Survey

Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Matt832 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Survey

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, I'm a final year student at University of Huddersfield and I'm writing my dissertation about sports marketing.

A part of it is a survey, which I would like to ask you to fill in. It won't take more than 3 minutes You can find it here

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CXHJPGW

I'll be really grateful

Cheers!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survey

Sport is in the heart. You can't force somebody to appreciate sport, you either love it or you don't. Publicising basketball more is not going to increase attendances.

Brits love football & have done for generations. Attendances fell during the 70's/80's because anyone attending a game risked getting their head battered to a pulp. Now the hooligan scene is over the crowds have returned again, whereas others will always prefer to watch a game on tv.

The only exception to the rule is the world cup, but that is nothing to do with sports marketing, but nationalist hype. The housewives flying England flags from the car still hate football, but they get caught up in the 'atmosphere'.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Matt832 is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate your answer and opinion but mine is different.

I don't think that you have to love some kind of sport to really appreciate it, if you do you're probably a devoted fan (like I am of basketball and football). I think you can just 'like' something to be entertained by it. I will use myself as an example again. I like tennis, I watch it from time to time and really enjoy it (especially Rafael Nadal) but I'm definetely not as big fan of as I am of basketball and I won't ever say that I love it.

I personally think that marketing is a big part of World Cup and any other international sport event. Just look at the Olympics 2012. Many powerful companies are sponsoring it (e.g. Lloyds TSB) and promoting it. Getting back to Football World Cup, thanks to successful marketing in USA (and building stronger national team as well) increases the audience in America every time (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...n-u-s-viewers/). Even though football is not a part of American culture and it isn't in their hearts people are concerned about their national teams performance. It could be the same with basketball in the UK.

Cheers
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in mind that you are surveying a group of people about basketball in the UK... and most of us have left the UK.

Personally I would rate basketball as one of the dullest team sports around. It's got almost no history in the UK and will probably never establish itself. It's seen as an American sport and that alone harms its chances.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt832 View Post
Getting back to Football World Cup, thanks to successful marketing in USA (and building stronger national team as well) increases the audience in America every time (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...n-u-s-viewers/). Even though football is not a part of American culture and it isn't in their hearts people are concerned about their national teams performance. It could be the same with basketball in the UK.

Cheers
There is a fundamental difference between the growth of football in the US and basketball's chances in the UK. The US has huge migrant populations from nations where football is king. Basketball has zero connection to the people in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Personally I would rate basketball as one of the dullest team sports around.

start at 100 points each and just play the last 5 seconds.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
start at 100 points each and just play the last 5 seconds.

The worrying thing about that survey is the upper age bracket is 'above 26'.

For someone that remembers the medolic stylings of Shakin' Stevens this is disturbing.
Old May 1st 2011, 2:17 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
There is a fundamental difference between the growth of football in the US and basketball's chances in the UK. The US has huge migrant populations from nations where football is king. Basketball has zero connection to the people in the UK.
I remember the 80's when Channel 4 used to show American Football. There was a lot of advertising and hype at the time, and quite a few people started to watch it. But it just died in the end because basically it's a very boring sport, and unless you have it in your blood, it's hard to get excited about it. I try watching the superbowl here, but I just can't stand the lack of actual ball playing. It's 30 seconds of play, then stop for a huddle and a team talk from any number of the many coaches, then cut to a commercial break.

Unless you're brought up on light beer and corn dogs, it's just not that exciting.