Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Premier League 2014-15

Premier League 2014-15

Old Jan 19th 2015, 12:30 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2014-15

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's unreal isn't it.

Get it in the mixer and anything can happen. Failing to beat the first man or to get it in or to smash it miles to far is just poor. Really sloppy and poor.

It's the same for wingers, Aaron Lennon springs to mind - skin a player, get down the wing and try to cross it, only to just completely fail...regularly.
not just Lennon - Walcott, SWP, Navas lots of them. Mind you there is always the Andros Townsend approach to not cross and to cut inside and then lash the ball into row Z that is equally ineffective.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:17 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Did you not have Donkey Jones taking corners this week? What on earth was the logic behind that?
Yes - there was a great meme that had him taking it, and the comment "when you forget to change your set-piece takers before kick off on FIFA", which summed it up perfectly.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's unreal isn't it.

Get it in the mixer and anything can happen. Failing to beat the first man or to get it in or to smash it miles to far is just poor. Really sloppy and poor.

It's the same for wingers, Aaron Lennon springs to mind - skin a player, get down the wing and try to cross it, only to just completely fail...regularly.
not just Lennon - Walcott, SWP, Navas lots of them. Mind you there is always the Andros Townsend approach to not cross and to cut inside and then lash the ball into row Z that is equally ineffective.
Young's got better, but Valencia has gone backwards. Crossing at pace is harder than a set-piece, but these guys train every day. It's just about the only thing they do. Sticking it near or on the penalty spot, in an enclosed stadium (so everywhere except Stoke) should be a piece of piss. I'm an average golfer - but I could, pretty much on demand, hit a golf ball from 50 meters into an area smaller than the 6 yard box. If I missed it 5 times on the spin, I'd start questioning why I was bothering.

United v Cambridge on Friday. My boy Oli (Gunner Solskjaer's) 7th birthday on Friday too. He wants to go on a pirate cruise on Friday night round St Lucia. I hope he has a nice time without me.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:25 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Young's got better,
He would have struggled to get worse
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:59 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

He would have struggled to get worse
That is very, very true.

He was bought when those rumours were circulating that English teams would need to field 7 English players. Villa seemed to be his perfect level. He was better this season, then twanged his hammy. He's one of those United players I have utter ambivalence towards. Neither like him or dislike him - he's just there. Herrera is another one. Nothing I've seen of him so far has made me excited.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

That is very, very true.

He was bought when those rumours were circulating that English teams would need to field 7 English players. Villa seemed to be his perfect level. He was better this season, then twanged his hammy. He's one of those United players I have utter ambivalence towards. Neither like him or dislike him - he's just there. Herrera is another one. Nothing I've seen of him so far has made me excited.
Yeah understand that, I feel the same about the likes of Navas and Sagna. Nasri on the other hand is extremely dislikeable
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:35 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Been away all weekend and haven't seen a ball kicked, but it sounds like we were the usual turdy muck against QPR, and were just lucky that they're even worse than us...completely agree that the standard in this league has gone downhill...we've been dung in 80% of our games this season and we're still top 4....

Result of the week to the Gooners- citeh may have (apparently) been poor, but you still have to go there, stifle them and then take your own chances when they come, so fair play to Arsene, sounds like he really got one over on Pellegrini. Makes next week at the Bridge a HUGE game for citeh now- they really need a win if they want to stay in the race.

Again, agree with your sentiments on Young, ed...he's 'risen' from a player I actively wanted rid off, to one that I can 'take or leave'...he's been mostly good this season, but he couldn't really have gotten any less effective from last year. Frankly this whole United side underwhelms me...we've played well three times this season (QPR, home; Hull City, home; Liverpool, home), aside from that it has been drudgery. The Treble side of 99 would shit all over this current bunch, in every position. Hopefully the likes of Rojo and Blind develop into class players, but it won't be this year; AdM is undoubted class, but needs to get his niggling injuries clearly up; Falcao is too expensive for what he brings to the table- a player commanding his wage should be knocking in a couple of goals every week (ie. Diego Costa). We've spent 150m, and need another 150m spent to even resemble a decent United side. Oh, and if LvG even contemplates swapping de Gea for bloody Gareth Bale, he can start walking back to Amsterdam right now....

Last edited by Cainess; Jan 19th 2015 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:46 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Result of the week to the Gooners- citeh may have (apparently) been poor, but you still have to go there, stifle them and then take your own chances when they come, so fair play to Arsene, sounds like he really got one over on Pellegrini. Makes next week at the Bridge a HUGE game for citeh now- they really need a win if they want to stay in the race.
City weren't actually poor there was just a misunderstanding of the Manager's instructions. He said shoot early but they thought that meant shoot at the nearest defender to gain a corner rather than shoot at goal. Given that all 19 corners by City ended in good chances for Arsenal (and we haven't scored from a corner since 1974) this turned out to be a significant error in communication.

On the bright side at least Arse got a 2nd goal as I would have felt pretty agrieved to lose 1-0 after that Ashley Young-like double pike with 3 twists to "win" a penalty.

PS I for one give City a 0% chance of getting anything at Chelski!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:53 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

City weren't actually poor there was just a misunderstanding of the Manager's instructions. He said shoot early but they thought that meant shoot at the nearest defender to gain a corner rather than shoot at goal. Given that all 19 corners by City ended in good chances for Arsenal (and we haven't scored from a corner since 1974) this turned out to be a significant error in communication.

