Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
Seems Russia are through now - can't see the Saudi's beating Uruguay to keep the group open, plus Russia's goal difference is strong. Crazy they came into this of the back of 7 games with no win and suddenly score for fun! Although, Egypt are not that great a team (barring Salah who's half decent), so I look forward to Russia playing a decent team!

Japan and Senegal surprised me today for sure! Senegal's second goal was sneaking but it wasn't exactly the best backpass to the keeper now, was it?

This tournament is turning out great. No boring 0-0 draws we often see in these kind of games and lots of goals. Loving it!
Most games have been as dull as dishwater! Although that shouldn't be surprising considering it is international football. Still, I am enjoying some of shock results. The games themselves have mostly been crap.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91 View Post
Great game. Always a pleasure watching Argentina get stuffed.

Otamendi is absolutely shocking. Rakitic and Modric are a joy to watch.
Croatia midfield is dangerous. I din't realise how good the team was until I actually looked at the line up properly! Croatia to be the surprise package?

Benk91, definitely right, always great to watch the Argies get stuffed. The keeper goofed up big time (why not just thwack it downfield instead of trying to be clever?) but the finish was still good all the same! Modric's movement to get into space to pull that shot of for his goal was nice too.
Croatia played them off the park. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Argentina so badly beaten.

If Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow then I think that’ll be it for Argentina. Either way they aren’t playing well enough to win and it doesn’t look like changing with Maradona and the population rounding on the coach after the Iceland draw.

I think France must really fancy their chances at this stage with Belgium second favourites.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 2:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Alli is a long shot to be fit and I'd be surprised if Southgate wanted to risk him with the big Belgium game just 4 days after.

Who would you have come in for him? Rashford, Loftus-Cheek or Welbeck? I can't see it being the latter but am indifferent about the first two. Another option maybe Dier although with Henderson on the pitch I think that would be a little negative in a must win game against arguably the weakest side in the competition.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Alli is a long shot to be fit and I'd be surprised if Southgate wanted to risk him with the big Belgium game just 4 days after.

Who would you have come in for him? Rashford, Loftus-Cheek or Welbeck? I can't see it being the latter but am indifferent about the first two. Another option maybe Dier although with Henderson on the pitch I think that would be a little negative in a must win game against arguably the weakest side in the competition.
Sterling to be dropped for Rashford. Loftus-Cheek on for Alli. I wish Rose would get a start over Young but I don't see it happening! Just my thoughts/opinion!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 10:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Sterling to be dropped for Rashford. Loftus-Cheek on for Alli. I wish Rose would get a start over Young but I don't see it happening! Just my thoughts/opinion!
A lot of people on my Facebook are advocates of Rose starting over Young.

It may give England a little more width but I'm not sure Rose is at his physical peak. He's a decent player but without stamina he looked shocking on the last England friendly he played. If he'd got in a run in at Tottenham before the World Cup he'd be left back. I think Southgate is right to stick with Young although I think it's definitely questionable (like the Sterling inclusion).
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people on my Facebook are advocates of Rose starting over Young.

It may give England a little more width but I'm not sure Rose is at his physical peak. He's a decent player but without stamina he looked shocking on the last England friendly he played. If he'd got in a run in at Tottenham before the World Cup he'd be left back. I think Southgate is right to stick with Young although I think it's definitely questionable (like the Sterling inclusion).
I feel Rose would give us something more than Young does. And would some game time vs. Panama be a bad thing for him?

The line up I would like to see for the Panama game is: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rose, Loftus-Cheek, Henderson, Lingard, Kane, Rashford. Obviously in the usual 3-5-2 or whatever it is supposed to be! It reads more as a 3-3-2-2 to me with the players selected? But hey ho! I feel confident for Sunday, but then I said that for Tunisia and that was a grinded win - albeit a later winner England wouldn't have dug in for in the past so that was nice to see. It's on at 7am here in St Louis, so I'm off to a bar at 6:30am to drink and watch the game!

I felt the Serbia vs. Switzerland was an absolute cracker of a game. Serbia scoring so early made the game more exciting; especially the second half. Nigeria winning opens up that group! I would like to see Nigeria draw or beat Argentina, but I see some sort of 4-0 rout by Argentina and they'll scrape through in second place unfortunately!

