Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

poor old paula radcliffe

poor old paula radcliffe

Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:46 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: poor old paula radcliffe

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I used to have a few problems getting out of bed sometimes in my running days- especially after a heavy weight session...turning on my stomach and sliding out was the only way to do it I'm sure you've been there. Still went out and did my 10 mile run in the evening though....masochists we are.

The fair weather friends will be focussing on Kelly Holmes winning the double now. The press are the worst offenders but today's news is tomorrow's chip papers- they'll be full of Holmes now, no doubt, and give Radcliff a break.

I will be very surprised if we see Paula on the starting line for the 10K....as I said, nice fairytale.

Greg White, one of her doctors, thinks her body overheated way beyond critical point, which as you know shuts the body down. Maybe the test results will show something. I remember once pulling up in a cross country race about 200 yds from the finish line- I was way out in front and could have walked across to win but couldnt put one leg in front of the other, which was really baffling until a week later I tested positive for glandular fever.
The trick is not to stop moving - ever. Then your muscles can't seize up

I'm lucky in that I don't require much sleep and stand on my feet at work alm ost constantly, if I had a desk job I think it would be tougher. My muscles can pretty much handle anything I throw at them except the most strenuous stuff and recover quickly. I trail as well as road run, my favourite trail is about 10 miles long (5 miles up and 5 miles down again) but rises and falls 2000ft. I do some work in the gym for strength but I find it mostly too boring, I'd much rather trail run, do yoga and ski - I'm counting the days until it snows already!!!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry, you must have watched a different race. It is one thing to run the World record and beat the clock then to run a race with equal opponents. Where is the notion coming from that she had to win Gold? And to say the winner was pulled along by Paula is just plain sour grapes. I don't remember a race where everyone was just tucked behind Paula to dodge the wind. Most of the time they were running side by side. Marathon running is an event where to some extent you have to beat the element, if you can't you are not a complete athelete.

I just checked your comment she is the world record holder for numerous events. I think you will find she holds the marathon world record no others.

Paula Radcliffe was defeated by the elements not by the ability of the other women in the field....is that easier to understand? Former British Athletes are right the best athlete did not win- but sheesh what would they know about it, eh? Yep the Japanese Nya (can't remember how to spell her name) had a huge advantage running in those conditions and was biologically equipped to deal with the heat. No doubt she did a personal best time as she was pulled along by Radcliffe for the best part of the race...but in sensible conditions she would never have lived with Paula. Paula is the best woman marathon runner in the world- she still holds the World best time.

You know there's a whole world of difference between running in the race hoping to do your best and running to win the gold medal. Paula could have jogged along at half pace and still come in about 6th/7th, but she gave it all she had to win the gold. She ran her own race in a gutsy attempt to win gold, her pace was slower than she normally races but still too fast for the conditions on the day and the elements defeated her- its simple really.

Last edited by simbacat; Aug 26th 2004 at 12:11 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:10 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to agree, Radcliffe WAS beaten by the ability of the other women running. How do I know? Because they beat her. And good too.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well she's confirmed her reservation for the 10,000 metres, which is pretty brave of her considering.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well she's confirmed her reservation for the 10,000 metres, which is pretty brave of her considering.
not really, it would be brave of me, if I were to do it, as I'm a tub of lard and would have a heart attack.

She's a runner, I think she'll be ok.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not really, it would be brave of me, if I were to do it, as I'm a tub of lard and would have a heart attack.

She's a runner, I think she'll be ok.
Manc you would win simply by lining up and frightening off the other competitors.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Manc you would win simply by lining up and frightening off the other competitors.

The cigar would do it
Old Aug 26th 2004, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simbacat
I am sorry, you must have watched a different race. It is one thing to run the World record and beat the clock then to run a race with equal opponents. Where is the notion coming from that she had to win Gold? And to say the winner was pulled along by Paula is just plain sour grapes. I don't remember a race where everyone was just tucked behind Paula to dodge the wind. Most of the time they were running side by side. Marathon running is an event where to some extent you have to beat the element, if you can't you are not a complete athelete.

