Reload this Page >

poor old paula radcliffe

poor old paula radcliffe

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: poor old paula radcliffe

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
...god that was a mightmare to watch her give up!
the news websites all say it was due to heat exhaustion, unavoidable despite all the training.

poor lass.....

sue

the word "weak" comes to mind!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnet
What weak? See my post above Have you done that? She has broken a 2:15 marathon and is the world record holder. Have you done that?

Weak - the woman could run rings around you.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:58 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tone
Just checked out the 6 O'clock BBC news and Paula is the newslead, but when you see her story of missed Olympic Gold followed by that of the starvation happening in Sudan then you wonder where on earth the BBC get their priorities.

Come on Paula, look at the scenes from Sudan that'll stop your self pity.

I know what you mean, I listened to the BBC on Newhour on PBR and they spent 15 mintues talking about her and then waved of the Darfur genocide. They managed to suggest it was the fault of American television networks. Something like "Marathons usually start in morning. There have been accusations that the race schedule was designed to fit in with US television broadcasts." Yeah...that's why everyone else gave up as well then. And why it was on in the early afternoon too.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:46 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked out the 6 O'clock BBC news and Paula is the newslead, but when you see her story of missed Olympic Gold followed by that of the starvation happening in Sudan then you wonder where on earth the BBC get their priorities.

Come on Paula, look at the scenes from Sudan that'll stop your self pity.
Now this makes sense - not the Paula is weak stuff,
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:24 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I feel sorry for Kelly Holmes, she goes out and becomes only the 7th British and NI woman ever to win a track and field gold, and her achievement seems to have been overshadowed by The People's Quitter.

They'll be building a deathtrap fountain in some London park next.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:43 pm

I feel sorry for Kelly Holmes, she goes out and becomes only the 7th British and NI woman ever to win a track and field gold, and her achievement seems to have been overshadowed by The People's Quitter.

Here's Holmes.

She doesn't seem to agree with you about Radcliffe though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...cs/3592768.stm
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnet

Weak??? You've got to be joking. That girl has the courage of a lion! she took it out there and went for gold, and she ran herself into the ground- unfortunately for her and it seems the whole of Britain- before she crossed the finish line. Radcliff is one of those rare breed athletes who can run themselves into the ground- she's just gone up in my estimation to one of the all time great distance runners. Given the appalling conditions, trying to run her race was an act of courage- she could have sauntered at the back and finished the damn course, or she could have drafted off some other runners (like the Jap who eventually won did) and relied on finishing speed. But she took it out there like the true athlete she is. It's a damn shame that she is being criticised for a gutsy attempt to win the gold Britain "expected". Had the race been run in the cooler morning -like she and other athletes campaigned for- you would have all been hailing her as a hero now.

So Britain didn't get its gold- boo hoo....suck it up. Paula will get over her personal disappointment (what's really sad is that she feels she let everyone down- she doesn't owe anyone, but herself, anything) and come back as strong as ever. She is the greatest woman marathon runner we've seen....nothing's changed there. Very often the Olympic gold doesn't go the best athlete.
I don't have a lot of respect for the Jap who did take Gold....but I don't like parasitic running....nothing gutsy about that- letting someone else do all the hard work.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:52 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I like your style, Tone.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Weak??? You've got to be joking. That girl has the courage of a lion! she took it out there and went for gold, and she ran herself into the ground- unfortunately for her and it seems the whole of Britain- before she crossed the finish line. Radcliff is one of those rare breed athletes who can run themselves into the ground- she's just gone up in my estimation to one of the all time great distance runners. Given the appalling conditions, trying to run her race was an act of courage- she could have sauntered at the back and finished the damn course, or she could have drafted off some other runners (like the Jap who eventually won did) and relied on finishing speed. But she took it out there like the true athlete she is. It's a damn shame that she is being criticised for a gutsy attempt to win the gold Britain "expected". Had the race been run in the cooler morning -like she and other athletes campaigned for- you would have all been hailing her as a hero now.

