrived back to TO in early December...in time to prepare for Christmas. The day after we got back our little dog was diagnosed with cancer...the vet said she had 4 to 6 weeks to live. Well she made it through Christmas but today hasn't been good. She sleeps a lot but doesn't seem to be in pain. The question is...what do we do from here? Hopefully she will fade away...pain free.

What has 2014 been like for you?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 28th 2014 at 4:44 am.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014...Looking Back...

I will happily be putting 2014 behind me, first year I have ever looked forward to ending.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
I will happily be putting 2014 behind me, first year I have ever looked forward to ending.
Sorry to hear that...but we need details
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

2014 was much better than 2013.

2013 was full of 'do we have to leave Ohio, i dont want that, i built this house, i have friends, love the schools, who likes Dallas anyway, - TO shoot we DO HAVE to sell up and move on - and all the pain ad stress that entailed. Plus put the UK house on the market, and then do the move itself, and have a dog put down, and then get into a tiny corp apartment on the third floor with a large dog, 3 kids and just 2 bedrooms. and spend christmas in said tiny apartment.

By comparison - this year has bee: finally closing the sale of the uk house, and closing on the new house here in Texas. Moving in and getting all our possessions back under our own roof, and finding we love the town more than we imagined. and the school is fab, and the people are friendly, and the kids and dog are thriving. and having a pool is fun! and working at the same job (for me) at home is good, and husband getting a better job, etc.

so i was happy in 2014 - but waiting to see what 2015 brings (will the job working from home change (not by my choice), how will my eldest 'shy kiddo' cope with middle school etc
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
2014 was much better than 2013.

2013 was full of 'do we have to leave Ohio, i dont want that, i built this house, i have friends, love the schools, who likes Dallas anyway, - TO shoot we DO HAVE to sell up and move on - and all the pain ad stress that entailed. Plus put the UK house on the market, and then do the move itself, and have a dog put down, and then get into a tiny corp apartment on the third floor with a large dog, 3 kids and just 2 bedrooms. and spend christmas in said tiny apartment.

By comparison - this year has bee: finally closing the sale of the uk house, and closing on the new house here in Texas. Moving in and getting all our possessions back under our own roof, and finding we love the town more than we imagined. and the school is fab, and the people are friendly, and the kids and dog are thriving. and having a pool is fun! and working at the same job (for me) at home is good, and husband getting a better job, etc.

so i was happy in 2014 - but waiting to see what 2015 brings (will the job working from home change (not by my choice), how will my eldest 'shy kiddo' cope with middle school etc
I hear you...moving to a completely different area can be hard but surprising. We are living in a city condo in Toronto...probably smaller than our kitchen and adjacent family room in New Jersey. Despite the scaled down size...I am quite happy here in Toronto. My easy going, fit in with anything hubby...is not...he longs to go home to the UK.

Like you said...waiting to see what 2015 brings.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 1:03 pm
Is

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a mostly crap year. Roll on 2015..... It's got to be good.

So sorry to hear about your dog, JG. That's very sad.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 2:53 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

2014 was a year of both endings and new beginnings for me. In June I traveled to Canada and Europe with my daughter and husband. It was the first time they had left australia in the 8 years. My husband and I separated after 23 years in August, shortly after we got home from our holiday. I've started dating again, which is a minefield of weirdos, but have managed to meet a nice man who I kind of like. The year will be ending with me in Canada for my mums 90th birthday celebration which is a nice way to end things.

I'm looking forward to 2015.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:42 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

We got robbed in January 2014 down in SA, decided to move. Emigrated to Montego Bay and settled in well - kids happy and healthy, which is all I can ever wish for.

2015 looks like we are off to St Lucia - new challenges ahead! Life's awesome - even when it throws lemons at you.

Shame about the doggy JG - holding thumbs.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 7:39 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

2014: best....year....ever!

Moved back to England from Canada in 2013, felt settled come 2014 and never been happier!

