Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Rugby League

Rugby League

Old Oct 7th 2018, 3:43 pm
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Well, good luck! And while I'm here: why exactly do they call it "the million-pound game"? My guess is that it's worth a million pounds to be in the top division with access to all the advertising, but it's just a guess.
It is the amount that a Super League team gets in central funding from the RFL.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 3:46 pm
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Massive victory for Toronto today.
I missed the game but read the report. Quite the result away at Leeds. I honestly thought that they would get rolled over and be playing the million pound game away. Im actually glad that it is in Toronto as it adds a bit more sparkle to the event. We are off down the pub to watch it as my cable has thrown a wobbler ......I'll manage
Old Oct 7th 2018, 3:50 pm
The Curry Monster

About how much do top division RL players get paid each year, in England - any idea? And, how much in the NRL?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/39520864

Article on the BBC talking about the wages in SL and NRL
Old Oct 7th 2018, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/39520864

Article on the BBC talking about the wages in SL and NRL
Thanks for the link, Alex. Much appreciated. Gosh, I didn't realise the pay-gap between League and Union was so great in England. I've no idea of the corresponding gap in Australia, but it's probably less, because Union is the minority code there.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Half-time at Toronto, as I type this, with no tries yet in a very scrappy game. Whoever wins, I hope they invest their million pounds in some more disciplined players.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 7:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Half-time at Toronto, as I type this, with no tries yet in a very scrappy game. Whoever wins, I hope they invest their million pounds in some more disciplined players.
That was an absolutely brutal game of Rugby to watch.

The Wolfpack's total lack of flair finally catching up with them in a game where they were odds on favourites.

Credit to London who absolutely nailed every tackle and pulled of the upset.

Back to the drawing board for Toronto. It's very frustrating to miss out on the Super League. I'm not sure I'll renew my season ticket next year because it's one up one down. The Super 8 for me contained all the excitement and whilst the Wolfpack were found out during it the games were close and exciting and seeing teams like Salford and Leeds was awesome.

The new promotion/relegation I think will not benefit the game in the long run.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just been watching Australia v Tonga (on TV), played in Auckland with 26,000 Tongans in the stands - or 26,000 supporters, more likely, since Wikipedia says the entire population of Tonga is only 100,000! It's a bit of an uneven match, although the Kangaroos will know they've been in a fight.

As I reported in an earlier post, I've only recently returned to Rugby League after 50 years or so without, and what English commentators call "the modern game" is still a bit new to me. Can anybody answer these questions please? When did they start using tees for kicks at goal? And when did they first allow trainers and water-boys to run onto the field of play? (And what's the penalty - if any - if they ever accidentally get in the way?)
Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I just now caught the last 20 minutes of last year's Challenge Cup final, on Sky Sports USA! Better late than never, eh? A bit scrappy, those 20 minutes: Catalan were pretty much out on their feet, and hung on only by the skin of their teeth. (Mixing a couple of nice metaphors, there...) Nice to see the Dragons come good, though. Against the odds, I would guess - was it? Did anybody here see the game live?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

James, this Wikipedia entry for the Toronto Wolfpack might interest you - and (who knows?) maybe one or two of the 17,000 viewers of this thread. A shame the team didn't make it to the Super League last year, but they have to earn their way. Good luck to them, and I hope Sky Sports USA lets us see some of their games this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Wolfpack
Old Feb 13th 2019, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a bit of an argument on one of the other threads as to which Rugby code gave birth to American/Canadian "gridiron" football. Here's what I posted about it: The two Rugby codes have each changed quite a bit since they split, but I would say that "gridiron" is more likely to have developed from Rugby League than Union. In League, as you will know, each run with the ball ends with a stoppage in play, whereas in Union there's a ruck with no stoppage.

Does any visitor to this present thread have any thoughts on the matter?
Old Mar 15th 2019, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just watched the NRL's opening game (I think it was!) on Friday night from Sydney. A good tough game, with more illegality than I'd like to have seen. The refereeing wasn't quite up to scratch, and the linesmen are still only calling one in three forward-passes... But nobody's perfect, right? Does anybody else prefer NRL to Super League, besides me?
Old Apr 10th 2019, 3:34 pm
The Curry Monster

I've just watched the NRL's opening game (I think it was!) on Friday night from Sydney. A good tough game, with more illegality than I'd like to have seen. The refereeing wasn't quite up to scratch, and the linesmen are still only calling one in three forward-passes... But nobody's perfect, right? Does anybody else prefer NRL to Super League, besides me?
I have not had a chance to watch any NRL yet this season but I am hoping the Bulldogs avoid the wooden spoon. As for NRL vs Super League much to my annoyance my Canadian Mrs does! I am convinced its because the Aussie lads are better looking with better tans There is still a gap in the overall quality in favour of the NRL however I think that the top clubs in SL and NRL would compete on an even footing

We have just been back to the UK for a few weeks and went to watch Warrington v London Broncos. This was the first live game that the Mrs had been to and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was despite the one sided score line.

We are looking forward to going to see Toronto v Bradford next month
Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alex2201 View Post
There is still a gap in the overall quality in favour of the NRL however I think that the top clubs in SL and NRL would compete on an even footing
In general I'd say that's right, but the World Cup Challenge in February - between the Australian and the British champion clubs - was extremely tight until the last few minutes. Wigan's defence was far superior overall, despite the result. There are good and bad games in both leagues - and good and bad refereeing decisions, too! Far too many forward-passes are allowed, IMHO, and "knock-ons" are ruled to be knock-backs more often than they should be. Sigh...

I hope your Toronto team does better this year than last. (Yes, I know Windsor is not Toronto; I used to spend weeks in Windsor on the audit of Kaiser Jeep, way back when. But I don't suppose Windsor has its own RL team - or does it?)
Old May 7th 2019, 4:14 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto- Bradford was a good game of rugby league.

The Wolfpack not back in town now till June.

The only stadium in the world where a kicker can hit a streetcar. Video by yours truly!:

Last edited by JamesM; May 7th 2019 at 4:18 am.
Old May 12th 2019, 6:02 pm
The Curry Monster

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Toronto- Bradford was a good game of rugby league.

The Wolfpack not back in town now till June.

The only stadium in the world where a kicker can hit a streetcar. Video by yours truly!:
I seem to remember that getting the loudest cheer of the afternoon We enjoyed it. We thought that Bradford's kicking game let them down a bit. Decent showing from their fans too. We were sitting on the same side roughly by the halfway line and were surrounded by Bulls shirts.

Do the Toronto fans always make those daft howling sounds?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.