Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League

Premier League

Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:31 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Moyes? Yeah.. bloody hell.
I don't mind it from Ed, but you can ***** off all the way back to Surrey...
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:38 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
I don't mind it from Ed, but you can ***** off all the way back to Surrey...
Weirdly enough, I don't give a f*** if you you like it or not.
Surrey? Oh please....
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:39 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
There's always Roy Hodgson, I suppose.
... Or not?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:43 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Villas Boas is at it now - he has a perfectly suitable left back in Bertrand (who's been playing there while Cole is out) but instead chucks Bosignwa (a right back who has had a mare of a season) in that position. Why do they do that?

My mate Sean is a Manure fan and he has a simple rule - if you can't imagine them playing for Real Madrid or Inter Milan then they aren't good enough for Man Utd.

Sadly for him Hodgson was manager of Inter twice so.....
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:47 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
My mate Sean is a Manure fan and he has a simple rule - if you can't imagine them playing for Real Madrid or Inter Milan then they aren't good enough for Man Utd.
Strange rule as I can't imagine many of the Manure team playing for Real or Inter.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:47 pm
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Weirdly enough, I don't give a f*** if you you like it or not.
Surrey? Oh please....
Sorry, it's Essex isn't it.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly for him Hodgson was manager of Inter twice so.....
I find myself looking if a player would have got in the invincibles team of 2004 and I think maybe RVP would have made the bench, other than that the rest are not good enough.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Sorry, it's Essex isn't it.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:48 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I just mentioned this elsewhere but...

...I'm officially calling the Premier League a bag of shit. I listened to James Richardson for the Guardian reading the European papers the other week. He read a scathing assessment by journos from Spain and Italy pointing out how deluded they think the English fans and footballing journalistic body are. As in they tend to constantly bash the "two-team" La Liga, talk about how boring Serie A is and generically deride most other European leagues as massively inferior to the Premier League. All the while talking up their own English league as the finest despite it being massively dominated by one team that's won 3/4 of every PL title since it inception. The Spanish journalist sharply stated that it's not even as exciting as the Scottish league where you can at least count on two big teams fighting it out all year every year.

The conclusion was that the English FA have given an absolute masterclass in marketing a their "product" considering that the England national team are shit and have been a joke overseas for 15-20 years - and yet fans and journalists here are constantly deluding themselves into believing England are one of the top 5 or so national teams worldwide. Add that English clubs have won the CL 3 times since it started (under the new system) with Man Utd winning it twice - adnd yet English journalists behave as if English clubs rule the CL in a way no other nation's clubs do. Also English players don't play in Europe as a general rule for European clubs- partly by completely out-pricing themselves through transfer fees and obscene wages - but also as the culture of English football rewards players with "grit" and "passion" - which are words that really mean "lack of discipline" and "can run a lot in spite of being told to not do that." There was an economic comparison made where teams in the bottom 6 and relegated to the Championship tend to have a higher wage bill than 90% of all the other clubs in Europe. Therefore making it pretty clear why so many foreign players come to England. All in all it's been a magnificent piece of sleight-of-hand where English fans really think they have a competitive, amazing, typically English league with no parallel overseas. Whereas instead they have a league that likely will be won by the same club year in year out, that is harmful to it's own national team, that breeds and celebrates arsehole players and spends a lot of it's time telling other clubs and players in Europe that their cheats and couldn't "do it at Stoke on wet Tuesday evening."

Pretty scathing stuff. And after last year and this one I'm prone to agree. Last year Man Utd won the league in dire style. The majority of play this year has been really poor with everyone trying to bore their way to the title. Almost every game I've watched has involved poor players with awful touch. English players - somehow worth unbelievable amounts of money - look like garbage. Go look at the fixture list for last Saturday - it just reeks of dullness.

Course- watch Arsenal win the CL by hammering Barca....

Last edited by Captain Cheesestick; Feb 22nd 2012 at 12:17 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:31 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have this much time on my hands. Looking at semi-final appearances, over the last ten European Cup competitions, England has been stronger and with more depth than anyone else. Off the boil for a few years and the EPL is over-sold, but it sounds like them Europeans are equally guilty of under-selling it.

