Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The Rugby League Thread ...

The Rugby League Thread ...

Old May 10th 2007, 10:52 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby League Thread ...

Talking of past greats anybody going to the Legends of League game at Ipswich next Saturday (19th)

Kangaroos Kiwis
Robbie O'Davis Gary Kemble
Tim Brasher Sean Hoppee
Michael Hancock Sam Panapa
Gary Jack Jason Williams
Jamie Ainscough Richie Barnett
Ben Ikin Gene Ngamu
Cliff Lyons Gary Freeman
Paul Sironin Grant Young
Ben Elias Clayton Friend
Jason Hetherington Kurt Sorensen
Wayne Bartrim Sam Stewart
Craig Greenhill James Goulding
Gary Belcher Tyran Smith
Kerry Boustead Mark Horo
Darren Smith Shane Horo
Gordon Tallis Tony Tatupu
Brad Fittler Jason Lawrie

Coach: Tommy Raudonikis Coach: Tawera Nikau

Looks like a good $15 worth to me

Last edited by loz; May 10th 2007 at 10:57 pm.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Oops sorry made a bugger of that but haven't got time to edit it again

Loz x
Old May 10th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by loz View Post
Talking of past greats anybody going to the Legends of League game at Ipswich next Saturday (19th)

Kangaroos Kiwis
Tim Brasher Sean Hoppee
Gary Jack Jason Williams
Ben Ikin Gene Ngamu
Cliff Lyons Gary Freeman
Paul Sironin Grant Young
Ben Elias Clayton Friend
Gary Belcher Tyran Smith
Kerry Boustead Mark Horo
Darren Smith Shane Horo

Mmm,looks good,will have to see if i can make it,doubtful though.3 old London players in there,plus a guy i used to love watching play in his heyday,Kurt Sorensen!
Old May 11th 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco View Post
I havent actually seen the list yet Bill - bearing in mind the Broncos have only been in existance for 20 years anyone who has been at the club more then 5 years is bound to have a shot and shaun has played in a few Grand Final Winning sides I'm not really that surprised
Yeah,guess youre right,its all about opinions anyway.Guys like Willie Carne,Lote Tuquiri and Trevor Gilmeister never made it,but Michael de vere did
Old May 11th 2007, 2:53 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz View Post

Kangaroos Kiwis
Tim Brasher Sean Hoppee
Gary Jack Jason Williams
Ben Ikin Gene Ngamu
Cliff Lyons Gary Freeman
Paul Sironin Grant Young
Ben Elias Clayton Friend
Gary Belcher Tyran Smith
Kerry Boustead Mark Horo
Darren Smith Shane Horo

Thats some list of talent ...Sam Panapa one the strongest blokes I ever met ....he was known in Wigan as Sam Pan o Pea's ....I don't suppose Tawera Nikau will be doing any kicking do you ...
Old May 11th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power View Post
Thats some list of talent ...Sam Panapa one the strongest blokes I ever met ....he was known in Wigan as Sam Pan o Pea's ....I don't suppose Tawera Nikau will be doing any kicking do you ...
No probably not,but i wouldnt put it past him,hes a tough hombre is Nikau.Read his book "standing tall" a while back,hes been through some sh1t what with his wife taking her life and then losing his leg in a motorbike accident.Hes actually got into the boxing ring since the accident and had a couple of celebrity sporting bouts,gotta take your hat off to him.Was one of the most aggressive players on the pitch i think ive seen!
Old May 11th 2007, 12:52 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power View Post
I heard he has a trial at wigin
Old May 11th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bill drinkwater View Post
Yeah,guess youre right,its all about opinions anyway.Guys like Willie Carne,Lote Tuquiri and Trevor Gilmeister never made it,but Michael de vere did
Just out of interest Bill - u able to post the list for me please?
Old May 12th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Wally Lewis

· Gene Miles

· Terry Matterson

· Chris Johns

· Glenn Lazarus

· Steve Renouf

· Mick Hancock

· Kerrod Walters

· Kevin Walters

· Wendell Sailor

· Allan Langer

· Andrew Gee

· Gorden Tallis

· Mick De Vere

· Shane Webcke

· Shaun Berrigan

· Tonie Carroll

· Petero Civoniceva

· Darren Lockyer

· Brad Thorn

Meanwhile, Queensland rugby league legends Miles, Langer and Lewis have been brought together again in a People’s Choice team of the best Ergon Energy Broncos’ players of all time.
The team was selected through an on-line poll, driven by The Courier Mail newspaper, radio station 4BC and Channel Nine, showed that memories were long amongst fans in Queensland.
Lewis and Langer filled the halves, while Miles joined Steve Renouf in the centres.
Langer was an almost unanimous choice in the number-seven jersey, polling nearly 99 per cent of the vote, while Darren Lockyer was also extremely high, finishing with 91 per cent of the submitted choice for the fullback position.
Shane Webcke was the stand-out choice as prop with Glenn Lazarus also selected, while Gorden Tallis got nearly half of the second row votes. Trevor Gillmeister finished second in that vote, with Tonie Carroll grabbing the lock position.
Kerrod Walters was easily the choice as the Broncos’ top hooker, while two of the greatest try scorers in club history, Mick Hancock and Wendell Sailor, were voted as the best wingers.
The People’s Choice team is;

