Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:41 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Suarez has scored 2 against City. I don't know whether to be happy or pissed off.
I'm going for pissed off personally
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure we could beat you though.

Tiabi in goal. Obertain, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Veron, Nani, Anderson, Bebe, Bellion, Kagawa (I don't care what people say - he had 2 good games in 2 seasons. Doesn't matter if you are out of position, that's wank), Cruyff, Prunier (worst player I've ever seen play for United) and of course Ralphie Milne.

There are other "flops" (Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Berbatov, Forlan, Poborsky, Owen Hargreaves) who get a bad rap but I actually think did ok for us. At least they tried - that means a lot to a fan.

I know Berbatov didn't technically "try" but he was gifted. Always looked like he could change a game.
Jordi Cruyff took a course at my uni and was in my management accounting exam during his tenure at United.

Smith was a strange player. In his early years he was a striker and somehow ended up as a holding midfielder.

I think Owen was just signed as a 4th striker with the hope they might be able to hustle a little more if they could get him to re-apply himself.

I'm going through my mind now on who has been the worst player I've seen play for Tottenham. I'll come back to you.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:13 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Owen made no sense at all signing for Utd. Except the horse bollocks he and SAF were into.

Hargreaves was just sad. Great player on his game - but utterly crocked.

Berbatov was ****ing immense for one season. The fact he didn't remotely even try made it hilarious.

As for best 11 - if you don't put Keane down first you havent watched the Premier League. He's become a boring, bitter, Lenny-Bruce-like annoying caricature of himself. But dear ****ing christ was he an absolute winner.

In other news, I'm enjoying the "oh no Citeh are ****ed!!" 2-1 journalist narraative plonked right alongside the "it's too close to call!" 2-1 Juve/Dortmund narrative.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:57 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick View Post
Michael Owen made no sense at all signing for Utd. Except the horse bollocks he and SAF were into.

Berbatov was ****ing immense for one season. The fact he didn't remotely even try made it hilarious.

As for best 11 - if you don't put Keane down first you havent watched the Premier League. He's become a boring, bitter, Lenny-Bruce-like annoying caricature of himself. But dear ****ing christ was he an absolute winner.

In other news, I'm enjoying the "oh no Citeh are ****ed!!" 2-1 journalist narraative plonked right alongside the "it's too close to call!" 2-1 Juve/Dortmund narrative.
Owen scored the winner in the dying seconds against City. Brilliant signing for about 4 minutes.

Keane won 15 points a season for us just by being there. I was in Turin when I saw him booked yet still drag us into the European Cup final. The greatest performance in the flesh I ever witnessed - bar none.

I don't care about the champions league this year. At least Gerrard can't win it - that would make me vomit until I turned inside out.

Hargreaves looked a decent signing but SAF complained he never tried to get fit. That is a hell of an accusation. I guess RvN also had dodgy knees, and he turned out ok - still one of the most natural finishers since goal hanger Rush.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hargreaves looked a decent signing but SAF complained he never tried to get fit. That is a hell of an accusation. I guess RvN also had dodgy knees, and he turned out ok - still one of the most natural finishers since goal hanger Rush.
Hargreaves claimed the medical staff ruined him and they claimed his injury was all in his head.

I don't think United were done on the fee. He was England's best player in the tournament previous to signing him.

Still working on Spurs worst ever player. Kazuyuki Toda was definitely out of his depth and I think just signed for a few games to sell some shirts in Japan.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick View Post

Berbatov was brilliant at Tottenham. Worth the ticket money on his own.

He had flashes of brilliance at United but Spurs got the better of the deal trebling their money after two seasons.

Today's game between City and Barca was fantastic. Messi at fault for the goal and also missed the penalty!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 8:31 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Messi at fault for the goal and also missed the penalty!
I agree and they clearly should drop him for the return leg
Old Feb 25th 2015, 10:55 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else shaking their heads at FIFA this morning? Astonishing.

No apologies because they don't give a **** about the people that are paying for this through tickets and buying sponsors products - the fans. The final is going to be on December 23rd. So if you want to go, flight prices will be even more outrageous, getting time off work (especially if you work in retail) will be impossible, the EPL will be off for 2 months - when are they going to make the time up? Assume they'll play July - June. Which is going to mean injuries.

Qatar was a corrupt choice. Did they forget it gets hot in June in the Middle East - did no-one mention this in the bidding process? But the fans will bend over and take it, as usual.

It's about time we just said no. Boycott the tournament, and the sponsors products. I just hate Blatter and his acolytes. Makes me sick.

International football is wank. When it screws with the premiership for 4 weeks a season it pisses me off. But this is going to kill one season, and screw with the ones either side of it.

Bunch of arse.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:14 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

No apologies because they don't give a **** about the people that are paying for this through tickets and buying sponsors products - the fans. The final is going to be on December 23rd. So if you want to go, flight prices will be even more outrageous, getting time off work (especially if you work in retail) will be impossible, the EPL will be off for 2 months - when are they going to make the time up? Assume they'll play July - June. Which is going to mean injuries.

Qatar was a corrupt choice. Did they forget it gets hot in June in the Middle East - did no-one mention this in the bidding process? But the fans will bend over and take it, as usual.

It's about time we just said no. Boycott the tournament, and the sponsors products. I just hate Blatter and his acolytes. Makes me sick.

