Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:11 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Manchester United supporters are from London is a myth, Twitter research suggests - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Vaguely interesting, even if it is just twitter users who actually follow a club.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Such is the way of things that we'll sell De Gea for the same that we buy Lloris for. Mental. But if a player wants to go, we can't stop him. We'd be about 8th without him this season.

Depay and Hummels on their way in - so it's not all bad.
Don't forget Smalling signing his new deal.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:28 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Don't forget Smalling signing his new deal.
As far as I'm concerned, Smalling is by far the best of an otherwise mediocre bunch at the centre of our defence, and I'm happy enough with him getting a new deal. Evans & Jones are both substandard and can be shipped on if we can find takers willing to give us a fair price.

If we get a genuine world-class leader to come in at CB to partner Smalling, I'd be happy enough to go with that for next season.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:05 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think Lloris is better than De Gea. But either in the team will win you points. Or you can have Brad Jones...?

As for Smalling - he's atrociously weak. But you can't chuck all 3. Honestly - the persistence with those 3 really appalling defenders is what I think has hurt Man Utd more than a loss of the Ferguson core midfield. They're mediocre - which isn't a slight against them. they are what they are. But they are not remotely top-half of the table players.

Evans is 27. Next season he'll rock up at Sunderland like every other didn't-quite-make-it Utd player and look as terrible as he has for a decade. Smalling is 25. At 25 you'd think you'd know if he was alright or not. I know...he's not good enough for your club. Again nobody worth a damn will purchase him in 18 months and he'll warm a bench. His postioning is really bad. Not Glenn Johnson bad, but pretty naff.

Jones tho is 23 and has masterfully demonstrated how you can be a terrible defender in every single performance on a field. He's either genius in training or got photos of the Glazer's rimming a pony. Of the 3 he looks the weakest to me. Liability.

Hummels is ****ing blinding though.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:47 am
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Evans & Jones are both substandard and can be shipped on if we can find takers willing to give us a fair price.

i.e. More than £20

If we get a genuine world-class leader to come in at CB to partner Smalling, I'd be happy enough to go with that for next season.
Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick View Post
I personally think Lloris is better than De Gea. But either in the team will win you points. Or you can have Brad Jones...?

As for Smalling - he's atrociously weak. But you can't chuck all 3. Honestly - the persistence with those 3 really appalling defenders is what I think has hurt Man Utd more than a loss of the Ferguson core midfield. They're mediocre - which isn't a slight against them. they are what they are. But they are not remotely top-half of the table players.

Evans is 27. Next season he'll rock up at Sunderland like every other didn't-quite-make-it Utd player and look as terrible as he has for a decade. Smalling is 25. At 25 you'd think you'd know if he was alright or not. I know...he's not good enough for your club. Again nobody worth a damn will purchase him in 18 months and he'll warm a bench. His postioning is really bad. Not Glenn Johnson bad, but pretty naff.

Jones tho is 23 and has masterfully demonstrated how you can be a terrible defender in every single performance on a field. He's either genius in training or got photos of the Glazer's rimming a pony. Of the 3 he looks the weakest to me. Liability.

Another poor season by Utd next year (lower than 3rd) would probably make it less likely for them to attract big names the following season. Then they'd be stuck buying Southampton players....
Old Apr 24th 2015, 1:05 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

So - what are your enduring memories of your club this year then?

- Fielding a ****ing B Team against Real Madrid in the Champions League at the Bernebeu. Journalists can bang on about "first manager not to win a trophy inside 3 years" but that decision was a total joke.

- Balotelli turning up. And then Brenda playing him wrong. Buying Rickie Lambert with our Suarez money. Actually buying half of Southampton and none of them seemingly working out that well. Brenda can be a good coach but please dear God stop doing that annoying managerial thing of buying 4 players and then absurdly playing them in an entirely different position to one they showed promise in. Still - with Gerrard off it does free up Lallana to take up his Southampton role, Coutinho to be more mobile and potentially Balo/Sturridge to actually figure out a front two. Mind you we'll buy 13 players in the summer who the **** knows? Just sign Petr Cech and half the defensive woes will be over.

- Jordan Henderson turning into a pretty bloody good midfielder and a decent leader. I had a good pop at the Downing/Henderson/Carroll period. Henderson though has worked his arse off and plays well almost every game. Good lad. Fair play to Skrtel too - he has his limitations but probably his best season after looking ropey for 2 years.

