Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Closed Thread

Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

matt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Premier League

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Well in that case you must be a top bloke and you have my authorisation to contribute to the forum further.....
Haha thanks, I will do!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark View Post
The current situation, Wenger has made the whole thing worse, I was and to a certain degree still am in the "In Wenger We Trust" camp, but my patience has come to an end, I feel this is a make or break season for Arsenal and Arsene no trophies and I think the club will have no choice but to look elsewhere for a new manager or come out and say that the funds have not been available.

At the moment the fans are completely disillusioned we will pay 12 million for a 17 year old for the future but will not offer 20 million for Cahil, or Jagielka, that being the case I would love someone to give me the date when "the future starts".
As a Leeds fan, I have to get behind someone in the Prem, I obviously hate Man U in that true stupid War of the Roses way, hate Chelski along with everyone else in the country. Hate Man City on principle, any player who signs for them loses all respect in my books, if you are prepared to sit on the bench and just collect your pay check then you're just a wanker.

So, that leaves Arsenal, when on form they play the best football in the league, the way Arsene gets them to play in that fluid one touch football is wonderful, and you have to admire their business in recent years. For the last couple of years though I'm really beginning to feel sorry for true Arsenal fans, all that expectation just to fall short at the end of the season. The start of this year has just been embarassingly painful, it just makes you cringe to see such a great club beaten in the fashion they were on Sunday. You have to wonder how long Wenger has left, but what then? They don't currently have a team, at least you know Wenger can build one. A new manager means a new way of playing, which will probably be shit and be like Graham 1-0 days, as the first thing to do would be to tighten the defence and stop playing any football. Then you have the question of whether the board would be willing to start playing shit loads of money for players for a new manager, and who the hell wants to come play for a club who haven't won anything for years. The only thing they have going for them appears to be Wenger, and he appears to be the major problem, catch 22 in my book.

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
Oh good Lord no - United look phenomenal this year. Even Rooney actually is looking like he did in his first year for Manure if you count the last part of last season as well. Cleverley looks shit hot. Add look at that early substitution - Wellbeck (clearly confident and raring to bang them in) comes off for Chicharito - that's a damn good sub! As good and dangerous as Citeh look so far it's United who look like they've been playing as this unit for years. People are already talking about a two-horse race. Which is silly - mostly it's a one horse race with the new boys still a step behind. Arsenal aren't a bad side - they just have obvious weaknesses and Ferguson and his players brilliantly exposed that.
Pre season, Man U's team on paper looked utter shit, however the kids who have come in are looking fantastic and Young actually looks like the player people have been saying he is for years, not sure the keeper will make it as number 1 through the end of the season though. You have to grudgingly admire Fergie, he appears to be bringing through a brand new crop of players to build the next 10 years of success on. The Bastard
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Well in that case you must be a top bloke and you have my authorisation to contribute to the forum further.....
He supports Spurs, straight away that makes him a dodgy Character, someone to help you in your times of trouble though Pommy and lets hope they are frequent (in football obviously I think you might be a wonderful lady if you didn't talk football)
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
As a Leeds fan, I have to get behind someone in the Prem, I obviously hate Man U in that true stupid War of the Roses way, hate Chelski along with everyone else in the country. Hate Man City on principle, any player who signs for them loses all respect in my books, if you are prepared to sit on the bench and just collect your pay check then you're just a wanker.

So, that leaves Arsenal, when on form they play the best football in the league, the way Arsene gets them to play in that fluid one touch football is wonderful, and you have to admire their business in recent years. For the last couple of years though I'm really beginning to feel sorry for true Arsenal fans, all that expectation just to fall short at the end of the season. The start of this year has just been embarassingly painful, it just makes you cringe to see such a great club beaten in the fashion they were on Sunday. You have to wonder how long Wenger has left, but what then? They don't currently have a team, at least you know Wenger can build one. A new manager means a new way of playing, which will probably be shit and be like Graham 1-0 days, as the first thing to do would be to tighten the defence and stop playing any football. Then you have the question of whether the board would be willing to start playing shit loads of money for players for a new manager, and who the hell wants to come play for a club who haven't won anything for years. The only thing they have going for them appears to be Wenger, and he appears to be the major problem, catch 22 in my book.

