Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Rugby League

Rugby League

Old Jul 15th 2018, 12:30 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

The WolkPack have already won their division.

Just sitting back now and waiting for Super 8.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to ticket and beer prices next season when they open in the Super League.

I'd also love a look at their business accounts to see how much money is is subsidising them and how much revenue is being generated.

That being said I'm still enjoying the ride.

Toronto fans are getting better in the sense that the fan base is a little more knowledgable at mid point of the second season. We do need to do away with the group in the corner that carry a rip off of TFC's chanting. They're kind of a waste of time.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I caught my first glimpse of the Pack this afternoon, a home game against Hull KR. A pretty scrappy game, I have to say. Not too impressive. And the worst thing about the whole experience was a silly girl screeching out the Canadian National Anthem: "Ho, Canadahh, whee stand honn guard for thhheee". Blimey Charlie!

How much do the English players get paid for playing in Toronto's colours, by the way?
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I caught my first glimpse of the Pack this afternoon, a home game against Hull KR. A pretty scrappy game, I have to say. Not too impressive. And the worst thing about the whole experience was a silly girl screeching out the Canadian National Anthem: "Ho, Canadahh, whee stand honn guard for thhheee". Blimey Charlie!

How much do the English players get paid for playing in Toronto's colours, by the way?
I made it to the game and yes that girl was brutal on both national anthems!

The Wolfpack weren't good and were not aided by the loss their top try scorer through injury early in the first half. That combined with the injuries to their two first choice wingers the week before left them completely devoid of ideas when trying to break through Hull. They simply didn't move the ball well enough in the final third and paid the price against a very well coached Super League team.

It wasn't a beautiful game of Rugby League but there was an intensity to it and it was good to have a competitive close game on display and get some anxiety into the crowd.

I must admit I thought Super League was going to be a given but with games against Widnes and Salford to come I think it will go to the wire.

The good news is season tickets for next year are already available and still just $250.

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 19th 2018 at 8:16 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 4:58 am
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I made it to the game and yes that girl was brutal on both national anthems!

The Wolfpack weren't good and were not aided by the loss their top try scorer through injury early in the first half. That combined with the injuries to their two first choice wingers the week before left them completely devoid of ideas when trying to break through Hull. They simply didn't move the ball well enough in the final third and paid the price against a very well coached Super League team.

It wasn't a beautiful game of Rugby League but there was an intensity to it and it was good to have a competitive close game on display and get some anxiety into the crowd.

I must admit I thought Super League was going to be a given but with games against Widnes and Salford to come I think it will go to the wire.

The good news is season tickets for next year are already available and still just $250.
I was listening to the BBC Five Live RL podcast a few weeks ago and one of the pundits suggested that Toronto may not have the cake walk to SL that many were predicting. There still remains a gulf in class and yes they have players missing but KR looked much the better side on the day. Im not convinced that Widnes are dead and buried yet and may make the million pound but they would have difficulty in beating an egg at minute I think that Salford will beat them and Leeds will thump them. This leaves London and Toulouse. I think both of these are cup finals for all three teams involved.

In other news I was crying in my pint at Warrington's Challenge cup final performance. Congratulations to Catalans. The better team on the day deserved the Cup.

$250 for a season ticket is fantastic.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

The gulf reared it's ugly head again yesterday.

The Toronto full back O'Brien had a shocking first half and by half time they were 20-0 down.

They've dominated the Championship by smashing teams through the middle but like Kingston before against Salford they were matched for size and power and again looked idealess in the final third with very little invention.

They started the second half strong but you could see Salford had mentally switched off. As the Wolf pack rallied Salford re-engaged and again in the final 20 minutes showed up the Wolfpack by nullifying their limp attacks.

Toulouse next week is a big game for Toronto. If they win that they are set up nicely for the final two games.

I don't see them beating Leeds but victory over Widness would mean they host the million pound game which I think would create a lot of buzz here in Canada and actually be good for the whole game.

