Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:37 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

Nobody has defended his biting

I didn't say defended his biting........ I said 'stood by him'........ which they did by allowing him to continue to play football for Liverpool FC.......
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I didn't say defended his biting........ I said 'stood by him'........ which they did by allowing him to continue to play football for Liverpool FC.......
Lots of precident on that front. Cantona at
Utd, Adams at Arsenal and so on. Of course those two went on to win the league a few times after criminal rather than footy offences, so maybe not a direct comparison ...
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Not a single bite between them. As for Barton, he's not much more than a pantomime villain, but his attempt at a French accent is extremely offensive admittedly.
Bites - Jermaine Defoe, Dennis Wise

As for Barton, you do know he was jailed for assault? BBC NEWS | UK | England | Joey Barton is jailed for assault
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:46 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Oh back from 'travelling' are we?

Agreed football is bad news sometimes. Even so I would like to have Suarez round for tea one night, just to get inside his head. Plus it would be interesting to see if he could stand an hour of my daughter talking about 'One Direction' round the dinner table.
Yup, back but off again soon - out of Africa. At last. Oddly, one Direction are here in a few months. That was the final straw.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Ededed, you obviously did not read that list. It includes Barton. BARTON!!
Yeah, I retract. Barton is a prize all on his own. Sorry. I didn't think he was a footballer though.

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Liverpool so far seem to be holding a waiting brief, and assessing their options. My guess now is he will be gone by the end of the summer.
I don't think so - if they were gonna dump him on moral grounds, they would have booted him after any of his previous lengthy bans for reprehensible behaviour. It's too late to take the high ground now, and no-one will drop €50m on a mental liability who will soil the commercial value of their brand. If United bought him, I'd get my enormous back tattoo of Phil Neville and Nicky Butt surgically removed in protest. That'd teach the Glazers.

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Lots of precident on that front. Cantona at
Utd, Adams at Arsenal and so on. Of course those two went on to win the league a few times after criminal rather than footy offences, so maybe not a direct comparison ...
And United banned Cantona for the rest of the season (before the FA increased it to 7 months). And we won the double the next year, not just the title

He was never even booked after he came back.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Suarez is now saying he lost his balance and fell forward into Chiellini's neck and his teeth left marks.

Luis Suárez, the Uruguay striker banned for four months for biting Giorgio Chiellini, claimed in his defence to Fifa that the shocking act was not deliberate and he simply lost his balance and fell on to the Italian player with his teeth.
Luis Suárez bite defence: I lost balance and hit my teeth against Chiellini | Football | The Observer

Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:41 pm
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

After the disappointment of my two teams getting eliminated in the group stages, I'm finding this WC one of the more fascinating. 3 Teams are exciting me... Colombia, Greece and the US, wont it be great if a new team actually wins this time around.

Brazil are doing it hard...
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:23 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
After the disappointment of my two teams getting eliminated in the group stages, I'm finding this WC one of the more fascinating. 3 Teams are exciting me... Colombia, Greece and the US, wont it be great if a new team actually wins this time around.

You're such a plastic Columbia fan....
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:20 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that I have ever read Colombia, Greece and the US in the same sentence.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 5:59 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mexico, you had it in the palm of your hand and threw it away.

I was willing them to win, flippin' hate Tango especially that Robben.

P.S No I am not using spoiler tags, if you want to record and watch the match at another time don't bloody come into the World Cup thread before you've watched it.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Oh Mexico, you had it in the palm of your hand and threw it away.

I was willing them to win, flippin' hate Tango especially that Robben.

P.S No I am not using spoiler tags, if you want to record and watch the match at another time don't bloody come into the World Cup thread before you've watched it.
Agree about Robben, but Van Gaal is the man. It will be nice for him to win a world cup, then the Premier League in consecutive seasons.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Agree about Robben, but Van Gaal is the man. It will be nice for him to win a world cup, then the Premier League in consecutive seasons.
I can see major renovations being carried out at OT as we are going to need a much bigger dressing room as we are supposed to be signing at least another 50 players.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:58 pm
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey that Greece v Costa Rica game finished like something out of a Rocky Movie.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out to be a bit of a corker didn't it...
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:18 am
Moreland Member

If you take affiliations out of the equation, this has been the best world cup in a long long while. Plenty of attacking football combined with on field drama and a plethora of deserved surprise results.

To think I groaned when I drew Nigeria and Costa Rica in the sweeps at work.

Very happy that my one and only 10 buck bet on the US at the bookies at 200 to 1 is still running... Took that as soon as I saw the Mexicans draw with Brazil.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 30th 2014 at 4:24 am.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:27 am

If you take affiliations out of the equation, this has been the best world cup in a long long while. Plenty of attacking football combined with on field drama and a plethora of deserved surprise results.
Agree with that - shame Robben did his dying swan impression in the last minute - it was a penalty, but I couldn't help wish it wasn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.