Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:49 pm
  #916  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,241
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Rooney could go on and get 130 caps - he'd be the most capped outfield player and highest goal scorer. I'd rather those honours went to someone more deserving. Carlton Palmer, maybe.
Rooney is a good player. I think he has been unlucky in terms of the players around him and also the expectation level.

Carlton Palmer is one of the more obscure capped players over the years. Especially given that in those days the top flight was full of English players.
JamesM is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:50 pm
  #917  
MODERATOR
 
ededed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Home, I think.
Posts: 9,215
ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
People are starting to lose interest. Some money grabbing soulless cnuts spotted the passion surrounding football and thought: «Oh, we can make a fortune out of this passion» (please read that in the gnarliest inner voice at your disposal - think Mr. Burns), and so they did, and it was fun at first when the fancy names were thrown into the mix built on generations of passion, but then before you know it my Arsenal are playing 11 mercenaries with no organic connection to the club whatsoever beyond the paycheque (with the rare exceptions of course) and something doesn't sit right, but it's still fun because we're winning, but then we don't win anymore and even if we do it feels a bit naff against teams that have spent a tenth of what we have and the passion that was there in the olden days to see us through the dark, wet Wednesdays of being asswhipped by Derby, Wolves and Ipswich just isn't there anymore, and even the lottery winners at the Bridge or Maine Road can't be arsed to turn up and see if their respective plutocrat's expensively gathered gladiator playboytoys will win or lose to a team that may or may not possess something resembling a soul.
End of.
PS - Remember, most football journalists think this too, but they can't say it, as the crumbling of the naked emperor's house of cards would take their day job with it.
Bingo. Very well put. I think most of us on here have been through the pain of supporting teams through shit years and the PL was a holy grail, but I made the point at the beginning of this season - spending 150m has just turned us into Chelsea or City, and it doesn't feel right. I know we've bought big players for a long time, but one a season felt more organic - replacing your first 11 with galacticos (and Phil Jones) doesn't mean the same as having Neville and Scholes driving you forward.

It'll never be what it was - so I guess we're making the best of it. I can't and couldn't imagine supporting anyone else. I grew up on the Stretford End, and still have my Dad's season tickets. Getting there from Jamaica is proving expensive...
ededed is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:51 pm
  #918  
MODERATOR
 
ededed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Home, I think.
Posts: 9,215
ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Rooney is a good player. I think he has been unlucky in terms of the players around him and also the expectation level.

Carlton Palmer is one of the more obscure capped players over the years. Especially given that in those days the top flight was full of English players.
He is a good player, but he is also a tosser. To quote you - all that is wrong with football. Greedy, selfish, arrogant and disloyal.
ededed is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:03 pm
  #919  
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut
 
Cainess's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR (originally from N. Ireland)
Posts: 2,859
Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I put Wenger's first double winning team as the best Premier League team I've watched.

Prior to Wenger they were dyer.

I understand the frustration of their fans. But I do wonder what will happen there if Wenger does leave???

This article is fantastic: Arsenal and Tottenham supporters have every right to question their clubs | Amy Lawrence | Football | The Guardian

I especially enjoyed the objective commenting. This one from an Arsenal fan:

People are starting to lose interest. Some money grabbing soulless cnuts spotted the passion surrounding football and thought: «Oh, we can make a fortune out of this passion» (please read that in the gnarliest inner voice at your disposal - think Mr. Burns), and so they did, and it was fun at first when the fancy names were thrown into the mix built on generations of passion, but then before you know it my Arsenal are playing 11 mercenaries with no organic connection to the club whatsoever beyond the paycheque (with the rare exceptions of course) and something doesn't sit right, but it's still fun because we're winning, but then we don't win anymore and even if we do it feels a bit naff against teams that have spent a tenth of what we have and the passion that was there in the olden days to see us through the dark, wet Wednesdays of being asswhipped by Derby, Wolves and Ipswich just isn't there anymore, and even the lottery winners at the Bridge or Maine Road can't be arsed to turn up and see if their respective plutocrat's expensively gathered gladiator playboytoys will win or lose to a team that may or may not possess something resembling a soul.
End of.
PS - Remember, most football journalists think this too, but they can't say it, as the crumbling of the naked emperor's house of cards would take their day job with it.
James, keep posting stuff like this (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and we may yet end up not being at loggerheads on most things football (apart from the GDP of the average Chinese man and his propensity to squander a chunk of it on an official United shirt... )

