Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

SPL, Rangers in serious trouble

SPL, Rangers in serious trouble

Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:37 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPL, Rangers in serious trouble

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Really? You can see a merger of the two football leagues? Even after Scottish independence?
For Celtic definately, seen as the Scottish proddies don't want anything to do with Irish catholics, including their football team. Apparently.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts View Post
For Celtic definately, seen as the Scottish proddies don't want anything to do with Irish catholics, including their football team. Apparently.
Yeah, but you're just talking about Celtic, who have already been knocked back by the EPL anyway.... but what about the rest of the Scottish league? What do the likes of these have to offer the Football League? Annan Athletic, Berwick, Clyde, Elgin, etc.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:28 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but you're just talking about Celtic, who have already been knocked back by the EPL anyway.... but what about the rest of the Scottish league? What do the likes of these have to offer the Football League? Annan Athletic, Berwick, Clyde, Elgin, etc.
Nothing
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:42 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I will happily merge Berwick into the English football league
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

So who here believes this is a possibility?
"It could be the best thing to happen to Scottish football - a SPL without Rangers will force a complete reevaluation and may mean Scottish football being absorbed into the English leagues"

Who here the thinks the Scottish Football League will vote themselves out of existence?
Who here thinks the Football League can see any merit in absorbing the likes of Elgin City?
Who thinks that the clubs of the EPL will vote to take in Celtic and a bankrupt Rangers and at the same time possibly vote themselves out of the EPL?
Seriously is there anybody who actually thinks, for one second, that the Scottish and English football leagues will merge? Really?
The game isn't run for the benefit of the SFL. It's run for the teams. If the teams thought there was something better they'd resign from the league and start anew in much the same way they did by creating the SPL. Same story with EPL down south.
If there's a change in the league structure I don't think it'll be made specifically for the benefit of Elgin City or any of the other lower ranked clubs so I don't see the point in this argument. Notwithstanding, would this be any worse than watching QPR vs Wigan?
The EPL has already twice considered the inclusion of Rangers and Celtic in a revised league format. There's clearly a momentum there amongst some of the EPL clubs and you really have to widen your thinking on how this could be achieved. Personally, I don't think it would be the same format but It's not beyond the realm of possibility a two-tiered 36 club league system is created which would reduce the number of games the top teams play (#1 issue) and fulfill UEFA's desire for an 18 team league structure.

There are two facts you need to consider. First, the EPL's revenues have grown almost 40 fold to around $1.5Bn last year, since the league was created. Secondly, the 32 teams in last years Champions League shared almost $1Bn between them. The game is now all about money and the majority of this money goes to the same teams year after year creating a gulf between the top and lower teams in the same divisions. This is why we're seeing the same teams win their domestic leagues year after year across Europe - e.g. only two teams have ever won the SPL and 4 the EPL, etc. Nice for their fans but shit for all the rest of us and just look at what's happened to my beloved Portsmouth when they tried to match the spending. This isn't healthy for the game as a whole and prices many supporters out of watching as well as breaking their hearts i.e back to Portsmouth FC again. Also, how many times have you heard people say they now prefer the Championship to the EPL? Do you really think they'd be that hostile to a bit of cross border competition in the leagues? It'd make things a bit more interesting in my book.

As such, while I don't see the creation of a merged league anytime soon, I do see it as far more of a possibility than things continuing to stay static - you only have to look at the expansion of both the Champions and Europa leagues to see how the game is developing. So, based on what you wanted and on the balance of this argument Uncle Eb gets my vote over yours.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:02 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the support for some kind of merger/restructuring comes from north of the border, when many see the alternative as extinction. The old firm apart, teams are finding it hard to attract decent sponsorship, decent players and consequently gate receipts have plummetted. Half-decent players would rather play in the Championship in England, than in the SPL.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Macca67 View Post
The game isn't run for the benefit of the SFL. It's run for the teams. If the teams thought there was something better they'd resign from the league and start anew in much the same way they did by creating the SPL. Same story with EPL down south.
If there's a change in the league structure I don't think it'll be made specifically for the benefit of Elgin City or any of the other lower ranked clubs so I don't see the point in this argument. Notwithstanding, would this be any worse than watching QPR vs Wigan?
The EPL has already twice considered the inclusion of Rangers and Celtic in a revised league format. There's clearly a momentum there amongst some of the EPL clubs and you really have to widen your thinking on how this could be achieved. Personally, I don't think it would be the same format but It's not beyond the realm of possibility a two-tiered 36 club league system is created which would reduce the number of games the top teams play (#1 issue) and fulfill UEFA's desire for an 18 team league structure.

