British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   World Series (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/world-series-261904/)

Pimpbot Oct 28th 2004 3:05 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Manc
smug smile on my face tonight Mr Pimpbot.


Smarty pants! lol

DaveC Oct 28th 2004 3:26 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Manc
that's it. I knew I'd read it somewhere. Couldn't remember exactly what it was, but knew it was a sponsorship thing.

That's fine, but the media refer now to the Red Sox now as the World Champions. Surely a better definition of "world champions" would be the winners of a tournament with national teams competing in it? As an example, how about this year's Olympics when Cuba won the baseball Gold medal?

But wait, the American mens baseball team didn't even qualify for the 2004 Olympics.

Don't even get me started on the Superbowl Winners being crowned World Champions!

Manc Oct 28th 2004 3:31 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by DaveC
That's fine, but the media refer now to the Red Sox now as the World Champions. Surely a better definition of "world champions" would be the winners of a tournament with national teams competing in it? As an example, how about this year's Olympics when Cuba won the baseball Gold medal?

But wait, the American mens baseball team didn't even qualify for the 2004 Olympics.

Don't even get me started on the Superbowl Winners being crowned World Champions!

It doesn't bother me as much in baseball, because it's a very cosmopolitan league nowadays. Granted only North American teams play, but name me another team in another country (prolly Japan) that could have won more games than St Louis over the course of the regular season, or another team in another country that could have won 8 games straight to win the world series.
You can't, so therefore Boston are indeed the world champions.

cuckoofrommars Oct 28th 2004 3:48 pm

Re: World Series
 
I'm pretty sure my junior skool under 14 girls rounders team won every game they played when I was at the skool.

Manc Oct 28th 2004 3:53 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
I'm pretty sure my junior skool under 14 girls rounders team won every game they played when I was at the skool.

world champions then

DaveC Oct 28th 2004 4:15 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Manc
It doesn't bother me as much in baseball, because it's a very cosmopolitan league nowadays. Granted only North American teams play, but name me another team in another country (prolly Japan) that could have won more games than St Louis over the course of the regular season, or another team in another country that could have won 8 games straight to win the world series.
You can't, so therefore Boston are indeed the world champions.

Pah, that's what I say to you. Pah.

Bob Oct 28th 2004 4:18 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by DaveC
Don't even get me started on the Superbowl Winners being crowned World Champions!

Don't care...there all from New England :D
Though the Celtics don't stand a chance..and the ice hockeys out *l*

Bob Oct 28th 2004 4:20 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Manc
It doesn't bother me as much in baseball, because it's a very cosmopolitan league nowadays. Granted only North American teams play, but name me another team in another country (prolly Japan) that could have won more games than St Louis over the course of the regular season, or another team in another country that could have won 8 games straight to win the world series.

Though would be interesting if they did do international comps, baseball is massive in Japan and there's some serious talent, just look at the handful that have made if over here...
Also a lot of talent from dom. rep, cuba etc....so there is potential for the thing to expand, even if there isn't the money...which is what it boils down to...

Manc Oct 28th 2004 4:25 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by DaveC
Pah, that's what I say to you. Pah.

but the Red sox didn't beat Celtic last night eh? :)

DaveC Oct 28th 2004 5:05 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Manc
but the Red sox didn't beat Celtic last night eh? :)

Yeah, yesterday they were the winningest team in Glas-gow!

cindyabs Oct 28th 2004 9:43 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't care...there all from New England :D
Though the Celtics don't stand a chance..and the ice hockeys out *l*

Still, in my lifetime I saw two events that I thought wouldn't happen until hell froze over-the Pats win the Super Bowl and now the Bosox winning the series. HOORAH!

New England Born and Bred

Bob Oct 28th 2004 9:51 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Still, in my lifetime I saw two events that I thought wouldn't happen until hell froze over-the Pats win the Super Bowl and now the Bosox winning the series. HOORAH!

Yeah tell me about it, kinda worried now...winter could be a tad harsher than normal *l*
And I think that just really leaves the Celtics to come good,but hell would probably have to do more than freeze over before that happen *l*

bored-silly Oct 28th 2004 10:11 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by dbickle
Don't be offended by the quote, it's not as if you'll be hearing it again for another 86 years :D

I mean pissed as in drunk, not offended! :)

sibsie Oct 28th 2004 10:58 pm

Re: World Series
 
The truth behind the origin of the World Series.

cindyabs Oct 28th 2004 11:01 pm

Re: World Series
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah tell me about it, kinda worried now...winter could be a tad harsher than normal *l*
And I think that just really leaves the Celtics to come good,but hell would probably have to do more than freeze over before that happen *l*


I remember when the Celtics were a SERIOUS power team, but that a few years back.
If this winter is anything like January 86 when it was 45 BELOW zero in northeastern Vermont, then it will be a dite (as we say in New England) chilly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:49 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.