(oh, and by the way, I've been United since 1977, so a 'glory hunting Johnny Come Lately' I most certainly am not...back then, those types gravitated to Anfield, and the ones who were loyal enough to stick with Liverpool when the trophies dried up in 1990 are worthy of grudging admiration, since us long-time Reds who endured the barren years of the 80s know exactly how they now must feel... )
Cainess is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:03 pm
  #920  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,241
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
He is a good player, but he is also a tosser. To quote you - all that is wrong with football. Greedy, selfish, arrogant and disloyal.
Yes most (close to all players) are.

Exciting times for England though with Wellbeck, Sturridge and Rooney all starting at top clubs. Been a while since we've had 3 strikers doing that.

Then throw in Barkley and Sterling behind them.

It has got my juices going.

Just missing a couple of top young centre halves.

We'll probably not win anything but be nice to get out the group and have another glorious shoot out failure.
JamesM is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:21 pm
  #921  
MODERATOR
 
ededed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Home, I think.
Posts: 9,215
ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Just missing a couple of top young centre halves.

We'll probably not win anything but be nice to get out the group and have another glorious shoot out failure.
EBJT has gone, so we have to hope Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand stay fit.

I gave up on England after the 2010 world cup. Any team that lets Ashley Cole play for them is worth of my hatred.
ededed is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:42 pm
  #922  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,244
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
This article is fantastic: Arsenal and Tottenham supporters have every right to question their clubs | Amy Lawrence | Football | The Guardian

I especially enjoyed the objective commenting. This one from an Arsenal fan:

People are starting to lose interest. Some money grabbing soulless cnuts spotted the passion surrounding football and thought: «Oh, we can make a fortune out of this passion» (please read that in the gnarliest inner voice at your disposal - think Mr. Burns), and so they did, and it was fun at first when the fancy names were thrown into the mix built on generations of passion, but then before you know it my Arsenal are playing 11 mercenaries with no organic connection to the club whatsoever beyond the paycheque (with the rare exceptions of course) and something doesn't sit right, but it's still fun because we're winning, but then we don't win anymore and even if we do it feels a bit naff against teams that have spent a tenth of what we have and the passion that was there in the olden days to see us through the dark, wet Wednesdays of being asswhipped by Derby, Wolves and Ipswich just isn't there anymore, and even the lottery winners at the Bridge or Maine Road can't be arsed to turn up and see if their respective plutocrat's expensively gathered gladiator playboytoys will win or lose to a team that may or may not possess something resembling a soul.
End of.
PS - Remember, most football journalists think this too, but they can't say it, as the crumbling of the naked emperor's house of cards would take their day job with it.
Totally agree with the sentiments of the article but it's all about supply and demand, isn't it?

I don't think the booing and the 'Levy out' banners are going to make a jot of difference, and until fans start voting with their feet and stop buying tickets at over inflated prices the current money machines will go on and players will continue to be paid silly money.
pommybird is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:00 pm
  #923  
MODERATOR
 
ededed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Home, I think.
Posts: 9,215
ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Totally agree with the sentiments of the article but it's all about supply and demand, isn't it?

I don't think the booing and the 'Levy out' banners are going to make a jot of difference, and until fans start voting with their feet and stop buying tickets at over inflated prices the current money machines will go on and players will continue to be paid silly money.
Problem is, attendance money makes up such a small amount of the revenues these days. 30,000 fans (you wish) at 50 quid a throw is 1.5m, 18 times a season. More if the year ends in a 1 and you get a cup run.

27m a year in gate receipts. That will just about pay for 3 players' wages on 150k a week. In a squad of 30, with coaching, backroom and operational costs to add in.... Fans going to games (unless you're in a sold out stadium of 79,000 every other week) are - once policing and stewarding etc is considered - probably only an operational cost to a club.

TV money is worth 6.5m a game - that's what makes it worthwhile. And all those who have Sky and BT+ or whatever it's called are the ones who are driving the cycle, you greedy parasitical bastards.
ededed is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:18 pm
  #924  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,244
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Problem is, attendance money makes up such a small amount of the revenues these days. 30,000 fans (you wish) at 50 quid a throw is 1.5m, 18 times a season. More if the year ends in a 1 and you get a cup run.

