British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   World Series (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/world-series-261904/)

NJ_Dave Oct 28th 2004 4:14 am

Re: World Series

Originally Posted by Bob
Wouldn't have thought you going for the Sox after what happened to the yankees...which was a surprise... :)

certainly a bit of history this...well the breaking of the curse :)

The curse of the Bambino is about to be broken. A sad day in the history of baseball, Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio will be turning in their graves tonight.

hawkeye Oct 28th 2004 4:42 am

The SOX sweep the Cardinals 4 - 0 :D

Manc Oct 28th 2004 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Manc
a little presumptious aren't we.

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Not really. St Louis's home record and stats are far better than their road record.

smug smile on my face tonight Mr Pimpbot.

Manc Oct 28th 2004 4:44 am

Originally Posted by dbickle
The curse of the Bambino is about to be broken. A sad day in the history of baseball, Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio will be turning in their graves tonight.

yeah but Bill Buckner will get a good night sleep for the first time in 18 years.

NJ_Dave Oct 28th 2004 4:49 am

yeah but Bill Buckner will get a good night sleep for the first time in 18 years.

So the Red Sucks win one World Series in almost 90 years, big deal just goes to show how stupid they really are, falling for the whole 'curse of the bambino' thing and all that. Let them enjoy their 5 minutes of fame before the Yankees show them their place next year.

bored-silly Oct 28th 2004 5:01 am

So... the WORLD series.. what other countries play in it then?...

Bob Oct 28th 2004 5:12 am

Who cares about next year...they won this year coming back from 3-0 against the yankees :p

1918+86=2004 so it really was destiny :D :beer: :beer:

Bob Oct 28th 2004 5:12 am

Originally Posted by bored-silly

Canadians :p

NJ_Dave Oct 28th 2004 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Who cares about next year...they won this year coming back from 3-0 against the yankees :p

1918+86=2004 so it really was destiny :D :beer: :beer:

It would have to be on the same night as a lunar eclipse. A lot of crazy shit happens..............

Manc Oct 28th 2004 5:21 am

It's called the world series because the first sponsor was named something like "World Fabrics" or something innocuous like that. It just stuck.

bored-silly Oct 28th 2004 5:25 am

It's called the world series because the first sponsor was named something like "World Fabrics" or something innocuous like that. It just stuck.

Yeah but when they won, the commentator said "the Boston Red Sox are world champions" like they really meant the world... Sorry Manc, I'm a bit pissed....

NJ_Dave Oct 28th 2004 5:32 am

Yeah but when they won, the commentator said "the Boston Red Sox are world champions" like they really meant the world... Sorry Manc, I'm a bit pissed....

Don't be offended by the quote, it's not as if you'll be hearing it again for another 86 years :D

sibsie Oct 28th 2004 6:25 am

I thought it was something to do with Japan's involvement but due to the logistics, it just ended up being a US thing. As usual I could have that totally wrong.

I went into Boston to watch it with friends. Hubby was in Palm Beach watching it. I still can't quite believe it. F*****g awesome night.

Lion in Winter Oct 28th 2004 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
I thought it was something to do with Japan's involvement but due to the logistics, it just ended up being a US thing. As usual I could have that totally wrong.

I.

I thought it was because an old New York newspaper, The World, was the original sponsor.

Manc Oct 28th 2004 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I thought it was because an old New York newspaper, The World, was the original sponsor.

that's it. I knew I'd read it somewhere. Couldn't remember exactly what it was, but knew it was a sponsorship thing.