Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:52 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
There actually is a football playing population here. The 1994 World Cup still has the record for attendance and that was when it was still only 24 teams. Plus I live here, so I'm biased

Ok, England, then.
I know, I assumed your location had something to do with it.

Sticking to Europe/Somehwere Else/Europe/Somewhere else is the most sensible.

Japan/SK was a good idea, even if shit times.
Aus wouldn't be any better and is full of Australians (terrible people).
Africa was great but only really South Africa could be trusted.
Middle East - yes, I would love a WC to come here, they're genuinely football mad (well, think they are but all just wear Barca shirts).
Europe could host it without doing anything - eg; England, all the stadia and infrastructure is in place.
South America - All will be similar to Brazil, huge uproar at money being wasted etc but picks are basically Arg or Braz.
North America - USA, would cruise a tourno but time zones across the various zones make it harder? I don't remember 94, because I was only just 6yrs old. Canada? Get ****ed. Pretend Americans and they annoy me.

It's basically Europe or nowhere. So you're probably right, it basically has to be Europe then USA. Repeat.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:58 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's basically Europe or nowhere. So you're probably right, it basically has to be Europe then USA. Repeat.
Basically.

Let's be real, there's no point in holding a cup in the Middle East or really anywhere in Asia other than Japan or South Korea - no team in those regions have a chance of even finishing third in their group. Africa has more decent teams but not the infrastructure in place to hold a major tournament.

I'm sorry, but the World Cup is not the place to be PC. If you want to include the other regions, then extend the tournament to 48 teams and add a few more qualifying berths.

It should basically rotate between England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany (possibly the Netherlands and Sweden, too) with one from Argentina, Brazil, Japan/SK, Mexico and the US thrown in every eight years. Simples
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:07 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Basically.

Let's be real, there's no point in holding a cup in the Middle East or really anywhere in Asia other than Japan or South Korea - no team in those regions have a chance of even finishing third in their group. Africa has more decent teams but not the infrastructure in place to hold a major tournament.

I'm sorry, but the World Cup is not the place to be PC. If you want to include the other regions, then extend the tournament to 48 teams and add a few more qualifying berths.

It should basically rotate between England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany (possibly the Netherlands and Sweden, too) with one from Argentina, Brazil, Japan/SK, Mexico and the US thrown in every eight years. Simples
Agreed. Although less for the French. They don't deserve another tournament for ****ing ages. How it's not come back to England is beyond me.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:09 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Although less for the French. They don't deserve another tournament for ****ing ages. How it's not come back to England is beyond me.
France can go last in the rotation, then

England should get 2022, the more I think about it. Actually, should Russia even have 2018? After the experiences I read regarding the Winter Olympics, I'm not too sure ...
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:22 pm
WWLLCJD?

France can go last in the rotation, then

England should get 2022, the more I think about it. Actually, should Russia even have 2018? After the experiences I read regarding the Winter Olympics, I'm not too sure ...
Shit the bed. How have they gone so sneakily under the radar? The wankers. That is another hateful country.

Russia get ****ed. England should have it.
Qatar can keep it (it will line my pockets and I sort of like the Middle East, for all it's faults). No wait. Qatar get ****ed, move it to Dubai. No wait. That will increase my rent again. **** that. Qatar keep it. But next after that should be somewhere cool.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:45 pm
Brexicide Now

Shit the bed. How have they gone so sneakily under the radar? The wankers. That is another hateful country.

Russia get ****ed. England should have it.
Qatar can keep it (it will line my pockets and I sort of like the Middle East, for all it's faults). No wait. Qatar get ****ed, move it to Dubai. No wait. That will increase my rent again. **** that. Qatar keep it. But next after that should be somewhere cool.
I go for England 2018, USA 2022 then Italy 2026 and begin my expertly produced rotation. Probably throw in Mexico for 2030 (or perhaps Uruguay for the 100th anniversary tournament).
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:54 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I go for England 2018, USA 2022 then Italy 2026 and begin my expertly produced rotation. Probably throw in Mexico for 2030 (or perhaps Uruguay for the 100th anniversary tournament).
Shall we just get this one out of the way first......UK media reporting today that Sterling may start over Welbeck for the Italy game as Welbeck has picked up an 'injury'.

More like Hodgson has finally realised Welbeck is crap, but doesn't want to rub his nose in it so has agreed to tell everyone he's injured.

Oh and 'The Sun' has got Pele the piranha fish who is predicting winners for each game by choosing to eat one of 3 treats, a win for either side or a draw. He has been spot on for all Englalnd's warm up matches and he predicts that England will beat Italy in the opening match.

Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

That definitely gets my vote!!! (shame my vote doesn't count LOL). Of course, with Greg Dyke being at the forefront of the get Sepp out campaign, I doubt we'll see the World Cup for the next 50 years!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:53 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Good God, this opening ceremony is piss poor.....hope the ensuing football proves to be more entertaining!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:05 pm
Brexicide Now

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Good God, this opening ceremony is piss poor.....hope the ensuing football proves to be more entertaining!
Opening ceremonies are always shit. It's a rule. Remember in 1994 when Diana Ross missed the penalty but the goal bust apart anyway? Shite.

I can only hope those who are watching it live, though, spare a thought for those of us who are recording the match to watch after work and keep quiet about the bloody scores ...
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:06 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Was thinking the same

Can't believe the Nike advert has Rooney in the same league as all those other quality players either
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:07 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I can only hope those who are watching it live, though, spare a thought for those of us who are recording the match to watch after work and keep quiet about the bloody scores ...
Like anyone will pay attention to using spoiler tags

Speaking of...

Spoiler:

Do they even still work?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:07 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Speaking of...

Spoiler:

Do they even still work?
Test

Edit: and they didn't auto open in the reply, so I guess they are working still....
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:10 pm
Brexicide Now

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Speaking of...

Spoiler:

Do they even still work?
Is ededededededededededed still a mod in here? Perhaps he can get off his arse and create a new thread called 'Inconsiderate Bastards Who Post Football Scores Without Spoiler Tags'
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:27 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Is ededededededededededed still a mod in here? Perhaps he can get off his arse and create a new thread called 'Inconsiderate Bastards Who Post Football Scores Without Spoiler Tags'
3-1 to Brazil.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.