Only 4 teams have cemented there places in the next round so far, out of 10 places that could have been cemented already if teams had won both games. Look like we are in for a thrilling, open final round of games!
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Rose, would be strange not to start him.

Sweden vs Ze Germans was a very good game, absolutely gutted for Sweden and really hoped the Germans would be out of the tournament but that Kroos free-kick is definitely a contender for goal of the tournament!
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Kuntz.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Another vote for Rose, would be strange not to start him.

Sweden vs Ze Germans was a very good game, absolutely gutted for Sweden and really hoped the Germans would be out of the tournament but that Kroos free-kick is definitely a contender for goal of the tournament!
I was so excited that the Swedes were beating them! Shame it didn't happen. When Germany had that free kick, I told my wife it was going in. Germany were knocking on that door heavily towards the end of the game. That result means every team in that group can still qualify for the next round, crazy!

Excited for England tomorrow! Off to a soccer bar at 6:30am to watch it
Old Jun 24th 2018, 5:37 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I was so excited that the Swedes were beating them! Shame it didn't happen. When Germany had that free kick, I told my wife it was going in. Germany were knocking on that door heavily towards the end of the game. That result means every team in that group can still qualify for the next round, crazy!

Excited for England tomorrow! Off to a soccer bar at 6:30am to watch it
Shame on you.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 4:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I was in the bar at 7.50am for the kick off at 8. Not that much of an achievement as the bar is pretty much under my building.

England should have been awarded a penalty twice on the same corner than Stones scored from for fouling. As the game progressed it was no surprise that they ended up winning two penalties with the hugging and pulling by Panama.

Overall England cruised through and Lindgaard's goal was a beauty. England's defending wasn't great though and Panama should have opened the scoring and also added another in the second half. If you add the Panama goal England gave them 3 very clear good chances which is some cause for concern as conceding 3 against a stronger side will be problematic.

Nice to be through to the Round of 16. It'll be interesting to see how the team is set up for Belgium. Someone at the bar was pointing out to me that they believe second in the group would give England an easier ride than first in the group.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the bar at 7.50am for the kick off at 8. Not that much of an achievement as the bar is pretty much under my building.

England should have been awarded a penalty twice on the same corner than Stones scored from for fouling. As the game progressed it was no surprise that they ended up winning two penalties with the hugging and pulling by Panama.

Overall England cruised through and Lindgaard's goal was a beauty. England's defending wasn't great though and Panama should have opened the scoring and also added another in the second half. If you add the Panama goal England gave them 3 very clear good chances which is some cause for concern as conceding 3 against a stronger side will be problematic.

Nice to be through to the Round of 16. It'll be interesting to see how the team is set up for Belgium. Someone at the bar was pointing out to me that they believe second in the group would give England an easier ride than first in the group.
Someone mentioned that after the game too. I still think it'll be nice to push for a win. If we're going to go far in the tournament, beating someone of the caliber of Belgium will definitely set down a marker.

Very excited for Thursday!
Old Jun 24th 2018, 7:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Someone mentioned that after the game too. I still think it'll be nice to push for a win. If we're going to go far in the tournament, beating someone of the caliber of Belgium will definitely set down a marker.

Agreed. Similarly a slap down by Belgium could deal a psychological blow and we go into the last 16 feeling very nervy.

Sky summarize well but it's all hypothetical. They mention Germany who are already walking a tightrope.

​​​​​​England knockout permutations: Would a second-placed finish in Group G be preferable? | Football News | Sky Sports
Old Jun 24th 2018, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The place was rocking and full of English people! Was cracking!! Lingards goal was nice. It was nice to finally have a ref who was firm and fair and took no crap of anyone! Yeah, I do worry for the defence but hopefully these 'easier' games are helping build the confidence up. Also, a 6-1 win by England at a major tournament is brilliant I feel - regardless of who our opponents are. We struggle to beat teams like this usually and the pressure of a big stage can get to us - so was nice to see a free scoring England for once.

Yeah for sure, second in our group may be an easier ride, but losing to Belgium would hurt us more than drawing/beating them, as I feel we would lose a lot of confidence. And Belgium have a great team, so it'll be interesting to see how we do against them Thursday.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.