I just checked your comment she is the world record holder for numerous events. I think you will find she holds the marathon world record no others.

I was watching the Womens marathon. Radcliffe set the pace for the first 15-20K. Noguchi used age old tactics and they paid off for her- and no doubt is being applauded well enough for using them. It has nothing to do with dodging the wind- it has to do with being pulled along by the pace-setter. (why do you think they put pacemakers in other big races?...to pull the other athletes along to a better time). You work much harder setting the pace than hanging on to someone who is...note the final few miles when Noguchi was out in front on her own she got distressed pretty quickly but all credit to her for hanging on to the end to win. Ndereba made her run for the finish too late...and must admit I'd prefer to have seen the Kenyan up there winning gold- she's the world no.2 and has so often come in second to Radcliffe, and a damn fine runner who ran her own race.

Ask the people who are slamming Radcliffe where the notion came from that she was guaranteed a Gold medal. The stupid press made it sound like she only had to turn up to get Gold, so maybe some people who have no clue what's involved swallowed that.

Anything can happen in an Olympic final- all athletes know that. My opinion of Radcliffe's performance- she went out a bit too fast for the conditions, even though it was slower than she normally runs, and she should have forced someone else to take the pace- she had the fastest 10K, 5K and even 1500metre speed in the field and could have blown away the other runners there in the last 3 miles. But that's not the way she races- she's a gutsy runner, takes it out from the front. Ordinarily she could have run the other women out of the race but not in that heat and humidity. I didn't think she was going to win before the race started, because of the conditions and the way she races - of course the Japanese, Africans etc have the edge in those conditions...same as Northern Europeans do in cold weather. And in an Olympic final the other runners were going to kill themselves to hang on to Radcliffe as long as possible ...if I was really being unkind to Noguchi, I'd have said she got lucky that Radcliffe blew up in the heat. That is unkind, but true. It was the heat that got Radcliffe not the other runners ability.

Sour grapes no- although I would rather have seen Ndereba take the gold. Noguchi ran the better race on the day, but Ndereba is the finer athlete and Radcliff is still the 'all time' best Women's Marathon runner- the Olympics doesn't change that. Noguchi goes up a notch in the world ranking to no. 9 or 8, I think, after this win. Radcliffe is still no.1 and Ndereba no.2.

Given the facts of Radcliffe's body temp in the race - if she had walked to the finish, like some people are saying she should have done, she would have been dead. I still maintain she should have pulled out 2 miles before she did. 16-18 runners did not finish (some good names amongst them)- and the majority of those who finished ended up on saline drip in the medical centre- that's not on! The officials should be shot for caving in to US schedule demands to have the race run at that time..money before athletes again. Apparently the men's marathon is to be run at the same time to suit US scheduling.

I think you'll find that Paula Radcliffe has broken the Marathon world record twice and currently holds the world record for the marathon, the 20K- set in Puerto Rico, and the 10K set in UK. She also holds the WR for 8Km, 5 miles, 15Km, 10 miles, the half Marathon, 25Km, 30Km and the 20 miles. Some of these are split times - but all are World records ratified by the IAAF. Check it out.
http://www.gbrathletics.com/wrec.htm

Um No, Noguchi is not her equal as a runner, she has a long way to go before she equals Radcliffe's standing, she may well do it in time but at the moment no she is not- Olympic Golds very often don't go to the 'best' in the event.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 26th 2004 at 6:33 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lairdside
The trick is not to stop moving - ever. Then your muscles can't seize up
LOL there you go- didn't we all wish we could do that. I always found the weight training boring too, although pilates was enjoyable..much preferred to be out on the track or road.
Kudos to you for getting back into it. I still jog and swim, but I think a 10+ mile race in the heat and humidity in Florida would kill me now at my age. The only way I'll do 10 miles now is on a treadmill in airconditioning.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you'll find that Paula Radcliffe has broken the Marathon world record twice and currently holds the world record for the marathon, the 20K- set in Puerto Rico, and the 10K set in UK. She also holds the WR for 8Km, 5 miles, 15Km, 10 miles, the half Marathon, 25Km, 30Km and the 20 miles. Some of these are split times - but all are World records ratified by the IAAF. Check it out.
http://www.gbrathletics.com/wrec.htm