1. Darren Lockyer

2. Michael Hancock

3. Gene Miles

4. Steve Renouf

5. Wendell Sailor

6. Wally Lewis

7. Allan Langer

8. Shane Webcke

9. Kerrod Walters

10. Glenn Lazarus

11. Gorden Tallis

12. Trevor Gillmeister

13. Tonie Carroll
Wonder how they would fit this team under the salary cap??

Last edited by bill drinkwater; May 12th 2007 at 1:23 am.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bill drinkwater View Post
Wally Lewis

· Gene Miles

· Terry Matterson

· Chris Johns

· Glenn Lazarus

· Steve Renouf

· Mick Hancock

· Kerrod Walters

· Kevin Walters

· Wendell Sailor

· Allan Langer

· Andrew Gee

· Gorden Tallis

· Mick De Vere

· Shane Webcke

· Shaun Berrigan

· Tonie Carroll

· Petero Civoniceva

· Darren Lockyer

· Brad Thorn

Meanwhile, Queensland rugby league legends Miles, Langer and Lewis have been brought together again in a People’s Choice team of the best Ergon Energy Broncos’ players of all time.
The team was selected through an on-line poll, driven by The Courier Mail newspaper, radio station 4BC and Channel Nine, showed that memories were long amongst fans in Queensland.
Lewis and Langer filled the halves, while Miles joined Steve Renouf in the centres.
Langer was an almost unanimous choice in the number-seven jersey, polling nearly 99 per cent of the vote, while Darren Lockyer was also extremely high, finishing with 91 per cent of the submitted choice for the fullback position.
Shane Webcke was the stand-out choice as prop with Glenn Lazarus also selected, while Gorden Tallis got nearly half of the second row votes. Trevor Gillmeister finished second in that vote, with Tonie Carroll grabbing the lock position.
Kerrod Walters was easily the choice as the Broncos’ top hooker, while two of the greatest try scorers in club history, Mick Hancock and Wendell Sailor, were voted as the best wingers.
The People’s Choice team is;

1. Darren Lockyer

2. Michael Hancock

3. Gene Miles

4. Steve Renouf

5. Wendell Sailor

6. Wally Lewis

7. Allan Langer

8. Shane Webcke

9. Kerrod Walters

10. Glenn Lazarus

11. Gorden Tallis

12. Trevor Gillmeister

13. Tonie Carroll
Wonder how they would fit this team under the salary cap??
I think the fans have got it a bit more accurate!!!!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

So what do we think of the Origin selections????
Old May 16th 2007, 7:40 am
loz
this is home!!

Thought they might have rested Lockyer for this one after his knock on Friday. Would have been the perfect chance to try Bowen at fullback and Thurston at 5/8th. Have to say at the moment Hunt isn't 'doing it' for me at fullback people are reading his moves like a book, the spark and 'go forward' seems to be in hibernation.

Loz x
Old May 16th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

As a cockroach it pains me to say Queensland are looking good to me!I am happy not to see Billy Slater in the team,i think hes one of the most dangerous and exciting players in the NRL,personally i just dont rate Bell,and not sure Carroll and Tate are in their best form but they usually come good for origin.Costigan and Webb will be fired up big time and will be out to put Willie and co on the back foot right from the off!!On the whole a very strong side if they can leave out guys like Slater,Bowen,Nutley.
Blues team worries me a bit,Mullen looks a decent player but they are really over rating him since Joeys retirement,and maybe a debut at Suncorp will find him out a bit,same goes for Hayne.
Qld to win series 2-1
Old May 16th 2007, 3:27 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

It may be just me but I view Sailor in the same vain as Offiah, score a lot of tries because he was in a good team but couldn't play rugby if his life depended on it
Old May 17th 2007, 1:30 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough I guess, they can't pick everyone in form but it would have been nice to see Bowen play. I reckon the maroons will be too strong even at half-strength.

I bloody hope so, I paid enough for the ticket, first game of league I will see too ... looking forward to it A LOT

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.