On the bright side at least Arse got a 2nd goal as I would have felt pretty agrieved to lose 1-0 after that Ashley Young-like double pike with 3 twists to "win" a penalty.

PS I for one give City a 0% chance of getting anything at Chelski!
Like I said, Mike, I haven't seen a ball kicked all weekend (lots of MoTD to watch this evening...she'll love that... ) so I couldn't possibly comment!

As for next weekend, stranger things have happened, though I would say that the absence of one Mr. Y Toure may be crucial.... hard to see citeh getting more than a point, and that's if they play well and the Chavs don't...
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Like I said, Mike, I haven't seen a ball kicked all weekend (lots of MoTD to watch this evening...she'll love that... ) so I couldn't possibly comment!

As for next weekend, stranger things have happened, though I would say that the absence of one Mr. Y Toure may be crucial.... hard to see citeh getting more than a point, and that's if they play well and the Chavs don't...
Yeah you are right Cainess, when the big man is away on Africa Cup (or injured) we struggle to break down teams who work hard and are well organized defensively. This is not only for what Yaya actually does but also for the fact teams tend to double or treble up on him when he has the ball in the last 3rd giving more space to the likes of Merlin or Nasri to create stuff.

We had a lot of easier fixtures in December hence we closed the gap to Chelski but the Jan/Feb fixtures are more difficult ones and I think getting level with them flattered us a bit. We could have done with some of those Dec fixtures whilst Toure is away if we were to mount any sort of real challenge to Chelski.

With Matic providing excellent protection for Chelsea's only real vulnerability (their racist, adulterous, chronically slow centre half) and Hazard, Fabregas and Costa in top form it is difficult to see anything other than a comfortable home win.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

He's one of those United players I have utter ambivalence towards. Neither like him or dislike him - he's just there. Herrera is another one. Nothing I've seen of him so far has made me excited.
What?! He's been really good when LvG actually uses him, he's a box-to-box midfielder, something we haven't had since Keane and yet LvG would rather piss around with Rooney playing in midfield and Di Maria with his back to goal.

Agreed about Young, though he's shown actual effort this season.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:07 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

United v Cambridge on Friday. My boy Oli (Gunner Solskjaer's) 7th birthday on Friday too. He wants to go on a pirate cruise on Friday night round St Lucia. I hope he has a nice time without me.
Nothing against your little man personally but what is up with kids these days and having to always do something extravagant on their birthdays? What's wrong with a couple of mates round, a bit of jelly and ice cream and pass the flaming parcel?

My daughter announced the other day that her mate is having a shopping party in London for her 14th and they were all taking a hundred quid! I told her Man U have more chance of signing Gareth than her getting a hundred quid to take......(so for the hard of learning Man U fans, that's zero chance then).
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
My daughter announced the other day that her mate is having a shopping party in London for her 14th and they were all taking a hundred quid! I told her Man U have more chance of signing Gareth than her getting a hundred quid to take......(so for the hard of learning Man U fans, that's zero chance then).
give her a quid and tell her not to spend it all at once!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:16 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

give her a quid and tell her not to spend it all at once!
Her bulk standard response whenever she wants money (generally for clothes and make up)....'I'll just take it out of my savings account'.....No love, that money will be for board and lodgings for when we kick you out at 18 (if not before).

Kids these days need a huge reality check.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Her bulk standard response whenever she wants money (generally for clothes and make up)....'I'll just take it out of my savings account'.....No love, that money will be for board and lodgings for when we kick you out at 18 (if not before).

Kids these days need a huge reality check.
Don't worry it is just a phase she's going through; it shouldn't last for more than a further 10 or 12 years
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:41 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy View Post
What?! He's been really good when LvG actually uses him, he's a box-to-box midfielder, something we haven't had since Keane and yet LvG would rather piss around with Rooney playing in midfield and Di Maria with his back to goal.

Agreed about Young, though he's shown actual effort this season.
Yeah, the 'honeymoon' period for LvG is coming to an end, methinks, and persisting with nonsense like wasting di Maria up front is not going to help him. We now have most of the players back from injury (if not fully match-fit), and so he now has no excuse for playing players so woefully out of position that there is no possibility of them being effective.

It seems clear that, for now anyway, 3-5-2 (or indeed 5-3-2, or 5-3-1-1) doesn't come easily to this group, and against the likes of QPR is a total waste, as they only have one effective striker, and we end up with 3 CBs trying to mark him, and lose the midfield through lack of numbers as a consequence...how about playing a formation to our OWN (attacking) strengths and letting the opposition worry about us for a change? We should be playing an offensive 4-4-1-1, with a solid midfield (made up of midfielders, not Rooney, who should be the one 'in the hole' behind the striker), 'stretching the pitch' (as LvG would say) by letting the wingers play with width, getting balls into the area for Falcao or RvP to attack.

Somehow we are still in a good position to make this season a success, but it could still all fall to pieces if LvG insists on this three at the back nonsense, since we don't have even one CB good enough to play it well, never mind three... Jones, Evans & Smalling can all be sold on as far as I'm concerned, as none of them have taken the chance to stake a claim to partner the world-class CB we desperately need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.