Um No, Noguchi is not her equal as a runner, she has a long way to go before she equals Radcliffe's standing, she may well do it in time but at the moment no she is not- Olympic Golds very often don't go to the 'best' in the event.
Well unfortunately you can quote all sorts of funny distances when noone is actually running them and noone cares that you hold them. As I said I never argued she can run against the clock. 10k would that be the 10000m if so she doesn't hold the WR. http://www.eurosport.de/home/pages/V...po6_Gnd2.shtml
The page is from eurosport.de unfortunately I couldn't find the English equivalent. Well I see now you are talking about road running. Well to be honest it is obviously not worth arguing. She run a marathon in world record time and she beat other athletes in the split times, what can I say except if she didn't she wouldn't possibly run WR? Olympic Gold don't go to the best in the event, well that goes for almost any competition. But unfortunatly that is where it counts. Ask Bob Beaman.

Last edited by simbacat; Aug 26th 2004 at 8:58 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:14 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Olympic Golds very often don't go to the 'best' in the event.
Good explanation.

But Olympic Golds - I hope you'll agree - go to the best competitor on the day? (So obvious, I writhe - but you seem to disagree in your write-up?)
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Don
Good explanation.

But Olympic Golds - I hope you'll agree - go to the best competitor on the day? (So obvious, I writhe - but you seem to disagree in your write-up?)
I said Noguchi ran the best race on the day in my write up But she aint the best marathon runner in the world

simbacat- only a few were split times - the others were set in huge events. She also holds records - Commonwealth, European on the track. You cannot be ratified for a world record if you run against the clock and no other runners- it has to be done in competition. You can't accuse Radcliffe of not winnning titles either.
So what is Bob Beaman nowadays? (apart from really being one jump- and yes it was collossal at the time).... he's not a hugely respected athlete. In fact he disappeared after the following Olympics...didn't he withdraw from defending his title (bad back or something). I don't keep up with the long jump, but I know Lyn Davies personally (competed against Beamen all the time).
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

pjlfc will become famous soon enoughpjlfc will become famous soon enough

[
Ordinarily she could have run the other women out of the race but not in that heat and humidity.
Bad luck for Paula but i believe that the athletics team where based in Cyprus prior to the Olympics for about two months to climatise to the conditions,bearing in mind that Cyprus is hotter than Greece most of the time(got back from holiday in Pernera,Cyprus 3weeks ago,38/40 degrees C,every day,slightly cooler in the mountains!).At the end of the day the medals go to the best athletes on the day,not what you've done previously.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

So what is Bob Beaman nowadays? (apart from really being one jump- and yes it was collossal at the time).... he's not a hugely respected athlete. In fact he disappeared after the following Olympics...didn't he withdraw from defending his title (bad back or something). I don't keep up with the long jump, but I know Lyn Davies personally (competed against Beamen all the time).
Well at the moment he is in Athens being invited by TV stations from all over the world because of one jump. I was trying to say who cares what you have done before or after. It is at the Olympics where it counts. I don't know how you define hugely respected, I am sure he is in the USA hugely respected. And by the sounds of things you only respect certain athletes but not others. Personally I have respect for the Austrian swimmer Markus Rogan, who after the US swimmer was disqualified said, he doesn't want the gold medal because he didn't win it. And in my eyes Paula has my respect because she never has come up with any excuse like weather or being northern European. It just didn't work out!
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:30 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Well your only as good as your last race. Which for Radcliffe means dropping out. Twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.