Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Total Medals vs Gold Medals

Total Medals vs Gold Medals

Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total Medals vs Gold Medals

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
The aussies were miffed the UK got more gold than them in Beijing, the fact the aussies got more overall medals than GB meant diddly shit to them, but to be fair to them, they didn't try to spin it either.....
actually we beat the Aussies on both counts in 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs#Medal_table

BTW I'm not sure I'd ever heard the term "Summer Olympics" before I moved to the USA: as far as I remember people in Britain only talked about the olympics or the winter olympics, and if people mentioned the former it was a given that they were referring to the games that took place in the summer.

Last edited by elfman; Mar 1st 2010 at 2:26 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:10 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Average inches of snow per capita, per annum?

Total height of all mountains in the country, per capita?

Average shoe size of the athletes?

Square root of the national debt?

It's all just a means to boast that "we're better than you". Or maybe "we're better at rushing citizenship through than you".

Who cares? It's all about the athletes, not their nationalities, surely.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be much happier without all the national hype that surrounds the Olympics. I agree with focusing on the athletes, wherever they are from.

Canada funded their "Own The Podium" program to the tune of about 110 million dollars. And that was just the INCREASE in annual spending on winter sports over 5 years. No clue what the total tab was. (forget the fact that had the Americans come up with a similar slogan and funding program they would have been vilified by the Canuks as arrogant etc) So the 26 medals they won cost $4,230,769 apiece. Hell of an investment. A real bargain. Can't imagine how that much money might have been better used. I long for the days when the Olympics was truly an amateur event.

Last edited by dakota44; Mar 1st 2010 at 3:30 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the IOC does not use either system.

It is against the Olympic charter to issue "rankings" in any form whatsoever. The IOC issues a "informational advisory" that lists medals by gold first, but it is not official and they will not comment on which they prefer. In their archives they list by the gold first standard, but again it is not official.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal_table

The US media (and Canada) has followed the total medal system for "as long as anyone can remember" according to sports media statisticians. I have some USOC guidebooks from the 50s and 60s and they are total medal rankings.

There is a very good article here about the 'debate':

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121856271893833843.html

Both systems have negatives. Even though total medals is regarded as 'an American thing' there are some in the Olympic movement that oppose the 'Gold First' standard. It is seen as leading to some countries focusing their sports funding ONLY on sports that they have a chance at getting a Gold in, rather than focusing on overall sports development within their countries. Resources are allocated to those programs which have a chance at gold, rather than a chance at reaching the podium (or, more broadly, improving the overall ability of the nation in that particular discipline) which sort of goes against the Olympic "spirit".