Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2016-2017

Premier League 2016-2017

Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:44 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2016-2017

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You wouldn't moan if he did it as Spurs manager and you won the league.
We'll be winning the league without that numpty, ta.

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
For me it was a true tale of two halves..... In the first half Klopp had his team sat back and packing the midfield as United were pressing them while in the second half United got pushed back and then say back and played for the draw. So same tactics different half..... Dunno why Maureen is getting all the abuse when Klopp was just as bad.
Agreed Klopp's tactics were just as shameful in yesterday's match, but to be fair Liverpool's football has been a bit more exciting, than Man U's over the season as a whole.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:02 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

So were you in agreement with the ref that none of the Liverpool players were deserving of a yellow?
where did you get that from? NO!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was a true tale of two halves..... In the first half Klopp had his team sat back and packing the midfield as United were pressing them while in the second half United got pushed back and then say back and played for the draw. So same tactics different half..... Dunno why Maureen is getting all the abuse when Klopp was just as bad.
umm - could it be because Utd sat back all game in fact?

I think you may have watched a different game to the rest of us......
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:29 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
umm - could it be because Utd sat back all game in fact?

I think you may have watched a different game to the rest of us......
To be fair, Mike, both teams sat back, and who can balme them, I guess they were playing it safe with Champions League coming up this week..........oh hang on.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:34 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
To be fair, Mike, both teams sat back, and who can balme them, I guess they were playing it safe with Champions League coming up this week..........oh hang on.
Hahahhahahahaha.

Not even Europa.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:46 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
I don't disagree with that assessment PB (and they are mid table teams I suppose) but Jam seems to believe it was the archetypal game of 2 halves with Utd pressing furiously in the first half. Therefore, I must have fallen asleep and missed all that pressing because the first half, as I recall it, was appalling.

If Jam considers De Gea launching mortar bombs towards Ibra as pressing then I would agree there was indeed some of that...

In then end the game only really got interesting when Adam the Llama came on and Daniel the Donkey went off and Utd went from their 8-1-1 to 9-0-1 to hold out for a point.

IMHO it was classically effective Maureen anti-football - pressing for the 1st half??? not the game I watched.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 1:01 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see that a game between Liverpool & United seems to have the fans of other clubs crying about a lack of 'entertainment'....

What they really mean is they turned on hoping to see United get rogered silly by Klopp's boys, and when that so wasn't going to happen, the dummies exited the prams...

As to the game itself, I thought United were much the better team in the 1st half, the only disappointment being the inability to link the midfield up with our sporadic attacks; Pogba did what he was clearly asked to do (press high with Zlatan) but he was peripheral for large parts of the game, and we really need more from a player of his ability.

Klopp changed things by withdrawing the woeful Sturridge for Lallana, a move which saw their star man, Coutinho, move 10 yards further forward and become a real menace... Spanish Dave's save from his 30-yarder is one of the best saves you'll see all season, and his low save from Can in the area was pretty damn good too. Liverpool were better 2nd half, but barring that venture forward by the otherwise rusty looking Can and the chance Firmino almost had but for a stunning tackle by Tony V, I never thought they troubled us too much.

Our whole defence were excellent, particularly Bailly (did Sturridge actually touch the ball?!!) and Tony V, who never put a foot wrong. Ander Herrera was a colossus out there, easily Man of the Match; hustled, harried, chased and never let Coutinho settle on the ball, where he can hurt you.

So whilst the ABUs may whine about lack of entertainment, I was very pleased by the solid effort my team put in away to our fiercest rivals, a team who have almost been scoring for fun in every game they've played 'til now.

For all the nonsense beforehand, I thought Anthony Taylor had a decent game in the circumstances. He perhaps missed the odd dodgy challenge (and booked Bailly for his one & only poor challenge!), and awarded the Dippers a free-kick for a blatant dive by Coutinho over Herrera's feet in the 2nd half, but otherwise I thought he did well, and was certainly not favouring either side.

Had you offered me 0-0 beforehand, I'd have taken it. That we played well enough to have been well worth a point with 35% of the possession shows that this team can be solid when they need to be (away from home at a big rival's ground), and sets us up nicely for a repeat performance on Sunday at Chav Central, though I'd hope we carry a bit more attacking threat against that hateful shower of shite.

Happy enough.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 1:36 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Nice to see that a game between Liverpool & United seems to have the fans of other clubs crying about a lack of 'entertainment'....

What they really mean is they turned on hoping to see United get rogered silly by Klopp's boys, and when that so wasn't going to happen, the dummies exited the prams...

As to the game itself, I thought United were much the better team in the 1st half, the only disappointment being the inability to link the midfield up with our sporadic attacks; Pogba did what he was clearly asked to do (press high with Zlatan) but he was peripheral for large parts of the game, and we really need more from a player of his ability.

Klopp changed things by withdrawing the woeful Sturridge for Lallana, a move which saw their star man, Coutinho, move 10 yards further forward and become a real menace... Spanish Dave's save from his 30-yarder is one of the best saves you'll see all season, and his low save from Can in the area was pretty damn good too. Liverpool were better 2nd half, but barring that venture forward by the otherwise rusty looking Can and the chance Firmino almost had but for a stunning tackle by Tony V, I never thought they troubled us too much.