- Gerrard getting sent off in shockingly quick fashion. I don't think he quite gets that his legacy outside Liverpool (unfairly) will be that and falling over.

- Sterling thinking he's CR7 and then - in the way NFL teams apparently seem to publicly expose a college players private transgressions in order to knock their deals down (at least in movies anyway) - having his endless supply of dirty laundry aired in public. I don't care what a player thinks or does in his own life. This whole role model thing is bollocks. But don't just be a unpleasant twat or go tv to try and get a deal or a move. It's such low class. Suarez was an utter **** on the field, apparently a wonderful family man off it but a stunningly good player. Jeez he made Ed cream his considerably stained knickers (stop sending me those photos Ed). But Sterling though wears thin because his potential isn't guaranteed to become anything and he's behaving like he's better than Liverpool.

That sounds negative. Just my nature to take the piss but 6th-ish is about right. Losing Suarez was massive. He had to go, wanted to - but **** he is a good player. If the board keep Brenda it's where we'll finish next season thereabouts.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:01 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

- Fielding a ****ing B Team against Real Madrid in the Champions League at the Bernebeu. Journalists can bang on about "first manager not to win a trophy inside 3 years" but that decision was a total joke.

- Balotelli turning up. And then Brenda playing him wrong. Buying Rickie Lambert with our Suarez money. Actually buying half of Southampton and none of them seemingly working out that well. Brenda can be a good coach but please dear God stop doing that annoying managerial thing of buying 4 players and then absurdly playing them in an entirely different position to one they showed promise in. Still - with Gerrard off it does free up Lallana to take up his Southampton role, Coutinho to be more mobile and potentially Balo/Sturridge to actually figure out a front two. Mind you we'll buy 13 players in the summer who the **** knows? Just sign Petr Cech and half the defensive woes will be over.

- Jordan Henderson turning into a pretty bloody good midfielder and a decent leader. I had a good pop at the Downing/Henderson/Carroll period. Henderson though has worked his arse off and plays well almost every game. Good lad. Fair play to Skrtel too - he has his limitations but probably his best season after looking ropey for 2 years.

- Gerrard getting sent off in shockingly quick fashion. I don't think he quite gets that his legacy outside Liverpool (unfairly) will be that and falling over.

- Sterling thinking he's CR7 and then - in the way NFL teams apparently seem to publicly expose a college players private transgressions in order to knock their deals down (at least in movies anyway) - having his endless supply of dirty laundry aired in public. I don't care what a player thinks or does in his own life. This whole role model thing is bollocks. But don't just be a unpleasant twat or go tv to try and get a deal or a move. It's such low class. Suarez was an utter **** on the field, apparently a wonderful family man off it but a stunningly good player. Jeez he made Ed cream his considerably stained knickers (stop sending me those photos Ed). But Sterling though wears thin because his potential isn't guaranteed to become anything and he's behaving like he's better than Liverpool.

That sounds negative. Just my nature to take the piss but 6th-ish is about right. Losing Suarez was massive. He had to go, wanted to - but **** he is a good player. If the board keep Brenda it's where we'll finish next season thereabouts.
Sums it up nicely, that. A season best forgotten, IMO.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:34 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

We started the season looking for a top 4 finish as a realistic target, perhaps a decent run in the Cup too, and to be fair to LvG, he's achieved both, despite the team playing well below what we all think they can do for long periods during the winter months.

de Gea has developed into one of the best keepers in the world, which has been tremendously satisfying to see, and I'd guess that that in itself is another reason why many will be heartbroken if he decides to leave for Madrid...he feels like 'one of our own' now, and his performances this season have been outstanding, probably worth an extra 12-15 points to us. I'd love him to stay, but Real usually get who they target....

The new signings from the summer have mostly worked out pretty well- Daley Blind really excited me when I knew we were in for him, he's one of those 'unsung' heroes, much like a modern-day Denis Irwin, and it's no surprise to me that he has been an unqualified success, his versatility a real bonus for LvG, especially when we endured that injury crisis around October/November time. di Maria was the most heralded, and started ok, but the robbery in his home has had a knock-on effect on his game, and I'd move him on if PSG give us 60m for him; otherwise he certainly has the potential to come good and be a top player for us.

The re-emergence of Juan Mata has been a joy to see recently- the little man plays with such enthusiasm, and I'm truly delighted he looks happy in a red shirt at last!

Rooney has taken to captaincy like a duck to water, and it doesn't seem to have negatively impacted his own game, so that's another feather for LvG.