Country of semi-final appearance over the last ten competitions
'11 spain spain germany england
'10 spain france germany italy
'09 spain england england england
'08 spain england england england
'07 italy england england england
'06 spain spain england italy
'05 holland england england italy
'04 spain england france portugal
'03 spain italy italy italy
'02 germany england spain spain

10 year semi-final appearances by country
England 15
Spain 11
Italy 7
Germany 3
France 2 (Monaco, Lyon)
Holland 1 (PSV)
Portugal 1 (Porto)

10 year semi-final appearances by team
Manu U 5
Chelsea 5
Liverpool 3
Arsenal 2

Barcelona 6
Madrid 3
Deportivo 1
Villareal 1

Milan 4
Juventus 1
Inter 2

Leverkusen1
B Munich 1
Schalike 1
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 5:54 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from thefcf.co.uk....

Going by football journalists on Twitter, only two things happened last night. One, the Brits happened, rewarding all that is cancerous about British popular culture. The only thing worse than that is that people willingly attended. Two, they’re putting the boot into Andre Villas-Boas for having the common sense to drop Frank Lampard – the press-leaking, cowardly, do-nothing, xenophobic, hypocritical sculpture of scum that believes he is the centre of Chelsea, and wider still – the world. Chelsea lost. So what? They’re a knackered squad on their last legs and even the best managers don’t revitalise teams in a year. Villas-Boas might not be the best manager, but he’s got one thing right at least: don’t let Frank Lampard think he’s worth anything more than zero.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty scathing stuff. And after last year and this one I'm prone to agree. Last year Man Utd won the league in dire style. The majority of play this year has been really poor with everyone trying to bore their way to the title. Almost every game I've watched has involved poor players with awful touch. English players - somehow worth unbelievable amounts of money - look like garbage. Go look at the fixture list for last Saturday - it just reeks of dullness.

Course- watch Arsenal win the CL by hammering Barca....
I still maintain United didn't win the league last year - everyone else lost it. There's a good chance it will happen this year too. I think Fergie knows we're kak and needs 4 or 5 top players, but with the club dropping all it's profits into servicing debt, and being just 2 points off the pace, the Glazers aren't going to spend any real cash any time soon - let's quietly keep ahead of everyone else, because that's good enough, no? But we will wake up and find ourselves 5 years behind Spain. A gap that's too big to close in a generation. It's already happened with England, and the EPL seems to be following. And when that happens, attendances drop, revenues go down and teams paying £100k a week for average players will find themselves in trouble. It's a house of cards...

I see United are going to give Nani an extension worth £27m over the next 5 years. Tevez has lost £10m in salary and bonuses in the last few months. Yaya Toure earns £230k a week.

My head hurts.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
Well, he's hardly likely to suggest someone who will do as well as him, is he?
Well true, but Jesus himself isn't going to return to earth, what with Easter coming up.....and there's simply no-one else who can emulate the messiah.

Fergie for Pope!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:47 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Taken from thefcf.co.uk....

Going by football journalists on Twitter, only two things happened last night. One, the Brits happened, rewarding all that is cancerous about British popular culture. The only thing worse than that is that people willingly attended. Two, they’re putting the boot into Andre Villas-Boas for having the common sense to drop Frank Lampard – the press-leaking, cowardly, do-nothing, xenophobic, hypocritical sculpture of scum that believes he is the centre of Chelsea, and wider still – the world. Chelsea lost. So what? They’re a knackered squad on their last legs and even the best managers don’t revitalise teams in a year. Villas-Boas might not be the best manager, but he’s got one thing right at least: don’t let Frank Lampard think he’s worth anything more than zero.
Napoli looked good though, we had the chance to buy Cavani cheap and we never took it, we'll never get him now ....unless of course we do the double this year

As for yesterday, not one Italian in the starting XI for Inter, bloody diabolical, bring back Baggio and Vieri!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:50 am
Yeah that guy.

Originally Posted by ededed View Post

I see United are going to give Nani an extension worth £27m over the next 5 years. Tevez has lost £10m in salary and bonuses in the last few months. Yaya Toure earns £230k a week.

My head hurts.
I remember last year Nani looked incredible for about a month at the beginning of the season. Add the odd game early this season. Most games I watch him in he seems like he's eternally frustrating. £27m is an awful lot of money on someone who isn't automatically a first team player.

I liked this though - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...mbley-and-luis. In which Carroll and Suarez are depicted as putting the absolute shits up everyone right now, with Carroll in particular apparently finally becoming "the beast" he threatened to be. I particularly like the line, "I'm getting the games I want, my fitness is up there now, and I'm scoring goals - it feels good..."

Fitness? That's the reason he's been shit then? He makes it sound like he's hitting his stride now after scoring against Brighton in what was easily the worst performance I've seen him in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.