Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Russia 2018 World Cup

Russia 2018 World Cup

Old Jun 16th 2018, 6:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia 2018 World Cup

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
The Spain and Portugal game was an absolute corker. Costa bullying the defence. Ronaldo hattrick (I still think he's a whinger and a [email protected]*T though), and end to end stuff. Although Spain deserved it, they sat back and tried to hold on to the one goal cushion which hurt them! I said that free kick was going in to my wife, it was all set up for that! Can't see past Portugal and Spain for that group to progress. Going to be a matter of how many goals they each score against the rest of the group now.

The Socceroo's are holding there own against France right now. Pogba is doing terrible and is overrated, as usual.
The free kick was Seaman/ Koeman all over again. Everyone knew where it was going except De Gea. Spain will be kicking themselves as going forward they were a delight. Super soft at the back though with a defender being done by the basic Ronaldo step over, De Gea with Karius handling and a poorly judged free kick. Full credit to Portugal and Ronaldo for sticking to the task and Ronaldo once again proving he still is the best player on the planet in terms of ability, consistency and doing it on the grand stage.

I really felt for Peru against Denmark. You could see the fear in the poor lad who missed the penalty and they had so so many good chances.

The Iceland fairy tale also continued. Messi missing another big penalty when it matters and snatching at his chances. I accept that Iceland beating England was a big upset but is it biblical? I believe Iceland in the last 4 years have beaten Holland, France, England and now secured a draw with Argentina. They are the greatest international side of all time if you start picking at the demographics.

So far the World Cup has been refreshing. Normally it can take a group game or two to get going but I've not seen a poor game yet.
I'm really enjoying it so far and massively pissed off I'm booked to play golf tomorrow when the Brazilians play the Swiss! I wish I was in Blighty so I could at least follow on an old fashioned radio.

Last edited by JamesM; Jun 16th 2018 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
The free kick was Seaman/ Koeman all over again. Everyone knew where it was going except De Gea. Spain will be kicking themselves as going forward they were a delight. Super soft at the back though with a defender being done by the basic Ronaldo step over, De Gea with Karius handling and a poorly judged free kick. Full credit to Portugal and Ronaldo for sticking to the task and Ronaldo once again proving he still is the best player on the planet in terms of ability, consistency and doing it on the grand stage.

I really felt for Peru against Denmark. You could see the fear in the poor lad who missed the penalty and they had so so many good chances.

The Iceland fairy tale also continued. Messi missing another big penalty when it matters and snatching at his chances. I accept that Iceland beating England was a big upset but is it biblical? I believe Iceland in the last 4 years have beaten Holland, France, England and now secured a draw with Argentina. They are the greatest international side of all time if you start picking at the demographics.

So far the World Cup has been refreshing. Normally it can take a group game or two to get going but I've not seen a poor game yet.
I'm really enjoying it so far and massively pissed off I'm booked to play golf tomorrow when the Brazilians play the Swiss! I wish I was in Blighty so I could at least follow on an old fashioned radio.
I honestly think we need to stop classing Iceland as 'underdogs'. Yeah they don't play pretty football or have a big nation, but they play as a team, and get the job done, and are actually pretty decent as a unit. I feel the first 2 games of the world cup were terrible, but from then on we have gotten into the swing of things for sure.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think we need to stop classing Iceland as 'underdogs'. Yeah they don't play pretty football or have a big nation, but they play as a team, and get the job done, and are actually pretty decent as a unit. I feel the first 2 games of the world cup were terrible, but from then on we have gotten into the swing of things for sure.
I thought the Russian's gave a good account of themselves and got their partizan crowd going.

I also liked watching the Egyptians hold out Uruguay with some fine saves from their keeper. A lot of press believe Uruguay are decent outsiders.

