Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup draw

World Cup draw

Closed Thread

Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default World Cup draw

Interesting draw: U.S. definitely screwed....Ghana, Portugal and Germany..ouch.
Brazil sitting pretty with Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon.
England faces Uruguay (always tough), Costa Rica and Italy. Full draw here:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/final-d...=1386350803461

Any predictions?
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup draw

I agree the US are screwed. I don't think England are much better off. Never beaten Italy, Uruguay or Costa Rica in an international tournament. If it was in Europe, I'd fancy us going through as runners up. In South America, we'll do well to advance.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
I agree the US are screwed. I don't think England are much better off. Never beaten Italy, Uruguay or Costa Rica in an international tournament. If it was in Europe, I'd fancy us going through as runners up. In South America, we'll do well to advance.
Agreed very tough road for England too. Brazil should do very well.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:34 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The US and the UK will be on the first planes back after the group stages.

I'm not quite sure how the lowly ranked and performed France, managed to get in a pot that didn't meet a single decent country though.

I think group H will be interesting, South Korea,, Russia and Belgium are all with a shot.

Argentina have possibly the easiest group to contend with.

Potential Argentina v Brazil final could be good though.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The US and the UK will be on the first planes back after the group stages.

I'm not quite sure how the lowly ranked and performed France, managed to get in a pot that didn't meet a single decent country though.

I think group H will be interesting, South Korea,, Russia and Belgium are all with a shot.

Argentina have possibly the easiest group to contend with.

Potential Argentina v Brazil final could be good though.
That final would be pretty damn good. No love lost between those two.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
They're jammy SOB's, that's how! 4 weeks ago it was odds on they wouldn't even qualify and now they effectively have a free ticket to the last 16. I just hope the team implodes again as seems to be a trait with French teams in any sport.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see England qualifying.

Argentina and Brazil have it easy. Hope neither of those two win. Anyone else I'm okay with.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Tough draw for the USA but a great group for them to build even more interest in the game. If they can get out of that group, or at least fail marginally, they will boost the US profile internationally again.

England's draw is tricky but the order of the games pleases me. Italy first, that's always a draw. The Italians never put too much on the table first game. Then we have Uruguay, whose star player we know well. Even if we lose, I think we can do enough to make the last game worth playing. Then, we play the easier one, knowing what our target is for goal difference, so if we need a 3-0 win to advance we can go for it, knowing the other two have a tough game.

I don't have any hopes for England this time, even before the draw. But we can get out of this group.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now as the Premier is coming towards its final games, I believe that it is time for the English National Team to start getting organised for the World Cup.

Of course our players need some rest first, but we should start building the team after their rest, to try and do well at this World Cup.

At least we should aim to reach the last 4 of the competition.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prometheus1 View Post
Now as the Premier is coming towards its final games, I believe that it is time for the English National Team to start getting organised for the World Cup.

Of course our players need some rest first, but we should start building the team after their rest, to try and do well at this World Cup.

At least we should aim to reach the last 4 of the competition.
I am not sure I agree Prometheus, I think we will be lucky to get out of the group and the SF is beyond optomistic dreaming. Therefore, I would look to blood some young talent and do away with the golden (lead in terms of achievement) generation.

For example left back - there is no point in taking Cole so take Shaw. Right back likewise with Johnson take take a youngster.

I would take the likes of Shaw, Smalling, Chambers, Turner, Caulker, Sturridge, Sterling, Barclay, Lallana, Wiltshire et al and try to build for 4 years time. This means that something like 28 should probably be our upper age limit i.e. Rooknee and Milner's age.

Carrick, Lampard, Cole, Gerrard etc are going to struggle to be around in 2 years let alone 4 so let's say bye-bye and build for the future. Need to be ruthless now me thinks for longer term gain.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:51 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

You got me thinking Prometheus, how about a starting eleven something along these lines?

Hart;
Chambers, Smalling, Cahill, Baines;
Milner, Lallana, Barclay, Sterling;
Sturridge, Rooney;

Won't win anything but could develop into a useful side over the next few years - bags of potential
Old May 5th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
You got me thinking Prometheus, how about a starting eleven something along these lines?

Hart;
Chambers, Smalling, Cahill, Baines;
Milner, Lallana, Barclay, Sterling;
Sturridge, Rooney;

Won't win anything but could develop into a useful side over the next few years - bags of potential
Great idea Garbatellamike,
but I cannot come up with my chosen 11 like this.
I have to carefully think about this, and I will come back with my chosen 11 soon.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Brazil Squad:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC, on loan from QPR), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro).
Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Maxwell and Thiago Silva (both Paris St-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).
Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur), Ramires (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Fernandinho (Manchester City).
Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg).

No Coutinho or Lucas
Old May 8th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Brazil Squad:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC, on loan from QPR), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro).
Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Maxwell and Thiago Silva (both Paris St-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).
Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur), Ramires (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Fernandinho (Manchester City).
Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg).

No Coutinho or Lucas
That midfield looks....uninspiring. No Lucas Moura either, I guess we'll get the same niggly Brazil team that Dunga had, using fouls to break up the oppositions rhythm while grinding out results.

A forward line of Fred and Jo is not good (they could have done with Diego Costa), everything's on Neymar and I wonder if a European season has taken it out of him.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Hart Foster Forster

Baines Jagielka Cahill Johnson Smalling Shaw Jones

Gerrard Milner Lampard Lallana Sterling Wilshire Henderson Ox-C Barkley

Rooknee Sturridge Welbeck Lambert

looks about right to me although Caulker for Jones maybe?