British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup 2019 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/rugby-world-cup-2019-a-928054/)

BEVS Oct 31st 2019 12:50 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12755589)

Our local supermarket has suddenly become devoid of all rugby references :rolleyes:, Halloween stuff has suddenly taken pride of place and no-one mentioned the game :rofl:
Sometimes living in New Zealand can be amusing!

Ya mate or is that Ka Mate.
It's been a bit touchy & bitter around the edges in places. It was golden silence at husband's works. You would have thought there was no RWC.
As you say, all ABs paraphernalia disappeared from stores and All Hallows eve ware has arisen.
What is clear is that we - me and him - may not celebrate as the English immigrants we are as then we are seen to gloat. We are only to commiserate at the ABs tough luck. We have even had the bit about disrespect and being disloyal to NZ until I pointed out that no-one asks the Italian or Hungarian clubs to not support their home country in sport.

Batten down the hatches for the weekend but remember no matter what it must be :tape: .

macliam Oct 31st 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756763)
........Of course, ITV is commercial too. What do they do at the end of the match?

If South Africa wins, not a lot.

If England wins, we won't hear the end of it for another 16 years........:getcoat:

BristolUK Oct 31st 2019 1:22 am

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12756766)
If England wins, we won't hear the end of it for another 16 years........:getcoat:

It's rugby, not football. :p

macliam Oct 31st 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756779)
It's rugby, not football. :p

You obviously haven't been seeing UK TV!!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4286e47f1c.jpg

BristolUK Oct 31st 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12756794)
You obviously haven't been seeing UK TV!!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4286e47f1c.jpg

What a great picture :lol:

I usually edit out pictures when I quote but I'll make an exception for that one. ;)

Scamp Oct 31st 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756763)
Of course, ITV is commercial too. What do they do at the end of the match?

I'm resigned to knowing that the shit show of a sports broadcaster here in the Middle East will cut to commercial at the end of the game, they'll have no pundits to speak of whatsoever and will not return to see the trophy or anything. Heaven forbid it goes to ET, it will probably not be shown.

ITV as a broadcaster are good, caught some of this back in the UK, fantastic pundits too.

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12756766)
If South Africa wins, not a lot.

Good, it's only right and proper we get to stuff these victories down the throats of the Welsh, Scots and Irish for the incessant abuse we suffer from the ABE's.

Garbatellamike Oct 31st 2019 9:58 am

just an obervation but why does someone who hates Britain, and England in particular, comment on a British Expats forum? Be careful engaging with macliam guys he has form on trolling....

macliam Oct 31st 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12756929)
just an obervation but why does someone who hates Britain, and England in particular, comment on a British Expats forum? Be careful engaging with macliam guys he has form on trolling....

Thank you for your input - please supply any evidence of trolling or supposed "hatred", particularly in a relatively lighthearted exchange - or is this just an attempt to close down someone with an different viewpoint?

I'd suggest living and working in the UK over the past 40+ years and now living part time in another EU state qualifies me to comment every bit as much as expats who have not lived in the UK for many years. If not, then I'm sure the mods will let me know.....

Vitalstatistix Nov 1st 2019 12:49 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12756765)
Ya mate or is that Ka Mate.
It's been a bit touchy & bitter around the edges in places. It was golden silence at husband's works. You would have thought there was no RWC.
As you say, all ABs paraphernalia disappeared from stores and All Hallows eve ware has arisen.
What is clear is that we - me and him - may not celebrate as the English immigrants we are as then we are seen to gloat. We are only to commiserate at the ABs tough luck. We have even had the bit about disrespect and being disloyal to NZ until I pointed out that no-one asks the Italian or Hungarian clubs to not support their home country in sport.

Batten down the hatches for the weekend but remember no matter what it must be :tape: .

I can't help myself and mention our win at any chance I get. Funny how people suddenly didn't watch the game or aren't really interested in Rugby union :rofl:! Did overhear Mr Big Sticks talking to a client on Tuesday and he mentioned it too! We like to live dangerously :scaredhair:
A couple of our neighbours are South African, so that should make for an interesting weekend :boxing:

BristolUK Nov 1st 2019 1:24 am

Almost no mention of the play off match Friday. It may not have the intensity of the other games but there's no such thing as a friendly in international rugby.

BEVS Nov 1st 2019 5:40 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12757422)
Almost no mention of the play off match Friday. It may not have the intensity of the other games but there's no such thing as a friendly in international rugby.

Not too much mention here TBH. Other than ABs getting to play their open running rugby which only they do and it is the way the game should be played.

It is on very late so the decision is to go for complete radio silence and watch first thing in the morning.

Originally the 3/4th place was not going to be screened at all on N TV as it was of no interest because the ABs were going to be in the final and win. Now there has been a scramble to get it onto NZ TV. It will be a delay of one hour.

Apparently this is the ABs showing the world that they are the best in the world still....despite not being in the final. :huh:

NZ will watch the RWC final I feel because the Wales coach is Kiwi.

Sonny Bill did not want to associate with a 3/4 play off but seems to have altered his mind.

BristolUK Nov 1st 2019 1:35 pm

Nice to see Kieran Read leading the Haka today.

Anyone remember what the haka used to look like? :o

BEVS Nov 2nd 2019 8:27 am

9.30pm here Not long to go

BEVS Nov 2nd 2019 9:59 am

Meh

Novocastrian Nov 2nd 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12758041)
Meh

Kak.