Playing pretty football rarely wins tournaments. It's about defending well when your back is against the wall that is why Iceland are a top tournament team and it's why historically teams that concede the least goals win the competition.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

strat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't agree more with posts here, haven't seen a game that I haven't enjoyed yet. honestly haven't watched much of any football since coming over to the US 20 years ago and this is the first World Cup (since Pele encountered Gordan Banks....) I've really had a chance to watch everything so far (nice to be retired felt for all those teams that ended up on the losing side, Egypt, Peru etc... those guys played their hearts out. Dearly want to see Salah? play...
Old Jun 16th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Over here in Kazan and having a brilliant time.Great atmosphere at the France V. Australia game and throughout the city both pre game and afterwards. Security and organisation first class. What a beautiful city Kazan is. Never heard of it before. Enjoying dark Russian beer, pity Budweiser are one of the main sponsors.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 9:30 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser View Post
Enjoying dark Russian beer...
Have you sampled the Russian blondes yet?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Truly sad for Peru. They played fast and organized and really put the pressure on in the last 20 or so. The missed penalty shot and Near misses of the net and great saves by Denmarks keeper did them in. Be interesting to see how they do with France.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:45 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Truly sad for Peru. They played fast and organized and really put the pressure on in the last 20 or so. The missed penalty shot and Near misses of the net and great saves by Denmarks keeper did them in. Be interesting to see how they do with France.
Peru deserved a point at least. What are the expectations down there?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Peru deserved a point at least. What are the expectations down there?
<br />I am not there these days..but went in April. They are over the moon that Peru made it in. No matter the result..they will be their heroes. No one I know there harbors any illusion about winning. They will be thrilled if they get through the first group.

Then they get ready for the PanAm games in Lima next year. Loads of footy for them.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe some of the visitors will see that Russia is not the bogeyman portrayed in the Mainstream Media ! A modern country with ordinary people going about their business.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 7:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Maybe some of the visitors will see that Russia is not the bogeyman portrayed in the Mainstream Media ! A modern country with ordinary people going about their business.
The country and its ordinary citizens isn't the problem..
Old Jun 18th 2018, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man - this world cup just keeps on giving!!

The Swiss were resilient against Brazil - a lot of other teams would have let their heads drop and given in to Brazil after that corker of a goal. But the Swiss didn't and got the reward they deserved. Mexico beating Germany was lovely to witness!! The pace of those Mexicans when they're countering is frightful, definitely a team to watch for sure. I enjoyed the counter attacking football but dang, didn't the Germans look slow and off the pace in this one!?

Overall, the tournament is a cracking one so far and I'm loving every second of it. Cannot wait for tomorrows billing - will be watching Belgium against Panama to see how they look and hopefully watch England get off to a good start for a change. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:22 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man - this world cup just keeps on giving!!

The Swiss were resilient against Brazil - a lot of other teams would have let their heads drop and given in to Brazil after that corker of a goal. But the Swiss didn't and got the reward they deserved. Mexico beating Germany was lovely to witness!! The pace of those Mexicans when they're countering is frightful, definitely a team to watch for sure. I enjoyed the counter attacking football but dang, didn't the Germans look slow and off the pace in this one!?

Overall, the tournament is a cracking one so far and I'm loving every second of it. Cannot wait for tomorrows billing - will be watching Belgium against Panama to see how they look and hopefully watch England get off to a good start for a change. Fingers crossed!
Sunday was a great day's football to watch, and what a great day's football for the underdog! Agree the tournament has been great so far, let's hope England don't go and spoil it for all of us later.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:53 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

A 5-0 kicking was terrible?

No pleasing some people...
Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterdevinsis View Post
Anyway, this sort of championship just gathers plenty of football players who are overly paid to hit a leather ball... What about the money they could spend for associations or NGO's which take care of people in need or of the planet ? ...
Yawn....

Anyway, agree with most of the above. Haven't seen all the games but watched seen a few. Thoroughly enjoyed the Mexicans last night and the Brazil game. Didn't feel too good in work today. Onwards to England tonight!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.