So Britain didn't get its gold- boo hoo....suck it up. Paula will get over her personal disappointment (what's really sad is that she feels she let everyone down- she doesn't owe anyone, but herself, anything) and come back as strong as ever. She is the greatest woman marathon runner we've seen....nothing's changed there. Very often the Olympic gold doesn't go the best athlete.
I don't have a lot of respect for the Jap who did take Gold....but I don't like parasitic running....nothing gutsy about that- letting someone else do all the hard work.

she still quit though - don't care what she did in the past............your only as good as your last race, and her last race was bloody awful!!! The distance for a marathon is 26.3 miles not 22miles and then stop as soon as your out of medal contention. Therefore, the woman displayed her true colours.........WEAKNESS!!!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:28 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Taffyles. I wish people would give her a break, she did the best she could possibly do, and that's all we can ask of her. I'm wondering if the people calling her a quitter actually saw the race! At the end she could barely stand let alone run, but she still tried to carry on running. Does anyone actually think she wanted to quit? I guess what we have here is a case of knocking someone while they're down.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: poor old paula radcliffe

/7TE=johnnet]she still quit though - don't care what she did in the past............your only as good as your last race, and her last race was bloody awful!!! The distance for a marathon is 26.3 miles not 22miles and then stop as soon as your out of medal contention. Therefore, the woman displayed her true colours.........WEAKNESS!!![/QUOTE]
She fluffed it - poor preparation?

She's only human.

Like Waynetta 'Shagga' Rooney?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:33 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
/7TE=johnnet]she still quit though - don't care what she did in the past............your only as good as your last race, and her last race was bloody awful!!! The distance for a marathon is 26.3 miles not 22miles and then stop as soon as your out of medal contention. Therefore, the woman displayed her true colours.........WEAKNESS!!!
She fluffed it - poor preparation?

She's only human.

Like Waynetta 'Shagga' Rooney?[/QUOTE]

Hey Don

Nice to see ya back, now let me join this debate, gonna have a look

Walla
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:35 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What weak? See my post above Have you done that? She has broken a 2:15 marathon and is the world record holder. Have you done that?

Weak - the woman could run rings around you.
Proves my point exactly. She is the best in the world, she trained in Spain to get used to the heat and surveyed evey metre of the course before the race. Therefore there is no real excuse other than a bottle job. And as others pointed out as soon as she knew the gold was out of reach she quit.

As for running rings around me, an 80 year old asthmatic dwarf could run rings around me but I ain't been training my whole life for an olympic gold nor would I wish to. I'd like to see Paula Yates get the better of me in a belching contest though...
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:39 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I'm with you Taffyles. I wish people would give her a break, she did the best she could possibly do, and that's all we can ask of her. I'm wondering if the people calling her a quitter actually saw the race! At the end she could barely stand let alone run, but she still tried to carry on running. Does anyone actually think she wanted to quit? I guess what we have here is a case of knocking someone while they're down.
I'll second that. I ran when I was younger was consistently running olympic B qualifying and occasional olympic A qualifying times. I eventually made the decision to quit athletics and concentrate on academics.

Now, many years later I have started to run again. This time I'm training for the marathon they wouldn't allow me to run when I was younger (they cited the later fear of osteoporosis due to too much running too young....). The dedication and commitment of someone training for any of the events of incredible and imho difficult to imagine for someone who has never been directly involved with a similar undertaking.

I'll never come close to anything like the times Paula is achieving. I'd be pleased with anything in the 2:30 - 2:45 range to be honest and many people I know run considerably slower times than that. Running 120 - 144 miles per week at times in training, strength training, dietary restrictions..... how the hell can anyone who submits to that be weak?

Last edited by lairdside; Aug 24th 2004 at 7:43 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:42 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

LEAD: NO LIGHT AT END OF RADCLIFFES TUNNEL VISION

Sub header:

The marathon runners easy, outgoing personality was suffocated by an intense, all consuming focus on winning Olympic gold but questions remain about her preparation for the extreme conditions in Athens remain.

Very interesting article in todays Gaurdian about her obssessive husband and pushing her all the way. However I'd love to see her do the 10k on Friday and follow Kelly's example. Come on Paula stuff em

Walla

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.