Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Old Firm In England

Old Firm In England

Old May 9th 2009, 9:45 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Firm In England

Originally Posted by framac67 View Post
Good on ya baby. I personally couldn;t be bothered to try and educate them for a 40 or 50th time. It does get a bit tedious but am rather prone to siding with Martin O'Neill, who has been there in both camps , and says they would be challenging in no time. I personally think its the fear factor. They've been trying to block us any way they can so when it looks like a distinct possibility, the shuters go up and the negativity starts. My personal opinion would be that within 3 to 4 years, Celtic would be in the top 2 if not the best. Give Celtic (maybe Rangers) Man Us revenue and then see what happens. What are you fearful of.
It's easy to win the league when you play the same teams 4 times a year.

Oh, and you'd have to earn Man U's revenue before comparing Celtic to them (and I say that as an Arsenal supporter). Why should anyone give you what they've worked for.

I'm not fearful of Celtic and Rangers joining the English leagues, but it wouldn't be fair to the top Championship teams to let you both straight into the Premier league. How about starting from the Second Division and working up. If you're that good, you should be in the PL in 4yrs. Of course, taking 5,000 fans to Bournemouth for an away game is a bit further than taking them to Motherwell!

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; May 9th 2009 at 9:50 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:33 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
It's easy to win the league when you play the same teams 4 times a year.

Oh, and you'd have to earn Man U's revenue before comparing Celtic to them (and I say that as an Arsenal supporter). Why should anyone give you what they've worked for.

I'm not fearful of Celtic and Rangers joining the English leagues, but it wouldn't be fair to the top Championship teams to let you both straight into the Premier league. How about starting from the Second Division and working up. If you're that good, you should be in the PL in 4yrs. Of course, taking 5,000 fans to Bournemouth for an away game is a bit further than taking them to Motherwell!
Par - we'd whip yer asses Fair do's though, we have the best fan base in the world, not so sure how the other fans would take to that. ALso would there be rioting and clashing of fans? Who knows, but i can tell you something - any rioting and will not be caused by Celtic fans - not on your life!
Old May 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Let them in - it will take their disease away from Scottish football for starters.
Also who doesn't find the situation at St James' park amusing - throw in the bigots of the Old Firm and similar comedic moments are sure to follow shortly thereafter.
I must confess that I find the suggestion of the OF joining the English league coming from a Septic fan is rather amusing - surely that's the definition of irony, no ?
Old May 9th 2009, 2:42 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Let them in - it will take their disease away from Scottish football for starters.
Also who doesn't find the situation at St James' park amusing - throw in the bigots of the Old Firm and similar comedic moments are sure to follow shortly thereafter.
I must confess that I find the suggestion of the OF joining the English league coming from a Septic fan is rather amusing - surely that's the definition of irony, no ?
From a septic fan?

You really are talking diseases arent ya!
Old May 9th 2009, 5:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

rather than this being a pissing match.

Would anyone care to answer the points I raised in post 2?
Old May 9th 2009, 7:25 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
rather than this being a pissing match.

Would anyone care to answer the points I raised in post 2?
I'll try to.

Basically, without getting into a Scots / Anglo pissing contest.......

1) When Cardiff got to the final of the FA Cup, the English FA said they would not invite Cardiff to take an English UEFA Cup spot should they win the FA Cup.

What assurances would Celtic or Rangers get to compete in Europe off the English FA.

Sweet FA

2) Would the English police really want 30,000 pissed up glaswegians invading England every other week?

Most away teams would only usually be allocated around 5% of the home team's ground capacity for league fixtures. Even at Old trafford, this wouldn't amount to more than 3,500 away fans with tickets. Both teams wouldn't be able to play home games on the same day, but even if both played away from home on any weekend, I doubt you'd get more than 10,000 fans travelling between both teams.

3) Whats in it for the Scottish domestic league? apart from it becoming a glorified League of Wales?

Sweet FA except the loss of the leagues biggest fan bases.

4) What's in it for mediocre English league teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham etc........ after all, 2 extra Scottish teams in the Premierleague means 2 less English teams.

Sweet FA. Maybe if it happened, we'd swap Newcastle and Sunderland for Rangers and Celtic, as the former are the closet PL team to Scotland.

The Scottish seem to be all for devolution until being with the English benefits them.
Maybe Hadrian did have the right idea, after all?
Old May 9th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, without getting into a Scotch / Anglo pissing contest.......

1) When Cardiff got to the final of the FA Cup, the English FA said they would not invite Cardiff to take an English UEFA Cup spot should they win the FA Cup.

What assurances would Celtic or Rangers get to compete in Europe off the English FA.

2) Would the English police really want 30,000 pissed up glaswegians invading England every other week?

3) Whats in it for the Scottish domestic league? apart from it becoming a glorified League of Wales?

4) What's in it for mediocre English league teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham etc........ after all, 2 extra Scottish teams in the Premierleague means 2 less English teams.

