Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Old May 24th 2013, 2:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League

Went to the game last night.

was a fun affair, lots of "tailgating" beforehand. lots of fans of different clubs, we all seemed to get along well.

The stadium looked superb with the Arch as the backdrop.

For all the baseball numpties that got pissed off we "Desecrated" their field for a grass fairy 0-0" can **** right off too. 4-3 plenty of #goalshots
Attached Thumbnails Premier League-busch2norm.jpg   Premier League-busch1pan.jpg  
Old May 24th 2013, 2:34 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
You've been here how long and you're typing y'all? Plastic

He'll be saying "ya used t'could", next.
Old May 24th 2013, 2:46 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
Went to the game last night.

was a fun affair, lots of "tailgating" beforehand. lots of fans of different clubs, we all seemed to get along well.

The stadium looked superb with the Arch as the backdrop.

For all the baseball numpties that got pissed off we "Desecrated" their field for a grass fairy 0-0" can **** right off too. 4-3 plenty of #goalshots
No disrespect intended mate, but isn't City and Chelski playing in Missouri, rather like having the NY Giants vs Patriots in Cornwall?

My mate back home (chelski-ite) was instant messaging me about it as he was watching it on chelseatv, and asked where Missouri was.. I had to say "Somewhere in the middle"
Old May 24th 2013, 3:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
No disrespect intended mate, but isn't City and Chelski playing in Missouri, rather like having the NY Giants vs Patriots in Cornwall?
I suppose it would be like that, if Cornwall ever got a city with 2.7million people living in it.
and another on the other side of Cornwall with 2.05 million like Kansas City, Missouri.

maybe Cornwall has had the Olympic games too....... then it would be similar.
or a Worlds fair.

How about it would be the similar if University of Penzance was a world leader in medical training like WashU and SLU.
or Edward Jones company starting out in Truro.

and Cornwall having 2 of the longest rivers flowing through it........

Yeah, I can see where you would think that.

Last edited by Manc; May 24th 2013 at 3:08 pm.
Old May 24th 2013, 3:26 pm

I suppose it would be like that, if Cornwall ever got a city with 2.7million people living in it.

and another on the other side of Cornwall with 2.05 million like Kansas City, Missouri.

and Cornwall having 2 of the longest rivers flowing through it........

Sorry mate, no offence intended, I completely forgot that Missouri was the centre of the Universe.

It was a joke, but the point was that even with a close proximity population of that size, what's the interest in football as opposed to say baseball? What's an average home attendance for the kansas wiz mls side, 10,000 a game?
Old May 24th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I am a dedicated follower of the best team out there.
So you've gone from being a Chelsea fan, to a Spurs fan, to a Bayern Munich fan in the space of a weak. Interesting.
Old May 24th 2013, 3:38 pm
@matthewb76

Sorry mate, no offence intended, I completely forgot that Missouri was the centre of the Universe.
it is now I live here.
It was a joke, but the point was that even with a close proximity population of that size, what's the interest in football as opposed to say baseball? What's an average home attendance for the kansas wiz mls side, 10,000 a game?
I know it was a joke..... the whole "flyover" states thing. truth be told I love this place. easily the nicest place I've lived in since moving here (then again, I did live in Detroit....)

Football is huge here. I believe this was a test run for the MLS coming into town.
I heard rumours of the Rams going to Vegas and them putting a team in the Edward Jones Dome. Don't know how that would fare being an indoor field.

However, fact remains, St Louis is the biggest "small market" MLB city in the country. The place loves it's Cardinals, and I've become wrapped up in it too.
The Blues hockey too, but they never win the Stanley Cup.

I heard rumours of another preseason game in August or September. if then, you'd imagine it's Spanish or Italian teams then as the EPL will have started.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:44 pm

it is now I live here.

I know it was a joke..... the whole "flyover" states thing. truth be told I love this place. easily the nicest place I've lived in since moving here (then again, I did live in Detroit....)

Football is huge here. I believe this was a test run for the MLS coming into town.
I heard rumours of the Rams going to Vegas and them putting a team in the Edward Jones Dome. Don't know how that would fare being an indoor field.

However, fact remains, St Louis is the biggest "small market" MLB city in the country. The place loves it's Cardinals, and I've become wrapped up in it too.
The Blues hockey too, but they never win the Stanley Cup.

I heard rumours of another preseason game in August or September. if then, you'd imagine it's Spanish or Italian teams then as the EPL will have started.
Interesting. I never really thought of St Louis as a place where they'd be so into football, let alone a possible venue for an MLS side. Weird how we judge things, eh? I always think of mls as a Northern state thing, no idea why, but probably because every game I saw on tv when I was first here seemed to involve the Chicago Fire or New England Revolution.
We used to have the Rowdies down here (way before I arrived), they've got going again, allthough they're not MLS.

I can't get into baseball, but from what I can work out, the Rays are pretty crap anyway, and it seems like our local fans are a fickle lot that only pack the seats when they're winning. I like the Ice Hockey though, the Lightning had a dodgy season this year, but they've won the Stanley Cup since I've been here, and I did manage to score some tickets for the playoffs that year too.