There are two facts you need to consider. First, the EPL's revenues have grown almost 40 fold to around $1.5Bn last year, since the league was created. Secondly, the 32 teams in last years Champions League shared almost $1Bn between them. The game is now all about money and the majority of this money goes to the same teams year after year creating a gulf between the top and lower teams in the same divisions. This is why we're seeing the same teams win their domestic leagues year after year across Europe - e.g. only two teams have ever won the SPL and 4 the EPL, etc. Nice for their fans but shit for all the rest of us and just look at what's happened to my beloved Portsmouth when they tried to match the spending. This isn't healthy for the game as a whole and prices many supporters out of watching as well as breaking their hearts i.e back to Portsmouth FC again. Also, how many times have you heard people say they now prefer the Championship to the EPL? Do you really think they'd be that hostile to a bit of cross border competition in the leagues? It'd make things a bit more interesting in my book.

As such, while I don't see the creation of a merged league anytime soon, I do see it as far more of a possibility than things continuing to stay static - you only have to look at the expansion of both the Champions and Europa leagues to see how the game is developing. So, based on what you wanted and on the balance of this argument Uncle Eb gets my vote over yours.
"all about money". Spot on... and how much money do you think is in it for the Football League to merge with the SFL? Even QPR vs Wigan attracted 16,000.
"Do you really think they'd be that hostile to a bit of cross border competition in the leagues? It'd make things a bit more interesting in my book"
I guess you don't remember the Anglo-Scottish Cup in the late 70's? Died from lack of interest. An attempt to revive it in 1988 was so successful it lasted one game.

The EPL has, as you say, already considered including Celtic and Rangers and rejected them. In it's current format they will never except them. An expanded EPL.. maybe, but the only clubs interested in that idea are the likes of Wolves, Birmingham, Fulham... the smaller clubs of the EPL. The 'bigger' clubs don't want it, their eyes are on Europe.

I guess we will have to wait and see who's right.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well they are now considering looking at offers for the club
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/160220...-purchase.html

Wouldnt it be ironic if the Vatican or Catholic Church put in a bid
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:22 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post

All those exorcisms would keep them busy.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post

I hope Rangers go into liquidation.

An institution they maybe, but no more so than the police, nurses, teachers, armed forces.... that all that tax money was due to support.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
I hope Rangers go into liquidation.

An institution they maybe, but no more so than the police, nurses, teachers, armed forces.... that all that tax money was due to support.
Being forced into liquidation by HMRC they've refuded to accept a CVA, so effectively they will be into liquidation, now they have to be sold off. Biggest problem they will face is that the other SPL clubs will now have to vote to see if they are allowed to stay in the SPL, and they will be banned from European competitions for 3 years.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rangers-fc-...114129718.html
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:15 pm

dollface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts View Post
Knickers! not true of all Scottish Proddies one half of my family are green grapes I mean Catholics

you know I luv ya
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:38 pm
Remainer

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67 View Post
At best the article you quote is a point of view and at worst simple fear mongering and self preservation. The precedent has already been set and you need look no further than Wales whose teams play in the English Leagues and still maintain an independent national team and FA.
I believe there are only 2 Welsh teams playing under the English FA umbrella, Swansea City and Cardiff City. They both worked their way up from the bottom, and if any Scottish teams were to apply to join the EPL I'd expect them to have to do the same.

If it did happen, how many Scottish fans would want to travel to away games at places like Plymouth Argyle and Southend Utd, and would these clubs want 2 away trips to Glasgow (or more as any club playing under England FA rules can enter the FA and League Cups).

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jun 15th 2012 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

As much as I would love to see Celtic playing the EPL, it won't happen!! FA rules don't allow it and the majority of EPL teams don't want it(1 team would be squeezed out from bottom and in time the of the table teams would have another challenging them at the top of the table!

While I am here I would also like to LAUGH at Rangers..... hahaha... serves the rancid cheating bastards right!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I believe there are only 2 Welsh teams playing under the English FA umbrella, Swansea City and Cardiff City. They both worked their way up from the bottom, and if any Scottish teams were to apply to join the EPL I'd expect them to have to do the same.

If it did happen, how many Scottish fans would want to travel to away games at places like Plymouth Argyle and Southend Utd, and would these clubs want 2 away trips to Glasgow (or more as any club playing under England FA rules can enter the FA and League Cups).
Dave, you took a long time thinking about this one.

Would the travel be any more difficult than a southern team traveling to Carlisle, Newcastle or Sunderland? Also, given the number of Jocks living in the south I think you'd be surprised how many fans would attend the games.

As for smaller teams traveling to long away games just think about the numbers teams take to those grounds when they meet a bigger club in the FA Cup - usually far greater than the numbers for home games. Nice day out in my book.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.