They'll need to get busy in the summer though signing better players or next season will be a long one.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The gulf reared it's ugly head again yesterday.

They've dominated the Championship by smashing teams through the middle but like Kingston before against Salford they were matched for size and power and again looked idealess in the final third with very little invention.

They started the second half strong but you could see Salford had mentally switched off. As the Wolf pack rallied Salford re-engaged and again in the final 20 minutes showed up the Wolfpack by nullifying their limp attacks.
I watched the first half on Sunday on the Fox Sports channel, but couldn't be bothered to watch the second. TOR were way too undisciplined. Salford is a strong team at any time, and the gulf was very much in evidence. Ah well, they probably said the same things about the Catalans in their time, so there's hope. It would be great to see a Canadian team in the SL.

FSC also covers the NRL, where the standard is generally higher, and I saw a terrific game between South Sydney and - uh, I've forgotten - Cronulla, I think. I wonder if anybody else saw that one.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 2:02 am
Dive Bar Drunk

I watched the first half on Sunday on the Fox Sports channel, but couldn't be bothered to watch the second. TOR were way too undisciplined. Salford is a strong team at any time, and the gulf was very much in evidence. Ah well, they probably said the same things about the Catalans in their time, so there's hope. It would be great to see a Canadian team in the SL.

FSC also covers the NRL, where the standard is generally higher, and I saw a terrific game between South Sydney and - uh, I've forgotten - Cronulla, I think. I wonder if anybody else saw that one.
See the game today?

It was a nail biter!

I can't see Toronto winning in Leeds next week so I think we'll have the million pound game here in Toronto on Thanksgiving Weekend.

My only concern now is it will be Toulouse again and they could turn us over.

Anyway it is going to the wire for sure!
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just been half-watching Toronto v Widnes. Congrats to TO, but it was a very scrappy game, and not much fun to watch. I can't see either of those teams doing at all well next season without some radical improvement!
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 10:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I've just been half-watching Toronto v Widnes. Congrats to TO, but it was a very scrappy game, and not much fun to watch. I can't see either of those teams doing at all well next season without some radical improvement!
I agree. I was there. Toronto try to steam through teams. They don't seem to have the invention and ball movement to break through.

Some interesting results today though with both London and Toulouse winning their games.

I'm still waiting to see an updated table but ultimately 6 of the 8 teams in Super 8 qualifiers still have something to play for with one round to go.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 3:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Massive victory for Toronto today.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Massive victory for Toronto today.
I just saw the match today on ESPN. Hardly a massive victory! A scrappy game, though with two excellent tries: Leeds's one under the post, and TO's last one. There seemed to be only two TO supporters there - were you one of them? I'm glad for the team, anyway. It's good to see overseas teams in the Super Eights.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

The million pound game is in Toronto next weekend. Unfortunately it clashes with Thanksgiving so I think I'm out of town.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The million pound game is in Toronto next weekend. Unfortunately it clashes with Thanksgiving so I think I'm out of town.
Well, good luck! And while I'm here: why exactly do they call it "the million-pound game"? My guess is that it's worth a million pounds to be in the top division with access to all the advertising, but it's just a guess.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 11:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Well, good luck! And while I'm here: why exactly do they call it "the million-pound game"? My guess is that it's worth a million pounds to be in the top division with access to all the advertising, but it's just a guess.
Yes. I'd guess it's worth that in additional TV revenue. It has a nice ring to it though and it will drive lots of publicity to the sport in Toronto and across Canada over the next week.

It's small potatoes compared to promotion to the Premier League in Football.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes. I'd guess it's worth that in additional TV revenue. It has a nice ring to it though and it will drive lots of publicity to the sport in Toronto and across Canada over the next week.

It's small potatoes compared to promotion to the Premier League in Football.
About how much do top division RL players get paid each year, in England - any idea? And, how much in the NRL?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.