The recent run of form that saw us string 6 very impressive wins on the trot has lifted everyone at the Club, and barring a total collapse, top 4 should now be assured, which opens up the possibilities of who we might attract to OT in the summer. We need to prioritise a world-class CB (to partner Chris Smalling, who is easily the best of the current three CBs at the Club), and Michael Carrick (wonderful, wonderful player that he is) will not last forever and I'd gladly welcome Paul Pogba and/or Vidal from Juve to bolster our midfield.

Most improved player? Has to be Ashley Young, who started the campaign as someone most at OT wouldn't have given a second thought to if he'd been moved on- now, I can't even imagine that scenario, the lad has been MAGNIFICENT out on the left for us, best player on the pitch in the Derby, and is surely really pushing now for Roy to make him a permanent fixture in the England team.

So, all-in-all a decent season. Really disappointing to bow out of the FA Cup to Arsenal, in a game we really never turned up for, since it was the only real chance of silverware this time around, but the league finish is heartening, after looking for a time as if we would get squeezed out by our 'friends' down the East Lancs Road...
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:41 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

The difference for us was when Carrick came back. A rolls Royce of a midfielder for us - it's no coincidence that the only game we've lost lately was Chelsea - when he was injured. You hardly notice him until he's gone, but he'll be hard to replace when the time comes. I agree Young has been great this season, and Herrera seems to have finally been given a free role - along with Mata we have the seeds of a decent midfield again. We need Rooney to be left up front so need cover for Carrick. I think spending some cash in Pogba (I doubt he'll come back though), Depay and Hummels will be necessary. Di Maria has shown enough to get another year, but Falcao will certainly go in the summer - so we'll need a number 9 to play along side Shrek. Hernandez? Van Persie? Neither are guaranteed to be fit or consistent enough - neither is Wilson. Noises about Benteke - I'm not convinced by him either.

Maybe we'll buy Suarez?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:51 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Enduring memories.....beating the Arse at the Lane, beating Chelsea at the Lane, beating West Ham at their crap hole, Harry Kane scoring when he wants, getting to a cup final, losing a cup final (still the quest for silverware is unrequited), losing to Villa at the Lane and having that plonker shout, 'have some of that' to Levy as he walked down the tunnel, Mason and Bentaleb forming the start of a nice partnership in midfield, the emergence of a young, fit squad with plenty of potential, some glimmer of hope for the future......a season of highs and lows, which is the norm for us.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:56 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and Cainess, just admit it, Lloris is a better goalie that your precious De Gea and you know it.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:02 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Agree totally about Carrick, very hard to replace a player of his talent (that talent being doing all the 'donkey' work with minimum fuss).

Hernandez looked ok the other night for Real, but I'm not sure he really wants to come back to us again- he has undoubted ability as an out-and-out finisher, though, and perhaps if we have Rooney back up top doing all the 'out of box' work, Chico could be a foil for him?

Depay's arrival will pose a few selection issues, as he seems to be to be a left-sided attacking midfielder...presuming Young isn't sold, could it be the end for di Maria? As I said, if PSG give us 60m for him, I'd use that money to get a genuinely world-class striker in.

Hummels alongside Smalling would hopefully solve our issue in the centre of defence.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:04 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Oh and Cainess, just admit it, Lloris is a better goalie that your precious De Gea and you know it.
Whatever you think, petal....I'll tell you what: if we end the summer still with de Gea as our keeper, I will delightfully allow you to see the error of your judgement AGAIN next season...
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

More of the same from us. Record financial year unveiled - woohoo! His business plan is only getting better results, in terms of the bottom line. We have (probably) successfully walked the line for staying up. The better players are getting duly disgruntled, so we can then go and sell them for a decent profit. The cycle repeats itself. The names of the individual players matter not - they are just an entry on the P&L. Ashley has successfully monetized football, despite the fans. The bumper TV deals will only exacerbate it.

And the whole "boycott" is a demonstration of exactly what a hold football has on people. It's verging on self abuse.

In terms of the wider game, football is very ill. The juggernaut continues to roll on very much like some crack pot dictatorship. Revolution will come, and it will be disruptive. Can't tell you when though - I don't think I can even see any cracks or seams bursting yet.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Are there good defenders in the Premier League? And if so who are they?

My personal opinion (which everyone is entitled too) is a combination of rule changes in favour of attacking players, the high pressing obsession and a general decline in basics has meant that most defenders we see look shocking these days.

Chelsea look the most organised and concentrated but most of the Premier League back 4's look fallible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.