Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

So, guys, you reckon you could take a point off Serena Williams?

So, guys, you reckon you could take a point off Serena Williams?

Old Jul 14th 2019, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, guys, you reckon you could take a point off Serena Williams?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...illiams-tennis

Let us for a minute extend the benefit of the doubt to the 12% of men who believe they could take a point from Serena Williams in a tennis match, no doubt further emboldened by her defeat in the Wimbledon final.

For who can say what manner of fugue state they fell into as they answered a simple polling question? Could they have collectively imagined, as they pictured the holder of 23 grand slam titles shaping up to serve, a freak calamity overtaking her? A sinkhole opening up on her side of the net, perhaps, or a thunderbolt sent by a jealous athletic god; or, in more sinister fashion, a tripwire rigged up by an incel saboteur to fell her as she rushed in for the volley.

No: social media chatter suggested that what many of these tsars of self-belief were relying on was an unforced error – specifically a double fault. Such pyrrhic victory would not, it seems, worry them; a point, after all, is a point.

But we walk a tightrope when we condemn such apparently delusional thinking in the sporting arena; for where else are we supposed to indulge our fantasies of combining physical prowess, technical skill and mental toughness in pursuit of lifting a gilded trophy above our heads?
Tennis was not may main game and I was not very good, and admit my first thought was a double fault. But if we exclude that and at my best and a bit of luck then yes I think I could. But just a point.

Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:06 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, guys, you reckon you could take a point off Serena Williams?

Given my knee and back problems combined with never having been very good at tennis, i declare myself in the 88 per cent..... not a chance
Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well growing up Oooop North only posh kids played tennis so I am also in the 88%. WTF is tennis anyway isn't it just a bigger version of table tennis?
Old Jul 20th 2019, 2:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Didn’t we do all this already in the 1970s with Billie Jean King et al.? There’s a reason why we have separate men and women’s competitions in almost all sporting disciplines. Serena herself has said she wouldn’t win even a point against Andy Murray.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it has something to do with equality, taking into account the source.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 3:08 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Didn’t we do all this already in the 1970s with Billie Jean King et al.? There’s a reason why we have separate men and women’s competitions in almost all sporting disciplines. Serena herself has said she wouldn’t win even a point against Andy Murray.
yes indeed the Bobby Riggs fiascos and don't forget the early 90s farce of Connors vs Navratilova too.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was wrong, there is such a thing as a stupid question
Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:15 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I was wrong, there is such a thing as a stupid question
that's the first time you've seen a silly question on BE????
Old Jul 20th 2019, 5:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
that's the first time you've seen a silly question on BE????
Well I suppose I've asked a few in my time
Old Jul 20th 2019, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Well growing up Oooop North only posh kids played tennis so I am also in the 88%. WTF is tennis anyway isn't it just a bigger version of table tennis?
But isn't "table tennis" only a posh way of saying "ping-pong"?
Old Jul 20th 2019, 9:59 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Well I suppose I've asked a few in my time
You are not alone 🤗
Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:32 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I don't reckon I could. I'd have to get really lucky in fairness. So there's a chance.
But that's like saying could I beat Rory McIlroy for one hole in 18. Maybe, I'd have to get lucky, so there's a chance.

I respect the 12% who said they could, that's confidence and ambition and takes a lot of courage to back yourself like that. It's just another reason why men are better.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

I respect the 12% who said they could, that's confidence and ambition and takes a lot of courage to back yourself like that. It's just another reason why men are better.
You are a card
Old Jul 24th 2019, 7:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
But isn't "table tennis" only a posh way of saying "ping-pong"?
No, that’s “whiff-whaff”.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:24 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

99.9% of men have no chance.

Unless Serena double faulted or the individual played tennis to a county standard.

The average British male wouldn't even hit her or connect with her second serve. Then on the other side she would have no problem dealing with theirs.

People don't realise how good these tennis players are. You need to have had years and years of practice to read the serve and develop the anticipation to get to a ball that skids and spins.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.