27m a year in gate receipts. That will just about pay for 3 players' wages on 150k a week. In a squad of 30, with coaching, backroom and operational costs to add in.... Fans going to games (unless you're in a sold out stadium of 79,000 every other week) are - once policing and stewarding etc is considered - probably only an operational cost to a club.

TV money is worth 6.5m a game - that's what makes it worthwhile. And all those who have Sky and BT+ or whatever it's called are the ones who are driving the cycle, you greedy parasitical bastards.
Gate recepits, sky subscritions it amounts to the same thing, supply and demand, it drives the money machine, we the fans are what drives the finances. I may as well cancel my sky sports anyway, hallf the bloody time they don't even air Spurs even when they play on a Sunday and I have to watch it on some dodgy stream.

Oh and it's called BT Sport and you get it free if youhave BT broadband.
pommybird is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:34 pm
  #925  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,241
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Problem is, attendance money makes up such a small amount of the revenues these days. 30,000 fans (you wish) at 50 quid a throw is 1.5m, 18 times a season. More if the year ends in a 1 and you get a cup run.

27m a year in gate receipts. That will just about pay for 3 players' wages on 150k a week. In a squad of 30, with coaching, backroom and operational costs to add in.... Fans going to games (unless you're in a sold out stadium of 79,000 every other week) are - once policing and stewarding etc is considered - probably only an operational cost to a club.

TV money is worth 6.5m a game - that's what makes it worthwhile. And all those who have Sky and BT+ or whatever it's called are the ones who are driving the cycle, you greedy parasitical bastards.
And the ability to sell the rights abroad to more and more countries for more money.

Since the NBC deal was signed I now have every Premier League game live here in Toronto. I get little done on my weekend mornings.

Gate receipts and other match day products can still be a reasonable earner. When Arsenal moved stadium they doubled theirs. It is an extra 35 or so million which helps them sustain a bigger wage bill.

Modern stadia goes much further than a match ticket. Beer, Pie (food) and club memorabilia.

Actually the best stadia for this was when I went and watched the NY Mets. They've done a grand job for fan experience.

Wembley is good too.

The older grounds like Old Trafford, Anfield and WHL not quite there yet for that aspect.
JamesM is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:40 pm
  #926  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,241
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Gate recepits, sky subscritions it amounts to the same thing, supply and demand, it drives the money machine, we the fans are what drives the finances. I may as well cancel my sky sports anyway, hallf the bloody time they don't even air Spurs even when they play on a Sunday and I have to watch it on some dodgy stream.

Oh and it's called BT Sport and you get it free if youhave BT broadband.
Football fans are "junkies" therefore the rationale of supply and demand is imperfect.

You put up with years of torment, pain and mild depression because there is that occasional glimmer that "things might actually turn around". Then boom out of no where some drama unfolds and the torment, pain and depression returns.

The dream of the impossible dream stops us all walking away.

I mean WHAT IF?????

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 12th 2014 at 8:42 pm.
JamesM is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 9:07 pm
  #927  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,244
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Football fans are "junkies" therefore the rationale of supply and demand is imperfect.

You put up with years of torment, pain and mild depression because there is that occasional glimmer that "things might actually turn around". Then boom out of no where some drama unfolds and the torment, pain and depression returns.

The dream of the impossible dream stops us all walking away.

I mean WHAT IF?????
And then one day Crouchy scores the goal that puts you into the Champions League or Gareth scores a hat trick and destroys Maicon and all the years of torment melt into insignificance.......
pommybird is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 9:15 pm
  #928  
I love my brick!
 
zargof's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Peachy
Posts: 9,302
zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
And then one day Crouchy scores the goal that puts you into the Champions League or Gareth scores a hat trick and destroys Maicon and all the years of torment melt into insignificance.......
Then Chelsea go and win the thing while finishing sixth.

Oh yeah, and a classic for you Pommy...


Last edited by zargof; Nov 12th 2014 at 9:18 pm.
zargof is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 9:54 pm
  #929  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 26
graymel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Whoever you support.
QPR
graymel is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:33 pm
  #930  
idealist
 
stevenglish1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6,447
stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by graymel View Post
QPR
I always had a soft spot for the hoops, also Millwall, might be the pikey in me, but there you go.
stevenglish1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.