Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Running help

Running help

Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Running help

I was hoping for a bit of advise of ways to improve my running - if anyone can.

I have been running for about 18 months now 3 times a week (1 x 5km, 1 x 10- 20km and 1 x 5 km ). I completed my first half marathon last March and I am due to run one again this March and also the London Marathon on the 17th April (the date is seared in my brain !! ). Some days it is pure torture and others just a little bit ! We are currently following a training programme and are increasing our long run by a mile a week. I also try to do 1 fartlek session a week.

My only concern is that I don't feel I have improved in the entire 18 mths which is slightly depressing. I can run 5km but then will have to stop for a couple of minutes and then continue for another few kms - is this normal ? It just never seems any easier from week to the next.

I am female, 40 next week, 5 ft 5 and weigh about 60kgs - thats another thing I thought I might have lost a bit of weight but it has just stayed the same .

Thanks for any pointers.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running help

Originally Posted by Reading fan View Post
I was hoping for a bit of advise of ways to improve my running - if anyone can.

I have been running for about 18 months now 3 times a week (1 x 5km, 1 x 10- 20km and 1 x 5 km ). I completed my first half marathon last March and I am due to run one again this March and also the London Marathon on the 17th April (the date is seared in my brain !! ). Some days it is pure torture and others just a little bit ! We are currently following a training programme and are increasing our long run by a mile a week. I also try to do 1 fartlek session a week.

My only concern is that I don't feel I have improved in the entire 18 mths which is slightly depressing. I can run 5km but then will have to stop for a couple of minutes and then continue for another few kms - is this normal ? It just never seems any easier from week to the next.

I am female, 40 next week, 5 ft 5 and weigh about 60kgs - thats another thing I thought I might have lost a bit of weight but it has just stayed the same .

Thanks for any pointers.
Fartlek sessions will help but are you doing any hill work or mile repeats? The key to improving your performance is varying your running regime that also involves cycling, swimming and core strengthening work, etc.

FWIW, I think 3 times per week is light for marathon training especially when your long run is flanked by x2 3 milers.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Thanks for your reply.

All our runs include hills as we live in a very hilly area and are something we cannot avoid.

I understand what you are saying ref. not enough training for a marathon. We are following a 26 week programme - the 2 shorter runs are now increasing to 5 miles each. I am not wanting to break any records - I just want to get around the course and try to improve my fitness. I loved the half marathon and feel I am definitely a runner who thrives on the 'event' whereas my running partner crashed and burned.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:00 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

To lose weight you need to break down muscle by exercise every day.

Running every other day (approx) allows a day for the broken down muscle to build up. Muscle increase will = weight increase or at least, no loss.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ref weight loss - how long would i have to exercise for to get the benefits ? I am also trying to walk back and forth to school which is 4 miles in total. I have a good x-trainer at home that I could use as well.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:45 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure to be honest. A long time ago I did a small amount of weight training and it was explained to me that to build muscle you should train every other day but to avoid muscle build up you should do the same every day.

So I'd assume (and assume only) that the same or similar running regime everyday would be the way to go.