Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

Old May 15th 2014, 7:37 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default World Cup 2014

I love the World Cup, I mean really love it. Looking forward to a summer of the telly rigged up in the garden, barbie on the go and a few glasses of vino.

So let's get going with some predictions.

1. Who will win it?
2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. How far will England get?
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match?
Old May 15th 2014, 7:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
I love the World Cup, I mean really love it. Looking forward to a summer of the telly rigged up in the garden, barbie on the go and a few glasses of vino.

1. Who will win it? Argentina
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? England because I spent enough money travelling around watching them in the qualifiers
3. How far will England get? Might get out of the group but no further
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? England of course
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? Great question - Colombia maybe
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? Rooknee methinks as Nasri has not been selected by France
Great questions PB - looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measures
Old May 15th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going for Germany to become the first European team to win in South America. I think England will do well to get passed the group stages, but I'm resigned to them doing poorly so can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'll also be getting behind my adoptive country the US, although they have less chance of getting through the knock out than England. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm dreading having to sit through Gus Johnson's awful clueless commentary.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:04 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
I'm going for Germany to become the first European team to win in South America. I think England will do well to get passed the group stages, but I'm resigned to them doing poorly so can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'll also be getting behind my adoptive country the US, although they have less chance of getting through the knock out than England. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm dreading having to sit through Gus Johnson's awful clueless commentary.
Hmmm can't see a European team winning in S America, I'm gonna go safe and plump for the hosts to win it.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I see no reason why Spain cant deal with the conditions. But picking a winner is a bit of a mugs game.

Could go either way for Engerland, if the young players gel and they get out of the group then they could do better than expected. Id say they are 50:50 to make it out of that group. A lot will depend on whether Uruguay get January Suarez, or Late April/ May Suarez, and whether Italy manage to be more or less dysfunctional than England.

According to government documents "England have a 54% probability of progressing past the group stage and an 11% probability of progressing past the quarter-finals"

Last edited by iaink; May 15th 2014 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:21 pm
Grace and gratitude

Wayne on his holidays! Anyone else slightly apprehensive that we are building a team around this?

Old May 19th 2014, 4:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

1. Who will win it?
2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. How far will England get?
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match?
I also can't wait, getting very very giddy. Also, my daughter is away for 12 nights while it's going on, so I am allowed to totally veg out in front of it and not feel guilty

1. I'm going to go for Uruguay, I have a feeling Suarez will have a blinder
2. England of course, but know there is no chance
3. Finish the group in 2nd place, after scraping their way painfully through, out in the next round.
4. England
5. Belgium
6. Rooney

Watching England is just painful, and although I really want them to do well, I know it will be a relief when they are knocked out and I can just get on with enjoying the tournament.
Old May 19th 2014, 6:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
I also can't wait, getting very very giddy. Also, my daughter is away for 12 nights while it's going on, so I am allowed to totally veg out in front of it and not feel guilty

1. I'm going to go for Uruguay, I have a feeling Suarez will have a blinder
2. England of course, but know there is no chance
3. Finish the group in 2nd place, after scraping their way painfully through, out in the next round.
4. England
5. Belgium
6. Rooney

Watching England is just painful, and although I really want them to do well, I know it will be a relief when they are knocked out and I can just get on with enjoying the tournament.
I've no doubt Suarez will have a blinder, but one man does not a team make, 'cos if it did, Spurs would have won the title last season
Old May 19th 2014, 9:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think Suarez is burned out for this year, the disappointing end of Liverpools season will take a toll and for the last month or so he has not been the same player he was in January.

At least, thats what Im hoping for Englands sake.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I've no doubt Suarez will have a blinder, but one man does not a team make, 'cos if it did, Spurs would have won the title last season
Like many people, I don't think a European team will win. And it makes a change to say someone other than Brazil.

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
I think Suarez is burned out for this year, the disappointing end of Liverpools season will take a toll and for the last month or so he has not been the same player he was in January.

At least, thats what Im hoping for Englands sake.
Possibly, either that or he'll be more determined to win something this year.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Who will win it? Probably Brazil
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? German, because it will piss off a lot of English people
3. How far will England get? Not past the group stage
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? Argentina
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? Belgium
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? Rooney
Old May 20th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

1. Hopefully a nation that doesn't play boring football. Argentina, maybe.
2. England, even if they do resort to playing boring football.
3. I can't see them getting past the group stage, but if they do I'll be more than happy.
4. France, although it seems to happen every other world cup, for them to implode two on the trot would be hilarious.
5. Belgium, either it turns out fantastically, or their wealth of young talent can't put it together.
6. Neymar.
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

1. Who will win it? - Brazil, sadly.
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? England, but seriously, the Dutch or Chile.
3. How far will England get? 3 games and out.
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? Germany - their style is too quick for Brazillian conditions - Brazil's attritional style will disappoint some too
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? I hope Chile, maybe Japan
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? John Terry, with his full kit on too.
Old May 24th 2014, 8:21 am
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy View Post
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? John Terry, with his full kit on too.
Including shin pads
Old May 24th 2014, 1:09 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Amused by the faff about Donavon not making the squad for the US team...never mind the fact he buggered off for a walk about, or plays in a second rate league, wouldn't have anything to do with it at all, nope

Anyway, dark horses, Chile and Japan probably though folks keep talking about Belgium. Would also like to see Ghana do well.

England would be lucky to get out of the group stages but I don't see it happening.

Be fun if Brazil fail to win on home turf again though and serves them right for getting the Olympics too

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.