The Scottish seem to be all for devolution until being with the English benefits them.
1)Money talks and I would think if Celtic or rangers take these slots, then so be it. Depends on what they call the league. The BPL.
2)This is a matter which would in time fizzle away as it became the norm (pardon the terminology. Its sunday morn)
3)I would suggest a parachute payment but without the old firm, it is a glorified league of Wales. The old firm have been subsidising the rest of Scottish football for years.
4)This suggestion is coming from Boltons chairman who obviously sees it as the big 4 then the rest are up for relegation every year. If they decide on the name being the British premier or similar, then the issue of English and Scottish is no longer there.
Pick holes if you want but I believe its fine print that needs ironed out.
I think the push is coming from England, so who is benefitting.

Last edited by framac67; May 9th 2009 at 11:57 pm.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:37 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

1)Money talks and I would think if Celtic or rangers take these slots, then so be it. Depends on what they call the league. The BPL.
2)This is a matter which would in time fizzle away as it became the norm (pardon the terminology. Its sunday morn)
3)I would suggest a parachute payment but without the old firm, it is a glorified league of Wales. The old firm have been subsidising the rest of Scottish football for years.
4)This suggestion is coming from Boltons chairman who obviously sees it as the big 4 then the rest are up for relegation every year. If they decide on the name being the British premier or similar, then the issue of English and Scottish is no longer there.
Pick holes if you want but I believe its fine print that needs ironed out.
I think the push is coming from England, so who is benefitting.
I'm not really picking holes in it per se. But I also think once we have a British League then FIFA will want us to have 1 association and 1 national team.

I'm not against that either, but I think I am in the minority there.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:00 am
Jigsaw

I'm not really picking holes in it per se. But I also think once we have a British League then FIFA will want us to have 1 association and 1 national team.

Septic Bladder of FIFA has been trying to get a single UK FA for a few years now, merging the English, Welsh and Scottish FA's together, with the NI FA either joining the UK or Republic of Ireland FA. I'm not interested in the national team whichever way it goes, as I'd feel a hypocrite cheering for Lampard, Terry or Rooney for England games when I severely dislike them the rest of the season.

I'm not for or against it either, Manc. It is worth considering.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:09 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
I'm not for or against it either, Manc. It is worth considering.
4 British teams (eng, NI, Sco, Wales), we get 4 votes in UEFA.

1 British team, 1 vote in UEFA
Old May 10th 2009, 3:02 am
Jigsaw

4 British teams (eng, NI, Sco, Wales), we get 4 votes in UEFA.

1 British team, 1 vote in UEFA
Old May 10th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

That makes 2 of us.
Old May 10th 2009, 12:28 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

That makes 2 of us.
And that makes three. It would hopefully stop that inane "Ingerland!" chanting at least. I mean really - "Come On England!" is perhaps the worst terrace chant in national football.

A UK league would be fantastic mind you wouldn't it? Playing on the south coast one week, Edinburgh the next, then to South Wales, then bouncing over to Northern Ireland. That would be something special.

And I really don't mind about just having one vote in UEFA. IT doesn't men bugger all anyway. And a UK-wide European Cup/World Cup is infinitely more appealing that just staging it in England.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
And that makes three. It would hopefully stop that inane "Ingerland!" chanting at least. I mean really - "Come On England!" is perhaps the worst terrace chant in national football.

A UK league would be fantastic mind you wouldn't it? Playing on the south coast one week, Edinburgh the next, then to South Wales, then bouncing over to Northern Ireland. That would be something special.

And I really don't mind about just having one vote in UEFA. IT doesn't men bugger all anyway. And a UK-wide European Cup/World Cup is infinitely more appealing that just staging it in England.
I think the real danger in all of this is the fact that the weak teams will get weaker and the remains of the leagues will fade away to not much more than Sunday football.
This is happening in England as we speak. As Bronco said, how many more teams need to go into administration before somebody with the power says enough. The money needs to be spread more evenly. Even the parachute payments arent comparable with the loss of revenue.
I have always thought the pyramid system of promotion was the best way which in Scotland doesn't happen. The SFA is run by blazers who have for years looked after themselves. Bloody freemason pen pushers.
Two new leagues would seem appealing to the TV companies with entry to Europe from the top division. There was talk of a European league involving Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Feynoord and other top teams from smaller countries but I think logistically it would be a nightmare plus the costs involved.
I for one would love to see it come to fruition and I believe more and more people are turning on to the idea.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:02 am

I think the real danger in all of this is the fact that the weak teams will get weaker and the remains of the leagues will fade away to not much more than Sunday football.
This is happening in England as we speak. As Bronco said, how many more teams need to go into administration before somebody with the power says enough. The money needs to be spread more evenly. Even the parachute payments arent comparable with the loss of revenue.
I have always thought the pyramid system of promotion was the best way which in Scotland doesn't happen. The SFA is run by blazers who have for years looked after themselves. Bloody freemason pen pushers.
Two new leagues would seem appealing to the TV companies with entry to Europe from the top division. There was talk of a European league involving Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Feynoord and other top teams from smaller countries but I think logistically it would be a nightmare plus the costs involved.
I for one would love to see it come to fruition and I believe more and more people are turning on to the idea.

Would b great framac67 - but realistically i can't see it happening in our lifetime, but stranger things have happened, so fingers crossed.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.