Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Tennis problems?

Tennis problems?

Old Apr 28th 2020, 10:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis problems?

I see Nowak Djokovich has sadi the he thinks his tennis career is probably over. He is an antivaxer, and believes that competitors will be forced to have pproof of an anti corvid 19 immunisation before they can play.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 4:17 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis problems?

It's not really a problem, if he's rich enough to make a personal decision to ignore science and do what he wants then that's up to him.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

If it,s a tennis problem.My advice ban it for 10 years and put paint drying on instead
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
It's not really a problem, if he's rich enough to make a personal decision to ignore science and do what he wants then that's up to him.
Ah, but is the science really settled, Spoogle. That's what they say about global warming, and a whole lot of other theories that are really not settled at all!
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! Double-posted, somehow

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; May 2nd 2020 at 5:15 pm. Reason: double-posted
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:47 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Ah, but is the science really settled, Spoogle. That's what they say about global warming, and a whole lot of other theories that are really not settled at all!
When it comes to vaccines yes it's completely settled, more people would die without vaccines than would with vaccines. The thing about science is you have to prove theories, a theory without proof isn't science. The problem with global warming is you can't really run controlled experiments so the results are also up for dispute, with vaccines that's not really the case.
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
When it comes to vaccines yes it's completely settled, more people would die without vaccines than would with vaccines. The thing about science is you have to prove theories, a theory without proof isn't science. The problem with global warming is you can't really run controlled experiments so the results are also up for dispute, with vaccines that's not really the case.
I take your point, although you would be brave to assert (or even imply) that every single vaccine in the entire world is safe - also, that every single aspect of anything labelled "science" is proven without a doubt. Of course you didn't really assert the first of those; you just noted that "more people would die without vaccines than would with vaccines", which may well be true, though a 51% majority isn't as comprehensive as it might be. And it's not a particularly scientific observation, surely...

I'm not really challenging you; I know little about science. But I know quite a bit about the English language, and I wonder (with respect) whether you've considered that. What do you reckon? "The science" can't be settled until we agree on what comprises "the science". I'm not convinced that even 51% more people would die than not (re all the vaccines that have ever been invented), but your guess is good enough for me.
Old May 2nd 2020, 7:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing in the world is totally safe, but one thing to consider, Smallpox, this has now been eradicated, and that was due to a vaccine being created.
Old May 2nd 2020, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Nothing in the world is totally safe, but one thing to consider, Smallpox, this has now been eradicated, and that was due to a vaccine being created.
Yes, Mike. Of course many - perhaps most - vaccines do what they're supposed to do. But not always. Not all vaccines are effective, or safe. Witness this report from a few years ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...u-coronavirus/
(I'm not a great believer in the WaPo; it will lie when it wants to. Still, it's the first thing Google showed me in my search.)
I see no sense in believing in any vaccine straight out of the test-tube. The science has to have time to settle - sometimes quite a long time.
Old May 2nd 2020, 10:16 pm
You aint seen me, right?

Some people will have issues with vaccines but they are few and far between, it's a bit like some people will die if they eat a peanut but the vast majority of people won't, now if those peanuts prevented sickness in people would you epect everyone to give them up just because a handful of people can't eat them? You'll always be taking a risk with a new vaccine but it's a calculated one if you consider the likelihood of getting the illness it's trying to prevent whether it be through directly harming you or by you passing it on to someone else.

By having a vaccine you're actually protecting the anti-vaxxers as it decreases their chances of getting the sickness passed on to them.

As for science there can always be doubts but if an experiment is controlled and repeatable with the same results you can have very few doubts. It's entirely possible that the world is full of invisible men pushing everything down but most people would go with the idea that gravity exists instead.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:17 pm
K38
Just Joined

K38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I see Nowak Djokovich has sadi the he thinks his tennis career is probably over. He is an antivaxer.
He'll change his mind when his kids start getting miserably sick for weeks from all the standard and preventable diseases whilst all the other kids simply feel a little poorly for a couple of days. I just hope his don't infect others too young to be immunised because he didn't even have the decency to isolate them...