Spring was spot on beautiful after 6 crappy non existent ones in Canada so we purchased a gorgeous 2 seater convertible number which allowed us to enjoy a fab summer exploring the great British countryside.

Roll on 2015 when we will be enjoying more of the same plus hopefully we will find and buy our new home which means we can really settle back here

Happy New Year everybody!
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

2014 was a years of ups and downs and ups for us.

In February we had a family trip to PA for fact finding about our hoped for new home town and experienced a few days of snowy winter before heading off to warmer climes for a week of astronomy. In April our petition was finally completed and submitted, followed in short order by approval!

May brought a downturn, mil was diagnosed with a tumour which was removed in July just weeks before steveq and the q boys flew out to the US to start their new lives and I remained in the UK to wrap pack up home & factory and look after mil. In October I managed a short trip to stay with the family before heading back to the UK. November brought bad news on the cancer front for mil, but I have made it over the pond for Christmas & New Year with the family with just one more trip planned back to the UK to wrap up the last bits of business stuff before settling long term in central PA.

Roll on 2015!
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
2014 was a year of both endings and new beginnings for me. In June I traveled to Canada and Europe with my daughter and husband. It was the first time they had left australia in the 8 years. My husband and I separated after 23 years in August, shortly after we got home from our holiday. I've started dating again, which is a minefield of weirdos, but have managed to meet a nice man who I kind of like. The year will be ending with me in Canada for my mums 90th birthday celebration which is a nice way to end things.

I'm looking forward to 2015.
Similar year to me Dorothy, I too am looking forward to 2015 and putting all the crap of 2014 behind me. Fortunately I have great friends and family and three decent, loving kids that have made me see my life is now heading in the right direction and I'm getting back to being me.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Bit weird. Made the longed-for return to the UK. That can make me cry with relief just thinking about it. It's so bloody hard on a practical level though. Realistically, left it too late to get my kids to settle in England. Taking my son to the airport tomorrow to go back to California. Daughter's boyfriend is here, as everybody knows That is all very emotional. Extended family a nightmare. Husband's job taking up all his energies. Trying to buy a house, with no forward movement. Dealing with a fairly serious health condition.

Mustn't grumble though
Old Dec 29th 2014, 9:46 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Bit weird. Made the longed-for return to the UK. That can make me cry with relief just thinking about it. It's so bloody hard on a practical level though. Realistically, left it too late to get my kids to settle in England. Taking my son to the airport tomorrow to go back to California. Daughter's boyfriend is here, as everybody knows That is all very emotional. Extended family a nightmare. Husband's job taking up all his energies. Trying to buy a house, with no forward movement. Dealing with a fairly serious health condition.

Mustn't grumble though
Sorry to hear your son is going back to California. It is really hard when your grown kids don't want to be where you are. I guess when we choose emigrate, we really want them to settle and then by the time they do, we want to leave. It's too late for them though as they go through their teens....build friends...build a life.

Through all the good times in 2014, I try not to dwell on the bad. My daughter is about to book her flights back to Canada, to leave in spring. I can't even bear to think about it yet. I am hoping beyond hope that when she realises things have changed since we left and there is not much there for her (1st best friend has baby, 2nd best friend pregnant due March, 3 other friends just had kids, 1 other friend has 2 kids, etc...!) that she will return.
It's funny how one of the reasons we ran from the UK is the teen pregnancy rate, and it seems we ran into a place that is just the same, or worse. There is nothing to do in Nova Scotia except make babies!

I hear you on extended families! My extended family is just bloody awful and I have deleted all from my life except my brother, and that is fairly strained, but it's all I have.

Oh well, we all have our own lives and have to live it as best as we can.

I wish you well and will be thinking of you as you drop your son off at the airport.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 9:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post

Mustn't grumble though
Life is never simple. Hope it all settles down for you. And the future is unwritten, by the way...
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you two! Just got back from the airport. Not too bad.

The cost of future airfares alone is something we never thought about when we emigrated though

Hope everyone has a great 2015 - you're all me besht mates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.