Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2019

Rugby World Cup 2019

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 12:36 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2019

Rats.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sowing the whirlwind, I'd like to congratulate the South Africa on their win - and to commiserate with England for being the final Northern Hemisphere team to run into a Southern Hemisphere brick wall.

Likewise, congrats to New Zealand for picking themselves up off the floor after their semi-final drubbing, but commiserations to Wales for being on the end of that rebound. I'd also like to thank Japan for hosting a great RWC (even if it didn't go the way some of us would like...) and to congratulate their team on an outstanding set of games.

The end of the RWC has seen many good players retire and also changes in the coaching teams - International rugby will have some building to do before the next one.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering why, apart from Mclaiams (spelling) excellent summary why have not seen any comments from fans of "The World Beaters"

They were previously out in force.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko View Post
Just wondering why, apart from Mclaiams (spelling) excellent summary why have not seen any comments from fans of "The World Beaters"

You're too kind

However, I am (allegedly) an England-hating ABE troll who has no right posting on this august forum.

You have been warned.......
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:29 am
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko View Post

I think you've got your threads mixed up unless by 'World Beaters' you actually mean New Zealand.
The most positive comment regarding England was "England all the way" and that was a comment on one specific win as illustrated by the comment about the red card. There were three comments after the final expressing disappointment.

I don't suppose you'd be one of those mentioned in post 51?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:52 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked England to win the final but they were beaten by a better team on the day. Seeing the All Blacks lose just makes me very happy. Before I moved to NZ I didn't feel that way, infact I was expecting to support them as my second team. However, then you start listening to biased commentators during a game and it just got on my wick. The same in the media and from locals. I think you have to experience it living here to understand it.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:58 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I would have liked England to win the final but they were beaten by a better team on the day. Seeing the All Blacks lose just makes me very happy. Before I moved to NZ I didn't feel that way, infact I was expecting to support them as my second team. However, then you start listening to biased commentators during a game and it just got on my wick. The same in the media and from locals. I think you have to experience it living here to understand it.
Yes,
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think you've got your threads mixed up unless by 'World Beaters' you actually mean New Zealand.
The most positive comment regarding England was "England all the way" and that was a comment on one specific win as illustrated by the comment about the red card. There were three comments after the final expressing disappointment.

I don't suppose you'd be one of those mentioned in post 51?
If your tag is right, you'd appreciate my smile at the description - I was at St.Brendan's after transferring from Limerick CBC..... 26 acres of rugby fields - imagine!! (unfortunately, red clay that turned to slime in the rain - still, that was better than the infamous chalk nodules at Bristol Grammar!) Our team was made up of more nationalities than you could shake a stick at - Italian, Polish - even American! The trophy cabinet held an England shirt (this was before Mike Rafter); a Wales shirt, a couple of Ireland shirts and(if memory serves me) a Kiwi shirt. Jake Polledri's dad, Peter, was one of Elwyn Price's rising stars and the All Blacks visited us during their UK tour. It completed my conversion from GAA to Union! Sad that it fell victim to the changing times.......

Last edited by macliam; Nov 13th 2019 at 2:44 am.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:35 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
If your tag is right, you'd appreciate my smile at the description - I was at St.Brendan's after transferring from Limerick CBC..... 26 acres of rugby fields - imagine!! (unfortunately, red clay that turned to slime in the rain - still, that was better than the infamous chalk nodules at Bristol Grammar!) Our team was made up of more nationalities than you could shake a stick at - Italian, Polish - even American! The trophy cabinet held an England shirt (this was before Mike Rafter); a Wales shirt, a couple of Ireland shirts and(if memory serves me) a Kiwi shirt. Jake Polledri's dad, Peter, was one of Elwyn Price's rising stars and the All Blacks visited us during their UK tour. It completed my conversion from GAA to Union! Sad that it fell victim to the changing times.......
I was at Briz comprehensive!! 68-73. I can only remember one match against St Brendan's. Really good fetes there.
At Briz they gave schoolboy passes to the Memorial ground and I went most Saturdays whether it was the first team or the reserves (United).

My maths teacher was Jim Waterman who played for Bath
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was at Briz comprehensive!! 68-73. I can only remember one match against St Brendan's. Really good fetes there.
At Briz they gave schoolboy passes to the Memorial ground and I went most Saturdays whether it was the first team or the reserves (United).

