British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   World Cup 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/world-cup-2014-a-833949/)

pommybird May 15th 2014 7:37 am

World Cup 2014
 
I love the World Cup, I mean really love it. Looking forward to a summer of the telly rigged up in the garden, barbie on the go and a few glasses of vino.

So let's get going with some predictions.

1. Who will win it?
2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. How far will England get?
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match?

Garbatellamike May 15th 2014 7:43 am

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 11261235)
I love the World Cup, I mean really love it. Looking forward to a summer of the telly rigged up in the garden, barbie on the go and a few glasses of vino.

So let's get going with some predictions.

1. Who will win it? Argentina
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? England because I spent enough money travelling around watching them in the qualifiers
3. How far will England get? Might get out of the group but no further
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? England of course
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? Great question - Colombia maybe
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? Rooknee methinks as Nasri has not been selected by France

Great questions PB - looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measures

markonline1 May 15th 2014 4:27 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
I'm going for Germany to become the first European team to win in South America. I think England will do well to get passed the group stages, but I'm resigned to them doing poorly so can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'll also be getting behind my adoptive country the US, although they have less chance of getting through the knock out than England. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm dreading having to sit through Gus Johnson's awful clueless commentary.

pommybird May 15th 2014 6:04 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11261925)
I'm going for Germany to become the first European team to win in South America. I think England will do well to get passed the group stages, but I'm resigned to them doing poorly so can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'll also be getting behind my adoptive country the US, although they have less chance of getting through the knock out than England. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm dreading having to sit through Gus Johnson's awful clueless commentary.

Hmmm can't see a European team winning in S America, I'm gonna go safe and plump for the hosts to win it.

iaink May 15th 2014 6:06 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
I see no reason why Spain cant deal with the conditions. But picking a winner is a bit of a mugs game.


Could go either way for Engerland, if the young players gel and they get out of the group then they could do better than expected. Id say they are 50:50 to make it out of that group. A lot will depend on whether Uruguay get January Suarez, or Late April/ May Suarez, and whether Italy manage to be more or less dysfunctional than England.

According to government documents "England have a 54% probability of progressing past the group stage and an 11% probability of progressing past the quarter-finals"

pommybird May 19th 2014 12:21 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
Wayne on his holidays! Anyone else slightly apprehensive that we are building a team around this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bnn5wR5IIAAT3re.jpg

N1cky May 19th 2014 4:49 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 11261235)
I love the World Cup, I mean really love it. Looking forward to a summer of the telly rigged up in the garden, barbie on the go and a few glasses of vino.

So let's get going with some predictions.

1. Who will win it?
2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. How far will England get?
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match?

I also can't wait, getting very very giddy. Also, my daughter is away for 12 nights while it's going on, so I am allowed to totally veg out in front of it and not feel guilty :)

1. I'm going to go for Uruguay, I have a feeling Suarez will have a blinder
2. England of course, but know there is no chance
3. Finish the group in 2nd place, after scraping their way painfully through, out in the next round.
4. England
5. Belgium
6. Rooney

Watching England is just painful, and although I really want them to do well, I know it will be a relief when they are knocked out and I can just get on with enjoying the tournament.

pommybird May 19th 2014 6:27 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11266690)
I also can't wait, getting very very giddy. Also, my daughter is away for 12 nights while it's going on, so I am allowed to totally veg out in front of it and not feel guilty :)

1. I'm going to go for Uruguay, I have a feeling Suarez will have a blinder
2. England of course, but know there is no chance
3. Finish the group in 2nd place, after scraping their way painfully through, out in the next round.
4. England
5. Belgium
6. Rooney

Watching England is just painful, and although I really want them to do well, I know it will be a relief when they are knocked out and I can just get on with enjoying the tournament.

I've no doubt Suarez will have a blinder, but one man does not a team make, 'cos if it did, Spurs would have won the title last season :sneaky:

iaink May 19th 2014 9:57 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
I think Suarez is burned out for this year, the disappointing end of Liverpools season will take a toll and for the last month or so he has not been the same player he was in January.

At least, thats what Im hoping for Englands sake.

N1cky May 19th 2014 10:46 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 11266785)
I've no doubt Suarez will have a blinder, but one man does not a team make, 'cos if it did, Spurs would have won the title last season :sneaky:

Like many people, I don't think a European team will win. And it makes a change to say someone other than Brazil.


Originally Posted by iaink (Post 11267095)
I think Suarez is burned out for this year, the disappointing end of Liverpools season will take a toll and for the last month or so he has not been the same player he was in January.

At least, thats what Im hoping for Englands sake.

Possibly, either that or he'll be more determined to win something this year.

IJ157 May 20th 2014 3:56 am

Re: World Cup 2014
 
1. Who will win it? Probably Brazil
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? German, because it will piss off a lot of English people
3. How far will England get? Not past the group stage
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? Argentina
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? Belgium
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? Rooney

SalopianFunk May 20th 2014 8:20 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
1. Hopefully a nation that doesn't play boring football. Argentina, maybe.
2. England, even if they do resort to playing boring football.
3. I can't see them getting past the group stage, but if they do I'll be more than happy.
4. France, although it seems to happen every other world cup, for them to implode two on the trot would be hilarious.
5. Belgium, either it turns out fantastically, or their wealth of young talent can't put it together.
6. Neymar.

Lord PercyPercy May 23rd 2014 5:04 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
1. Who will win it? - Brazil, sadly.
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? England, but seriously, the Dutch or Chile.
3. How far will England get? 3 games and out.
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? Germany - their style is too quick for Brazillian conditions - Brazil's attritional style will disappoint some too
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? I hope Chile, maybe Japan
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? John Terry, with his full kit on too.

pommybird May 24th 2014 8:21 am

Re: World Cup 2014
 

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy (Post 11273361)
6. Which player is most likely to end up on the front page of the Sun, in a picture that shows him passed out in a pool of vomit outside a night club, the night before a crucial match? John Terry, with his full kit on too.

Including shin pads :D

Bob May 24th 2014 1:09 pm

Re: World Cup 2014
 
Amused by the faff about Donavon not making the squad for the US team...never mind the fact he buggered off for a walk about, or plays in a second rate league, wouldn't have anything to do with it at all, nope :D

Anyway, dark horses, Chile and Japan probably though folks keep talking about Belgium. Would also like to see Ghana do well.

England would be lucky to get out of the group stages but I don't see it happening.

Be fun if Brazil fail to win on home turf again though and serves them right for getting the Olympics too :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:36 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.