Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
100 days until the World Cup starts!

114 days until England fly home!
Will the journalist be there waiting at Heathrow with donkeys in the Iceland branded carrier bags again?

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 6th 2018 at 11:20 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpic42 View Post
Every time I hear the word Southgate, my heart sinks
It doesn't matter who the England boss is.

We spent a fortune on Sven and Capello and they couldn't change the culture.

May as well just give it to someone who knows a bit about the set up like Southgate as he has as much chance as anybody at turning it around.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:48 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
Gone are the days of excitement for the wall chart and panini sticker albums
Speak for yourself. In the weeks before I take many trips to the mall to check which magazines have big, good wall charts. Last year there weren't any up to scratch so I printed one in high res, A3 size and it was sufficient.

The Mrs hates it but it's a ****ing world cup so yes, I'm going to watch Gambia vs Paraguay at 11pm because that's what you do.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Speak for yourself. In the weeks before I take many trips to the mall to check which magazines have big, good wall charts. Last year there weren't any up to scratch so I printed one in high res, A3 size and it was sufficient.

The Mrs hates it but it's a ****ing world cup so yes, I'm going to watch Gambia vs Paraguay at 11pm because that's what you do.
No, that’s what YOU do. You freak...
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:35 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:44 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

No, that’s what YOU do. You freak...
If you don't watch all available games at a world cup do you even like football?

I'm basically a full qualified scout by the end of it.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 11:17 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't watch all available games at a world cup do you even like football?

I'm basically a full qualified scout by the end of it.
Nope. International football is shit. Hate FIFA. Hate supporting players of clubs I can’t stand. If Sterling or Kane scored, I’d piss on my telly. Can’t stand the whole “Engerlund” thing. And can’t be arsed watching other countries who I have no emotional attachment to.

My only hope from the World Cup is that no United players get injured, and everyone else’s players get life-changing injuries.

United>England.

We have a song at OT...

World champions twice, world champions twice
Once more than England
World champions twice.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no doubt when the world cup is actually on, I'll be watching all sorts of weird games at odd times in the USA.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:01 am
WWLLCJD?

Nope. International football is shit. Hate FIFA. Hate supporting players of clubs I can’t stand. If Sterling or Kane scored, I’d piss on my telly. Can’t stand the whole “Engerlund” thing. And can’t be arsed watching other countries who I have no emotional attachment to.

My only hope from the World Cup is that no United players get injured, and everyone else’s players get life-changing injuries.

United>England.

We have a song at OT...

World champions twice, world champions twice
Once more than England
World champions twice.
Fair enough. Everyone is different eh, you're looking at it as a transaction type / emotionless event...I love the stories at a world cup, the fans, the truly global nature of it, the sheer love and joy of football and everyone getting together and watching history.

I ****ing love a World Cup. If it wasn't in Russia it would solve my summer holiday problems, that's for sure.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:20 am

Fair enough. Everyone is different eh, you're looking at it as a transaction type / emotionless event...I love the stories at a world cup, the fans, the truly global nature of it, the sheer love and joy of football and everyone getting together and watching history.

I ****ing love a World Cup. If it wasn't in Russia it would solve my summer holiday problems, that's for sure.
All fair points. Maybe mine is coloured by living through one in Africa, and seeing the soulless desperation of following England and the disparity between the way FIFA officials swan about the place and how the locals were treated / didn’t benefit as promised, and the billions in taxes FIFA avoided which would have materially changed the lives of ordinary Africans.

FIFA really are a stinking pile of spunk.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:43 am
WWLLCJD?

All fair points. Maybe mine is coloured by living through one in Africa, and seeing the soulless desperation of following England and the disparity between the way FIFA officials swan about the place and how the locals were treated / didn’t benefit as promised, and the billions in taxes FIFA avoided which would have materially changed the lives of ordinary Africans.

FIFA really are a stinking pile of spunk.
Very fair and shameful on their part.

FIFA are an atrocious organisation. I'm always keen to avoid the sports and politics mix and shut my mind from that so perhaps it's that willful ignorance that helps me.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:53 am

Very fair and shameful on their part.

FIFA are an atrocious organisation. I'm always keen to avoid the sports and politics mix and shut my mind from that so perhaps it's that willful ignorance that helps me.
I wouldn’t be so bold, but you’re probably right.

I heard a great podcast about a FIFA movie they commissioned with Tim Roth - United Passions? Never seen it, but apparently it’s so bad it’s actually funny. I really want to find a copy and see for myself. The fact that Blatter could reign for so long just tells you all you need to know about them.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I know Holland are going through a bad patch, but I feel the team selection was decent yesterday. My only concern is the central midfield. I don't know who I'd pick there. But I liked the line up and feel they did decent enough, certainly better to watch than England have been lately.

Now I'm saying we are going to win the world cup, but given what we saw yesterday, I think we can expect a couple of decent games from England!

Personal, I think the team should be, using the 3-4-3

Pickford
Walker---Stones---Maguire
Trippier---Henderson---Wilshire---Rose
Sterling---Kane---Lingard

Kane has to start, and those two either side of him are a must as they're in form. I think the defence looked solid, especially when dropping into a 5 man defence when Holland had the ball. Was surprised to see Walker play so well at CB, but he can do it and I'd like to see more of that! Rashford will make a good impact sub late on in the game, when other teams defenses are tired, especially when Lingard, Sterling, Trippier and Rose have ran at them all game long.

The midfiled is a tough selection, I'm not sure which pairing I'd go with! I don't like Ali lately, his game isn't where it needs to be I feel.

Just my personal opinion!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
I know Holland are going through a bad patch, but I feel the team selection was decent yesterday. My only concern is the central midfield. I don't know who I'd pick there. But I liked the line up and feel they did decent enough, certainly better to watch than England have been lately.

Now I'm saying we are going to win the world cup, but given what we saw yesterday, I think we can expect a couple of decent games from England!

Personal, I think the team should be, using the 3-4-3

Pickford
Walker---Stones---Maguire
Trippier---Henderson---Wilshire---Rose
Sterling---Kane---Lingard

Kane has to start, and those two either side of him are a must as they're in form. I think the defence looked solid, especially when dropping into a 5 man defence when Holland had the ball. Was surprised to see Walker play so well at CB, but he can do it and I'd like to see more of that! Rashford will make a good impact sub late on in the game, when other teams defenses are tired, especially when Lingard, Sterling, Trippier and Rose have ran at them all game long.

The midfiled is a tough selection, I'm not sure which pairing I'd go with! I don't like Ali lately, his game isn't where it needs to be I feel.

Just my personal opinion!
I agree with your comments.

England played the game the right way yesterday and moved the ball with a degree of fluency that I don't think we've seen before in terms of good backward passes to draw the dutch out.

Some of the players in the squad may not be getting the chance or the profile at bigger clubs but I do think overall player development has gone in the right direction.

I'd slot in Wilshere or Harry Winks like you have done to play next to Henderson.

Danny Rose didn't play particularly well so I'd also assess other left back options.

I really liked what Southgate did by pushing Walker into the back 3. He has the pace to help England recover from poor positions and I thought this was brave to try and deserves a lot of credit.

With Rashford, Alli, Dier, Vardy and Oxlade Chamberlain on the bench it provides some cover and opportunities to change it up.

Holland aren't the team they have been but to outplay them in their own back yard was encouraging.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 26th 2018 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:13 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a big gamble having Henderson AND Wilshire in midfield, both are made of glass and I can't see either of them being able to make it through 3 games unscathed. Lallana should be absolutely nowhere near the squad either, he's barely played this season and looked nothing like the player he was last year when he has played.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.