Pre season, Man U's team on paper looked utter shit, however the kids who have come in are looking fantastic and Young actually looks like the player people have been saying he is for years, not sure the keeper will make it as number 1 through the end of the season though. You have to grudgingly admire Fergie, he appears to be bringing through a brand new crop of players to build the next 10 years of success on. The Bastard
I am not sure what your criteria is for a true fan, I would like to think I come into that category Nicky, yes I agree the business that Arsenal have done in recent years should be admired, but it is fast becoming a waste of time. Chelsea and Man City can spend whatever they want on players and wages and there wealthy owners step in to make up the short fall, Ferguson has to contend with Man United being in huge amounts of debt courtesy of the Glazers, Barcelona openly court our Club Captain knowing he will not be put on the open market and then have the audacity to pay for him in installments because they don't have the money to buy him (personally I feel Arsenal should have put him on the market to the highest bidder and let Barcelona either pay his current value or go without). So yes admire away but to be honest I am fast losing patience, we are currently racing around in the last 2 days of the transfer window buying bargain basement players because of our wonderful business plan.
Wenger to be honest can build a team but he has never built a trophy winning team for us, when we were winning trophies it was with George Grahams team with a few flair players thrown in. At the moment I would willingly go back to winning 1-0 if it meant we were successful again, and believe me I sat through enough of the 1-0 games to know how boring we were. Pretty football is not all it is about, and pretty football with no end result is definitely not what it is about.
I will agree Fergusons new boys did look bloody good on Sunday, but I am with you on the keeper not sure he is ready to be a no1 yet.
Sorry about the rant just one very pissed off gooner at the moment, and for the first time in years I am not looking forward to our next game, and have seriously thought about not going.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what your criteria is for a true fan, I would like to think I come into that category Nicky, yes I agree the business that Arsenal have done in recent years should be admired, but it is fast becoming a waste of time. Chelsea and Man City can spend whatever they want on players and wages and there wealthy owners step in to make up the short fall, Ferguson has to contend with Man United being in huge amounts of debt courtesy of the Glazers, Barcelona openly court our Club Captain knowing he will not be put on the open market and then have the audacity to pay for him in installments because they don't have the money to buy him (personally I feel Arsenal should have put him on the market to the highest bidder and let Barcelona either pay his current value or go without). So yes admire away but to be honest I am fast losing patience, we are currently racing around in the last 2 days of the transfer window buying bargain basement players because of our wonderful business plan.
Wenger to be honest can build a team but he has never built a trophy winning team for us, when we were winning trophies it was with George Grahams team with a few flair players thrown in. At the moment I would willingly go back to winning 1-0 if it meant we were successful again, and believe me I sat through enough of the 1-0 games to know how boring we were. Pretty football is not all it is about, and pretty football with no end result is definitely not what it is about.
I will agree Fergusons new boys did look bloody good on Sunday, but I am with you on the keeper not sure he is ready to be a no1 yet.
Sorry about the rant just one very pissed off gooner at the moment, and for the first time in years I am not looking forward to our next game, and have seriously thought about not going.
My comment about a true Arsenal fan was that I was feeling pain watching them myself, and I'm not an Arsenal fan, people like you who are must be feeling shit.

Interesting you say you would gladly go back to the 1-0 and Graham style if you were winning. The time we had Graham at Leeds was the most awful time I have experienced watching them, and everyone knows we've had some very shitty times. There were some days when it was an absolute chore going to the games, knowing we were going to play no football and go for the 1-0, bloody awful, I'd never want to see those days back.

My big concern for Arsenal is what happens if Wenger does go? I don't see you going the way Chelski and Man City have gone in buying a team, and you're not going to get a manger in who is willing to build a team. Personally I think you're screwed for the next couple of years. It's either time to say you're prepared to go another 2-3 years without winning anything and sticking with Wenger while he rebuilds, or you are prepared to not win anything for who knows how long and play shit football. Either way it's not a short term fix and you aren't winning anything for a few years.

Rant away, that's the only joy of being a football fan
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
- Nobody can adequately explain to me why it's been okay to pay $30 million on English shit, but nothing for better foreign players. The best I've heard is that you pay more for English players because they can get away with diving.
Didn't the Prem League introduce a rule last year that you had to have X number of home grown players in your squad? UK nationality or signed for the club before the age of 17

I'll go look it up...

Here we go
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...tting-out.html

Last edited by N1cky; Aug 30th 2011 at 8:19 pm. Reason: link
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:23 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Didn't the Prem League introduce a rule last year that you had to have X number of home grown players in your squad? UK nationality or signed for the club before the age of 17

I'll go look it up...

Here we go
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...tting-out.html
When I were a lad, English league clubs weren't allowed to have more than 2 non-British players on their books.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might be a wonderful lady
At last a sensible comment from a Le Arse fan.......
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

At last a sensible comment from a Le Arse fan.......
He obviously hasn't seen you.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:34 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
He obviously hasn't seen you.
Shut it grandad, neither have you
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

So that PM I got wasn't you in a cut down Arsenal shirt and not much else, shit I may have to retract my earlier statement.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
Life goes on.

Dwarling, having 4 wonderful grandchildren, I take "grandad" as a compliment.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:38 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
Dwarling, having 4 wonderful grandchildren, I take "grandad" as a compliment.
Aww showing your soft side
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:39 pm
Life goes on.

Aww showing your soft side
It's generally reserved for family.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:50 pm
Grace and gratitude

So that PM I got wasn't you in a cut down Arsenal shirt and not much else, shit I may have to retract my earlier statement.
Couldn't have been me the only Arsenal shirt I have is used to line the cat litter tray......

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service