British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/triesman-does-he-have-hard-evidence-hes-just-nuts-716541/)

ameliapond May 11th 2011 6:38 am

Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 
Triesman's claims are pretty shocking:

- Fifa vice-president Warner asked for around £2.5m to build an education centre in Trinidad, with the cash to be channelled through him, and later wanted £500,000 to buy Haiti's World Cup TV rights for the earthquake-hit nation, again to be channelled through him

- Paraguay's Fifa member Leoz asked for a knighthood!

- Brazil's Fifa member Teixeira asked him to "come and tell me what you have got for me", with the implication being that he wanted something in return for his vote

- Thailand's Fifa member Makudi wanted to be given the TV rights to a friendly between England and the Thai national team

Not to mention the Spanish doping circus... He said he didn't say anything at the time because "we would have burned off our chances". I really hope he has hard evidence to give FIFA, that's the only way to see developments.

ededed May 12th 2011 8:02 am

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 
FIFA do appear to be a crooked, miserable bunch. The fish rots from the head too, Blatter does seem to be up to his neck in corruption.

The FA now sound like they are bleating about not getting the bid - sour grapes maybe, but I must say that if it took corruption, bribery and knighthoods to secure the world cup, they can keep the bloody thing. The fact that Qatar was chosen tells you all you need to know.

I say we form our own governing body along with Lapland, the Faroe Islands, the Falklands, Scotland and Zanzibar. Then we might win the trophy.

Obviously Scotland would need to qualify first.

ameliapond May 12th 2011 10:58 am

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 
I agree Blatter is up to his neck, but claiming something and having proof are two very different things, Triesman is not newsofthheworld but once he was asked for a bribe by the 1st member he should've done something, recordings and so on, it would've made a world of difference as the allegations are really shocking. And to think it just happened to cricket a while ago. It gets me angry to see these things go unpunished, they just sit at a desk and get millions, b******s.

ededed May 12th 2011 11:25 am

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 
Yup, you're right but he is about 300 years old and wouldn't know how to work a recorder!

Look at the African legacy left behind by FIFA (or lack of). Loads of expensive, empty stadiums - still to be paid for. They have gone into the sunset with a billion dollars - so much for the African cup for the African people.

That money could have built homes, infrastructure and a health service. And lets be honest, England could have been shit in any country!

ameliapond May 12th 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 9359638)
That money could have built homes, infrastructure and a health service. And lets be honest, England could have been shit in any country!

Very well put, both comments!

Uncle Ebenezer May 12th 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 9359638)
England could have been shit in any country!

Which they have proved - and will again - with monotonous consistency.

iaink May 12th 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by ameliapond (Post 9356776)
Triesman's claims are pretty shocking:

Sadly it doesnt come as a shock any more. I hope he has evidence, but his best bet is to give it to the press as no one at the top of FIFA has any interest in really cleaning things up I suspect, least of all Blatter.

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 12th 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9360051)
Sadly it doesnt come as a shock any more. I hope he has evidence, but his best bet is to give it to the press as no one at the top of FIFA has any interest in really cleaning things up I suspect, least of all Blatter.

All too true.

Think there is any legs in the veiled threat by the FA to walk away from FIFA if they don't sort it out? I really hope so. The FA wouldn't need to take many other leagues with them before FIFA imploded. Get Spain, Italy and Germany to join the party and FIFA would be a dead duck.

Uncle Ebenezer May 12th 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9360778)
All too true.

Think there is any legs in the veiled threat by the FA to walk away from FIFA if they don't sort it out? I really hope so. The FA wouldn't need to take many other leagues with them before FIFA imploded. Get Spain, Italy and Germany to join the party and FIFA would be a dead duck.

Realistically, why do we need them anyway?

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 12th 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9360794)
Realistically, why do we need them anyway?

because if England 'walk alone' then they will be excluded from any FIFA authorized competetion and probably any UEFA ones as well. So no World Cup or Champions League. Get three or four of the other 'big leagues' onside and then FIFA are screwed. Despite it being the 'World Game' most of the financial muscle is still in Europe.

Uncle Ebenezer May 12th 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9360810)
because if England 'walk alone' then they will be excluded from any FIFA authorized competetion and probably any UEFA ones as well. So no World Cup or Champions League. Get three or four of the other 'big leagues' onside and then FIFA are screwed. Despite it being the 'World Game' most of the financial muscle is still in Europe.

I was a little vague there - I meant why does world football need FIFA? The regional/national football associations should be able to co-operate with one another enough to run the existing competitions.

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 12th 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9360818)
I was a little vague there - I meant why does world football need FIFA? The regional/national football associations should be able to co-operate with one another enough to run the existing competitions.

Ahhh, gotcha. You're right, but I guess the World Cup does need some sort of organising committee. If it needs something on the scale of FIFA is debatable.

Uncle Ebenezer May 12th 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9360826)
Ahhh, gotcha. You're right, but I guess the World Cup does need some sort of organising committee. If it needs something on the scale of FIFA is debatable.

I would think a committee, with members appointed by each of the world regional FA's.

ededed May 13th 2011 4:54 am

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9360818)
I was a little vague there - I meant why does world football need FIFA? The regional/national football associations should be able to co-operate with one another enough to run the existing competitions.

Absolutely right.

I feel unclean now.

Uncle Ebenezer May 13th 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Triesman, does he have hard evidence or he's just nuts?
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 9361389)
Absolutely right.

I feel unclean now.

That would be the crouching camel avatar.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.