I've read reports of the possibility of the Rams going to Vegas,too. Actually they've been floating that idea for about 3 years now on Sports Illustrated, so who knows. I'd think it will happen eventually. They'd have to find a use for the stadium though, or pull it down, and if it was built with tax payers dollars, why not negotiate an MLS deal... ?

At least you're getting more foreign football attention than we're getting over here, I think they see us as the "Disney State".. Probably can't be bothered to try and compete with Mickey Mouse.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:51 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I never really thought of St Louis as a place where they'd be so into football, let alone a possible venue for an MLS side. Weird how we judge things, eh? I always think of mls as a Northern state thing, no idea why, but probably because every game I saw on tv when I was first here seemed to involve the Chicago Fire or New England Revolution.
We used to have the Rowdies down here (way before I arrived), they've got going again, allthough they're not MLS.

I can't get into baseball, but from what I can work out, the Rays are pretty crap anyway, and it seems like our local fans are a fickle lot that only pack the seats when they're winning. I like the Ice Hockey though, the Lightning had a dodgy season this year, but they've won the Stanley Cup since I've been here, and I did manage to score some tickets for the playoffs that year too.

I've read reports of the possibility of the Rams going to Vegas,too. Actually they've been floating that idea for about 3 years now on Sports Illustrated, so who knows. I'd think it will happen eventually. They'd have to find a use for the stadium though, or pull it down, and if it was built with tax payers dollars, why not negotiate an MLS deal... ?

At least you're getting more foreign football attention than we're getting over here, I think they see us as the "Disney State".. Probably can't be bothered to try and compete with Mickey Mouse.
From what I've seen in Houston, especially with the Astros, people down here are equally as fickle and fairweather when it comes to actually making the effort to go and support their teams- it is very much a 'we will go if they're winning consistently' mentality, which is both sad and very 'foreign' to me.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:58 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
From what I've seen in Houston, especially with the Astros, people down here are equally as fickle and fairweather when it comes to actually making the effort to go and support their teams- it is very much a 'we will go if they're winning consistently' mentality, which is both sad and very 'foreign' to me.
You've never looked at the fixtures to see Saints v someone shit. On a Wednesday night. In the rain. In the cold. In November.

Takes real heart to make yourself go.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:11 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You've never looked at the fixtures to see Saints v someone shit. On a Wednesday night. In the rain. In the cold. In November.

Takes real heart to make yourself go.
Likewise, you've never had the 'pleasure' of trudging off to watch Lisburn Distillery v Linfield (Google them) on a dark, wet, cold Tuesday evening in a 'stadium' which is foremost a greyhound track, with a pitch added inside it as an afterthought, with no seating at all (shallow terracing with a CRAP view), no toilets (piss at the back of the stand) and a van charging extortionate prices for pieces of greasy gristle masquerading as hambugers...

Throw in a scrappy 0-0 draw played out by semi-pro players who would clearly rather be home beside a roaring fire, and welcome to Irish League football at its harshest!!

Touche.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:25 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, you've never had the 'pleasure' of trudging off to watch Lisburn Distillery v Linfield (Google them) on a dark, wet, cold Tuesday evening in a 'stadium' which is foremost a greyhound track, with a pitch added inside it as an afterthought, with no seating at all (shallow terracing with a CRAP view), no toilets (piss at the back of the stand) and a van charging extortionate prices for pieces of greasy gristle masquerading as hambugers...

Throw in a scrappy 0-0 draw played out by semi-pro players who would clearly rather be home beside a roaring fire, and welcome to Irish League football at its harshest!!

Touche.
1-0

Although I've been to watch Salisbury at their old stadium, in the middle of a city centre park. Basically a horrid pitch with a club house and metal railing for sidelines.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:31 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
1-0

Although I've been to watch Salisbury at their old stadium, in the middle of a city centre park. Basically a horrid pitch with a club house and metal railing for sidelines.
Trust me, mate, that is a fairly accurate description of many Irish League 'greounds'...
Old May 24th 2013, 5:44 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I never really thought of St Louis as a place where they'd be so into football,
Me neither, as far as I know (and that isn't very much) they never even had a proper USL team,, but a development team, getting average crowds of around 400
Old May 24th 2013, 5:53 pm

...- it is very much a 'we will go if they're winning consistently' mentality, which is both sad and very 'foreign' to me.
Sad indeed.
The Rays almost can't give away seats unless they reach the playoffs, and then all of a sudden you have people queuing for 3 hours the day before, to buy tickets to a completely sold out game. Local people being interviewed on tv saying how they've followed the Rays since they first started up... Sure.
For a few years after the Buccaneers won the superbowl, everyone and their dog around the Tampa area, were sporting some kind of Bucs gear. The home games were sold out, and it wasn't possible to buy a ticket unless you had it months in advance.
Fast forward to the last 2 seasons, and the games have been blacked out on local tv because they haven't sold enough seats in the stadium. Of course it's blamed on the economy (and that may be a part of it), but it's strange how it coincided with them having poor results.
To me, those people aren't true fans of their team, they're just spectators that want a "feel good" factor in their lives.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.