Our whole defence were excellent, particularly Bailly (did Sturridge actually touch the ball?!!) and Tony V, who never put a foot wrong. Ander Herrera was a colossus out there, easily Man of the Match; hustled, harried, chased and never let Coutinho settle on the ball, where he can hurt you.

So whilst the ABUs may whine about lack of entertainment, I was very pleased by the solid effort my team put in away to our fiercest rivals, a team who have almost been scoring for fun in every game they've played 'til now.

For all the nonsense beforehand, I thought Anthony Taylor had a decent game in the circumstances. He perhaps missed the odd dodgy challenge (and booked Bailly for his one & only poor challenge!), and awarded the Dippers a free-kick for a blatant dive by Coutinho over Herrera's feet in the 2nd half, but otherwise I thought he did well, and was certainly not favouring either side.

Had you offered me 0-0 beforehand, I'd have taken it. That we played well enough to have been well worth a point with 35% of the possession shows that this team can be solid when they need to be (away from home at a big rival's ground), and sets us up nicely for a repeat performance on Sunday at Chav Central, though I'd hope we carry a bit more attacking threat against that hateful shower of shite.

Happy enough.
Overall that seems a pretty fair assessment to me - I strongly agree about Herrera who was awesome and I am also firmly d'accordo on the fact the Ref didn't favour either side.

It was the result Maureen wanted and he got it - fair play to him (loathe him or despise him). As someone else has already pointed out: Draw with all your rivals 0-0 away, beat them at home and beat all the lower teams home and away = champions...SIMPLES...... It is the Maureen way and it has proven to be highly successful in the past.

It wasn't pretty but the result was good.

Anyone know which idiot predicted 8-8
Old Oct 18th 2016, 1:46 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Overall that seems a pretty fair assessment to me - I strongly agree about Herrera who was awesome and I am also firmly d'accordo on the fact the Ref didn't favour either side.

It was the result Maureen wanted and he got it - fair play to him (loathe him or despise him). As someone else has already pointed out: Draw with all your rivals 0-0 away, beat them at home and beat all the lower teams home and away = champions...SIMPLES...... It is the Maureen way and it has proven to be highly successful in the past.

It wasn't pretty but the result was good.

Anyone know which idiot predicted 8-8
Sensible as always, Michael.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Sensible as always, Michael.
PS: I actually wanted Utd to win that game given the respective positions in the table as did, I suspect, James, PB and Hooky.

Wanting Utd to win actually made me feel unclean but I did (shame on me)...
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

PS: I actually wanted Utd to win that game given the respective positions in the table as did, I suspect, James, PB and Hooky.
I didn't see the game. Draw was my preferred result. Cainess is right though- I'm amazed so many "neutrals" turned out for a game that at best is for 4th spot and I have not yet written off either of those clubs to finish 7th.

I want Mourinho to go two years doing nothing like Van Gaal did ( he is on course) and I have multiple bets with Liverpool fans who tell me they are better than Tottenham every season even though we consistently finish above them.

Other than that De Gea and Ibra as well as Coutinho are in my fantasy team. De Gea earned himself a reprieve as I was going to trade him this week.

Ibra is OUT as soon as Kane is fit again.

The Blue Jays were the talk of Toronto yesterday. They are about to be swept by Cleveland and go out in the semi-finals for the second straight year.

All meaningless though. Spurs need a point in Laverkusen to stay in contention so hopefully despite the lack of first team action Wimmer can play with the composure he showed when he played half a dozen games last year.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:30 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Other than that De Gea and Ibra as well as Coutinho are in my fantasy team. De Gea earned himself a reprieve as I was going to trade him this week.
In my FF team I had De Gea; Baily; Coutinho; Firminio and Ibra last night.

Ibra's form is probably my fault since I signed him and made him capt he has registered 0 goals and 0 assists whereas beforehand he was on fire.

My FF choices this year are so bad that I'm actually below Zargie (oh the shame )albeit I am still ahead of Cainess
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:51 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

In my FF team I had De Gea; Baily; Coutinho; Firminio and Ibra last night.

Ibra's form is probably my fault since I signed him and made him capt he has registered 0 goals and 0 assists whereas beforehand he was on fire.

My FF choices this year are so bad that I'm actually below Zargie (oh the shame )albeit I am still ahead of Cainess
I was doing OK, until I had a bad week this week. Honestly, Agueroooooooooooo!!! can score from anywhere on the pitch other than the penalty spot.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

where did you get that from? NO!!!!!
I didn't, I was just wondering. It's all good.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with that assessment PB (and they are mid table teams I suppose) but Jam seems to believe it was the archetypal game of 2 halves with Utd pressing furiously in the first half. Therefore, I must have fallen asleep and missed all that pressing because the first half, as I recall it, was appalling.

If Jam considers De Gea launching mortar bombs towards Ibra as pressing then I would agree there was indeed some of that...

In then end the game only really got interesting when Adam the Llama came on and Daniel the Donkey went off and Utd went from their 8-1-1 to 9-0-1 to hold out for a point.

IMHO it was classically effective Maureen anti-football - pressing for the 1st half??? not the game I watched.
When did I say that we were "pressing furiously in the first half"? I mentioned that in the first half we were the better team and were pressing them.... with Klopp set up sitting deep with similar formations as noted above. The reverse can be said for the second half.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.