Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Jun 19th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
How popular is footy over in the middle East, does the WC have a big following?
Pommy, I was in a place called Barasti Beach Bar for the games last night (normally not my bag as its a bit chavvy financial services / real estateish these days), however, they have a purpose build 'dome' on the beach. It has a capacity of 1,000 and was full before KO.... it has pretty much a cinema screen, strobes, air cannons etc etc. They probably have at least room for another 500-700 up in another section with an only slightly smaller screen too. And this is only one of many places who have gone the whole hog, so yeah the WC is huge here.

Taken about 30mins before KO last night.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:35 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I agree with this, but I like Southgate and think he's got something to offer. Let's hope he has the balls to drop Sterling as a start.

It's ****ing massive, honestly. The World Cup really does deserve to come here as the region is mad for it.
Some of the venues to go and watch the football in are incredible too. I saw something in the paper about a bloke in Norfolk or somewhere building a temporary stand for a few hundred in his pub car park. Think that....but bigger and better
Sounds great, my love, WC fever has definitely taken a nose dive here in the UK, takes some of the excitement out of enjoying the tournament.

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Pommy, I was in a place called Barasti Beach Bar for the games last night (normally not my bag as its a bit chavvy financial services / real estateish these days), however, they have a purpose build 'dome' on the beach. It has a capacity of 1,000 and was full before KO.... it has pretty much a cinema screen, strobes, air cannons etc etc. They probably have at least room for another 500-700 up in another section with an only slightly smaller screen too. And this is only one of many places who have gone the whole hog, so yeah the WC is huge here.

Taken about 30mins before KO last night.
That looks great, jam! (although can't help thinking it's the sort of place where Scamp would have a few, start shouting out obscenities and end up being beaten up/arrested.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 4:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
They shouldn't have struggled against a team that is not top tier. Mexico vs. Germany was an upset but Mexico is in a different league to Tunisia.
Why not? A complete lack of respect to a team because they are from Africa? Or are you a person who doesn't normally watch football?

England have been matched by teams of this calibre many times.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 4:20 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Why not? A complete lack of respect to a team because they are from Africa? Or are you a person who doesn't normally watch football?

England have been matched by teams of this calibre many times.
Seriously? Are you trying to say that Tunisia are as good a team as Mexico, and also claim the "watches more football" pissing contest?

That fact that teams like Tunisia do well against England is more indicative of how woeful England are at tournaments.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Seriously? Are you trying to say that Tunisia are as good a team as Mexico, and also claim the "watches more football" pissing contest?

That fact that teams like Tunisia do well against England is more indicative of how woeful England are at tournaments.
Both in the same league as England at last look. Mexico aren't great and it was a wake up call for Germany.

That performance was above average for England but the last two World Cup squads (Brazil and South Africa) would have been put to the sword by that Tunisia side. It was the first time in 10 World Cup games that England had managed to score more than once.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:57 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Both in the same league as England at last look. Mexico aren't great and it was a wake up call for Germany.

That performance was above average for England but the last two World Cup squads (Brazil and South Africa) would have been put to the sword by that Tunisia side. It was the first time in 10 World Cup games that England had managed to score more than once.
Disagree. They have decent players, and they had a good game plan to beat Germany. They weren't lucky, they were good.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 7:11 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the World Cup, cricket is amazing today.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Disagree. They have decent players, and they had a good game plan to beat Germany. They weren't lucky, they were good.
Who are their decent players then?

How far do you think Mexico will get?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:24 pm
I love my brick!

Who are their decent players then?

How far do you think Mexico will get?
Lozano, Chicarito and Jimenez are all quality forwards. Ochoa is an excellent shot stopper, probably made the save of the tournament in Brazil. The midfield and defence are all solid, nothing spectacular.

I think they will get out the group, but probably play Brazil in R16 and lose there.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Seems Russia are through now - can't see the Saudi's beating Uruguay to keep the group open, plus Russia's goal difference is strong. Crazy they came into this of the back of 7 games with no win and suddenly score for fun! Although, Egypt are not that great a team (barring Salah who's half decent), so I look forward to Russia playing a decent team!

Japan and Senegal surprised me today for sure! Senegal's second goal was sneaking but it wasn't exactly the best backpass to the keeper now, was it?

This tournament is turning out great. No boring 0-0 draws we often see in these kind of games and lots of goals. Loving it!
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:24 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. Mo and Ramzan Kadyrov, let Liverpool sell him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...chen-strongman

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 20th 2018 at 3:30 am.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:27 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
That looks great, jam! (although can't help thinking it's the sort of place where Scamp would have a few, start shouting out obscenities and end up being beaten up/arrested.
Hang on a minute....Although, last time I was in the Barasti dome at a world cup it was Argentina v Switzerland (I think) and you could tweet photos at half time. I tweeted a photo of British troops on the Falklands which was ****ing hilarious, obviously. Until I realised my twitter photo is just my face, then sat conveniently alongside some provocation of the Argies.

I don't cause any beef though. I'm a lover.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Great game. Always a pleasure watching Argentina get stuffed.

Otamendi is absolutely shocking. Rakitic and Modric are a joy to watch.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Croatia midfield is dangerous. I din't realise how good the team was until I actually looked at the line up properly! Croatia to be the surprise package?

Benk91, definitely right, always great to watch the Argies get stuffed. The keeper goofed up big time (why not just thwack it downfield instead of trying to be clever?) but the finish was still good all the same! Modric's movement to get into space to pull that shot of for his goal was nice too.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.