International football is wank. When it screws with the premiership for 4 weeks a season it pisses me off. But this is going to kill one season, and screw with the ones either side of it.

Bunch of arse.

The most disgusting thing about all of this is the blatant corruption in the 'choice' of Qatar in the first place...that they then hold their own 'public' examination of whether they were corrupt (are you following this...?) and conclude, AGAINST the findings of their own 'investigator' (who was probably threatened with all sorts of harm and sanctions if he didn't shut his gub pronto), that they were not corrupted in the choice...you literally COULDN'T make it up, and for them to expect ordinary football fans to now just 'suck it up' and head to Qatar for Christmas (yeah, that'll be cheap) is just what you'd expect from an organisation with one objective: make as much money as possible, by any means necessary.

I'm sure we (N. Ireland) won't qualify anyway, but I'm not sure I'd want us to, as I don't want to see my fellow countrymen getting blatantly ripped-off and screwed by FIFA 'partners' just to watch the team in a country with no football tradition or history and nothing else about it to attract fans for a month in November....
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:34 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Bunch of arse.
I'm with you. Qatar was an utterly awful choice (as was Russia for 2018 if we're being honest).

World cups should be held in Germany, France, England, Italy the Netherlands, Spain. Places that can handle it and have footballing pedigree. And England.

Then every 4 tournaments, rotate in one of the US, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and Japan.

**** all this inclusive crap. If a country isn't going to make it past the 1st round (and let's be honest, Qatar wouldn't even qualify if they weren't the hosts), they don't get the world cup. A previous appearance in the last 16 should be a minimum requirement for any hosting nation.

**** Blatter, the worthless piece of shit.

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
I'm sure we (N. Ireland) won't qualify anyway ...
Euro '16 is looking likely though. Can you believe it ... ?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:42 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Euro '16 is looking likely though. Can you believe it ... ?
Great start, but as we know only too well, it could blow up in our faces at any stage, so after the initial panty-wetting, I've calmed down and looked at the fixtures ahead and can see where it could all come crashing down around us, especially if we pick up a few injuries or suspensions to the likes of Davis or Carroll.

That said, we've done the hard bit, getting wins in Greece and Hungary, and as long as we perform as we can at Windsor Park, we should be there or thereabouts- you'd fancy Romania to win the Group, but we can certainly ride home on their coat-tails...
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:45 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Great start, but as we know only too well, it could blow up in our faces at any stage, so after the initial panty-wetting, I've calmed down and looked at the fixtures ahead and can see where it could all come crashing down around us, especially if we pick up a few injuries or suspensions to the likes of Davis or Carroll.

That said, we've done the hard bit, getting wins in Greece and Hungary, and as long as we perform as we can at Windsor Park, we should be there or thereabouts- you'd fancy Romania to win the Group, but we can certainly ride home on their coat-tails...
I'll take it for now. I think the last time we've come this close to qualifying for a tournament was in 1990 when we came 3rd in the group behind the group of Englishmen with fake accents that Jackie Charlton guided to to quarters without winning a match ...
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:06 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I'll take it for now. I think the last time we've come this close to qualifying for a tournament was in 1990 when we came 3rd in the group behind the group of Englishmen with fake accents that Jackie Charlton guided to to quarters without winning a match ...
Indeed...and nothing's changed as far as they are concerned- if you're grandad stopped off on the way through Dublin for a Guinness in 1943, you can play for them...

Anyway, I think the games against Finland will be crucial- if we can beat them in Belfast and not 'roll over' in Helsinki, we should be good.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:30 pm
Hail Satan!

Indeed...and nothing's changed as far as they are concerned- if you're grandad stopped off on the way through Dublin for a Guinness in 1943, you can play for them...

Anyway, I think the games against Finland will be crucial- if we can beat them in Belfast and not 'roll over' in Helsinki, we should be good.
Yeah. It's nice to be excited about the team's prospects again.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:54 pm
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it's all good. I just hate any talk of England or United's players involvement with them. Since the England fans hung that effigy of Beckham and kept slagging off Neville, I've always felt they can go **** themselves. Saying a United player should or shouldn't play for England is facile to me. My comparison was to suggest that your lot haven't really contributed to the national cause either. I hope Kane gets picked for England. Only because it will tire him out and make him shit for Spurs. That's what usually happens when players go on international duty.

As for Iniesta and Xavi, of course. But then so would any fans have Messi and Ronaldo too - but the reality is they'd rather play in Spain than England. I don't blame them. At least we had Ronaldo for 6 years. He has been our only true world-class player since Cantona, and the best player ever to play in the PL. And he played for us.

Keane was a great player, but he's turned batshit crazy. He doesn't rate anyone, (except maybe Eric) despite United winning a treble and a pile of trophies during his time there. Even Fergie gets a kicking at the end - his job seems to be putting the boot into the club that made him a millionaire. His record since he left is hardly worthy of praise, is it?

I think most people would suggest Scholes was an amazing player. Personally, I wouldn't have him in my top 10 of United players in the EPL, so I agree it's sometimes overhyped - but he did score some amazing goals.
If a player is playing well for their club, they should be considered for England. My issue with the England set-up is that the 11 best players can't seem to play together as a team at times.

Bunch of arse.
I read something this morning where a fan was complaining that people were only commenting about it affecting the England team, and that we should comment about how it affects all 4 home nations teams.

So someone else replied asking whether Scotland, Wales and NI were as likely to qualify as England are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.