Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The transfer thread.

The transfer thread.

Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:11 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The transfer thread.

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
Ha! Serves the money grabbing twats right - bummer when you get your bluff called, isn't it?
Ha ha ha ha ha

I still like PB's crack about Mancini wanting some new faces, and Tevez asking if he could have one!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:16 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha

I still like PB's crack about Mancini wanting some new faces, and Tevez asking if he could have one!
Well, somebody obviously started a long time ago, so it seems daft not to finish the job.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:21 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Well, somebody obviously started a long time ago, so it seems daft not to finish the job.
Are there any footballers who aren't complete ****tards?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:31 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Paul Scholes.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:41 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to think of any.

I think you'd have to go back to the 70's.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Yeah, Paul Scholes.
Sadly, I met him at a sponsors' function here in SA. He was standing next to me when a kid - no older than about 7 - asked for his autograph. He looked him straight in the eye, looked down at his shirt and pen, and just turned and walked away.

Given the image he's cultivated over the years, I thought this was really poor. Still not as bad as Tomaz Kusjeck who gave a young fan the finger when asked to pose for a photo.....

At least Scholes possibly earned the right to be a bit of a twat...
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:15 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I met him at a sponsors' function here in SA. He was standing next to me when a kid - no older than about 7 - asked for his autograph. He looked him straight in the eye, looked down at his shirt and pen, and just turned and walked away.

Given the image he's cultivated over the years, I thought this was really poor. Still not as bad as Tomaz Kusjeck who gave a young fan the finger when asked to pose for a photo.....

One of my friends dad worked at Old Trafford and always said what a nice bloke Beckham was with the kids when he was there, I heard a lot of good reports about Scholes too, signing autographs when he was coming out of training when none of the others would.
A bloke I knew went to a corporate function there and took his 12 year old daughter with him, it was mostly management and corporate people and some of the players. She was in the lounge and Beckham came through, so the kid walked over to him and asked him for an autograph.. she actually told me how nice he was to her, went and got a her a teeshirt and signed it and her autograph book, and went and got autographs from Ferguson and a couple of the other players for her, and said he sat and chatted to her for about ten minutes or so because she was just a kid on her own. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the bloke for doing that.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:27 pm

I have to say I was pretty impressed with the bloke for doing that.
My brother is a senior chappie at Sky Sports. He was producing an interview with Sven and Becks - Sven came in, sat down answered the questions and pissed off. Becks came in, said hello and introduced himself to everyone - "hi, I'm David - what's your name and what do you do?"...everyone said hi (my brother said "I'm Jim, I wrote the questions and am producing"....Becks said "cool Jim, hope you go easy on me, blah blah blah"...did this with everyone - lighting guy (where do you want me to sit?) sound guy (is the mic level ok for you?) etc etc - did the interview for about an hour, got up - walked up to my brother - said "cheers Jim, some great questions - had me on the ropes there mate, you've done your homework - I enjoyed it, thanks for your efforts" - then went round everyone, shook hands, asked if they had all they needed, called them by their names and offered to redo the interview if anything was missing - he would fit into their schedules...

My brother is a Dipper fan - hates everything United, past and present. Told me he had a little man-crush on him after that. Class.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:31 pm

So yes, the answer to my own question could be David Beckham.

And Eric Cantona, of course.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well going back to players in the 70's. I went to school near Maine Rd and while I was always a United fan I used to ask the City players for autographs... I used to try and sell them on.
Rodney Marsh always seemed have time for the kids, Colin Bell on the other hand was a complete git, going so far as telling kids to "**** off" when the mood took him.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't really seem like that bad of a deal to me. Van Der Saar was 40 when he finished playing for United, and Given is a top keeper. I'd be more than happy to have Given as the regular in the United goal, or as a second keeper providing his wages weren't too ridiculous.
..and he may well turn out to be great for them and play until he's 40. Just thought it unusual to be offering 35yr olds five year contracts. Would he have been offered that at United or Arsenal? I doubt it.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:27 pm

So yes, the answer to my own question could be David Beckham.

And Eric Cantona, of course.
Speaking as a red, there's no doubt Cantona was King... but much as I hate to say it, as far as his attitude goes, he was an arrogant twat too.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:43 pm
Life goes on.

How do you earn the right to be a bit of a twat?

Seriously, I'm interested - I need to know if I've done enough, or just have to carry on being a twat-in-waiting.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:27 am

How do you earn the right to be a bit of a twat?

Seriously, I'm interested - I need to know if I've done enough, or just have to carry on being a twat-in-waiting.
Scoring against City and Liverpool, and being a one-club man in an age of professional football whoredom is good enough for me (see Carlos Tevez if you need a current example). If you have done any of those, I will confer the status of twattery as earned. Otherwise, you will have to make do with being a twat who just hasn't earned it yet, baby.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:29 am

Speaking as a red, there's no doubt Cantona was King... but much as I hate to say it, as far as his attitude goes, he was an arrogant twat too.
Arrogant, oui. Twat, non.

There are times when I'm at the vinegar strokes with Mrs E (ABCs only) and it's his face I see

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.