My maths teacher was Jim Waterman who played for Bath
I lived in Bath, but travelled to Brislington each day on the 339 until I got my motorbike... I went off to UNI in '74 (having cocked up one year's exams because I'd discovered girls!!).

Mike Rafter was a year or two before me, Pete Polledri was about the same below me. My Rugby took a backseat after I popped my knee when some b****** caught my trailing leg as I was charging for the line, in a game against Blackrock (bloody jackeens!). Elwyn said I'd probably not be able to play for a month..... and he was right(ish) - I couldn't walk properly for a year!!

I never went to a Bath match, but back home my uncle was a regular at Dooradoyle and Thomond Park - Limerick was always big on Rugby and nowhere more so than Garryowen. He was pleased as punch when I took up the game and left GAA sport behind me - I was pleased because I found it less tiring (have you ever watched a Gaelic Football or Hurling game?)!!
Old Nov 13th 2019, 4:25 pm
A girly swot

I lived in Bath, but travelled to Brislington each day on the 339 until I got my motorbike
Ah, the 339. Used to get it from Briz to Bath for the occasional night out and also returning from Saltford after walking there to the Jolly Sailor on bank holidays.
(have you ever watched a Gaelic Football or Hurling game?)!!
I have a vague recollection of Gaelic football on World of Sport once. Funny game but not as weird as Aussie (no) Rules!
Football style goal but the posts extended up rugby style? Points for something like rugby's drop-goal but more for scoring in the goal, something like that?

Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, the 339. Used to get it from Briz to Bath for the occasional night out and also returning from Saltford after walking there to the Jolly Sailor on bank holidays.
I have a vague recollection of Gaelic football on World of Sport once. Funny game but not as weird as Aussie (no) Rules!
Football style goal but the posts extended up rugby style? Points for something like rugby's drop-goal but more for scoring in the goal, something like that?
Yes, have a look at both football and hurling on YouTube. In Football (see here) there are 15 men per team, with a round ball, 1 point for getting the ball between the sticks above the crossbar, 3 points for getting it past the keeper below the crossbar. The ball can be held (but not picked up!) but only carried for 4 paces, after which it must be "soloed" (which means dropped to the foot and kicked back into the hands...... while running full pelt!), bounced or passed - oh,and you can't throw the ball, it must be punted with the side of a closed fist. Clear?!! (see video here)

The field is huge (145m x 90m) and there's no need for VAR as there is a ref, 2 linesmen and 4 umpires who stand at each corner and declare whether or not points have been scored. Gaelic Football is fast and pretty much non-stop. Matches are 2 halves of 30 minutes.... any longer and there would be fatalities!!

Hurling (see here) is reputed to be the fastest field sport in the world - it has similar rules to Gaelic football, but is played with a stick (hurley) and a ball (sliotar) the hurley is like a pickaxe handle made of Ash (or synthetic these days ), the sliotar is like a cricket ball, but with the hide around it sewn like a tennis ball and the seams left high. Getting hit with either a hurley or a sliotar is best avoided - the fastest recorded speed for a sliotar was over 180kmh, so it hurts!! (see video here)

Last edited by macliam; Nov 13th 2019 at 5:20 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:01 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I would have liked England to win the final but they were beaten by a better team on the day. Seeing the All Blacks lose just makes me very happy.
yeah me too.

I think the home nations did ok.

England beat NZ, which I for one didn't see coming and were well beaten by an excellent SA in the final.

Wales continue to over achieve and to get as far as they did was outstanding and a credit to Gats and his coaches.

This world cup maybe came a year too late for an Irish team who for me have been the best northern hemisphere team for the last decade, 12 months ago I'd have been expecting Ireland to be the main challengers to SA\NZ.

Scotland for me are the underachievers year in year out some great players but the sum of the whole is less than the sum of the parts

Only 4 years to the next one...

Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:10 pm
A girly swot

Yes, have a look at both football and hurling on YouTube. In Football (see here) there are 15 men per team, with a round ball, 1 point for getting the ball between the sticks above the crossbar, 3 points for getting it past the keeper below the crossbar. The ball can be held (but not picked up!) but only carried for 4 paces, after which it must be "soloed" (which means dropped to the foot and kicked back into the hands...... while running full pelt!), bounced or passed - oh,and you can't throw the ball, it must be punted with the side of a closed fist. Clear?!!
Yes, that rings a bell.
We had the odd Shinty game at school, plus the unpleasantly named Stoolball.