Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Old Firm In England

Old Firm In England

Old May 3rd 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old Firm In England

Sounding like a real possibility so what do the peeps think.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Firm In England

Basically, without getting into a Scotch / Anglo pissing contest.......

1) When Cardiff got to the final of the FA Cup, the English FA said they would not invite Cardiff to take an English UEFA Cup spot should they win the FA Cup.

What assurances would Celtic or Rangers get to compete in Europe off the English FA.

2) Would the English police really want 30,000 pissed up glaswegians invading England every other week?

3) Whats in it for the Scottish domestic league? apart from it becoming a glorified League of Wales?

4) What's in it for mediocre English league teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham etc........ after all, 2 extra Scottish teams in the Premierleague means 2 less English teams.

The Scottish seem to be all for devolution until being with the English benefits them.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 4th 2009, 1:25 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67 View Post
Sounding like a real possibility so what do the peeps think.
I think Celtic and Rangers would be shooting themselves in the foot financially: at the moment they're basically guaranteed champions league football every season, but if they joined the premiership they could end up scrapping for the UEFA cup spots with Villa and Everton.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:16 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
I think Celtic and Rangers would be shooting themselves in the foot financially: at the moment they're basically guaranteed champions league football every season, but if they joined the premiership they could end up scrapping for the UEFA cup spots with Villa and Everton.
More like the Johnsons Paint Trophy. If these two teams joined the English Premier League all their decent players would bail out and join other clubs. Half their squads are there solely because they automatically get into the Champs League each year. They'd have to spend like lunatics to keep up and would be in serious financial trouble as soon as they drop down the leagues.

And it's unimaginably rude to the other SPL teams no?
Old May 4th 2009, 8:23 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

If they want to join the English league that's fine, but I think they should have to start at the bottom, like in the Blue Square or something. Otherwise I don't see how it would be fair on teams that would have got promoted to the Premier League instead of them.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
More like the Johnsons Paint Trophy. If these two teams joined the English Premier League all their decent players would bail out and join other clubs. Half their squads are there solely because they automatically get into the Champs League each year. They'd have to spend like lunatics to keep up and would be in serious financial trouble as soon as they drop down the leagues.

And it's unimaginably rude to the other SPL teams no?
dont see how they would be in financial trouble when they have gates of over 50,000 most weeks

people forget that ok they dont do so great in the Champions League in general but the top English teams have struggled to beat them in recent years.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
If they want to join the English league that's fine, but I think they should have to start at the bottom, like in the Blue Square or something. Otherwise I don't see how it would be fair on teams that would have got promoted to the Premier League instead of them.
Its a totally new league with two lots of 18 and its the diddy teams who want them in because of their financial pulling power As for the violence that Rangers seem to have in England, I believe this will diminish if its a weekly occurrence.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:38 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco View Post
dont see how they would be in financial trouble when they have gates of over 50,000 most weeks
50,000 people would get a bit fed up of watching their team getting hammered every week though.

They wouldn't be in the Champs League any more for one thing, and would have a very hard time of it getting into Europe at all. So that revenue is out. There is talk about them returning their TV money they've already spent if they jump ship and play in England. Gate receipts don't come anywhere near close to paying wages even if all their half decent players would leave, which they would. They'd end up doing what many promoted English teams do - taking a chance on a bunch of overpaid uninterested over-hyped foreign players and struggling to get out of the bottom 4. Before you know it that guaranteed 30 million is gone and they're struggling at the bottom half of the Championship begging the SFA to let them back in.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

50,000 people would get a bit fed up of watching their team getting hammered every week though.
you been to St James Park recently?
Old May 6th 2009, 4:20 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
you been to St James Park recently?
Masochistic Geordies aside, there is no place in the Premiership for the 'old firm'.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

They wouldn't be in the Champs League any more for one thing, and would have a very hard time of it getting into Europe at all. So that revenue is out. There is talk about them returning their TV money they've already spent if they jump ship and play in England. Gate receipts don't come anywhere near close to paying wages even if all their half decent players would leave, which they would. They'd end up doing what many promoted English teams do - taking a chance on a bunch of overpaid uninterested over-hyped foreign players and struggling to get out of the bottom 4. Before you know it that guaranteed 30 million is gone and they're struggling at the bottom half of the Championship begging the SFA to let them back in.
Attendences of 50,000 is right up there with the top 6 in the premiership - u obviously dont know much about Old Firm fans they turn up each week knowing they are going to flog most teams but yet they still pay the money to do so - I'm no scots lover but have to say they are some of the most loyal and passionate fans not only to home games but they are always take a good contingent to away games.

champions league revenue is predominantly incentive based as they never do much in Europe they wouldnt get that much money anyway - ok so they may have to pay SFA back money but the money they would get for TV rights for joining premiership would surpass that anyway.

as i stated b4 if the premiership top 4 struggles to beat them in Europe then y would they suddenly get flogged my mediocre mid table sides.

your kidding yourself if u think they would be that piss poor.

lets face it, it only takes one rich Arab or Russian billionaire - they have the ground, the fan base & back that up with a load of money and they could be one of the biggest clubs in Europe - if they were in the premier league then they would be very appealing to a potential buyer
Old May 7th 2009, 4:45 pm
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
Masochistic Geordies aside, there is no place in the Premiership for the 'old firm'.
The top 6 to 8 teams in the premiership are killing the rest of the league from a financial perspective and the end result is happy armchair supporters and **** all else, except for the destruction of traditional football.

Premier league two is the way to go, AKA the Solution... Celtic and Rangers would be more than welcome to start off in that.

How many other teams have to go to administration before the English FA sees sense.

Personally as a Palace fan, I dont care if Palace start in the 2nd Premier league or not... But I dont fancy them going into admin or out of business just because they HAVE to spend 100 mill to realistically compete and potentially come straight back down from the premier league as it is at present.

Do people really want to see Leeds. Notts Forest.. Norwich, Southampton go under... let alone chav teams like Charlton... as much as I would like to see that personally.

You know it makes sense.

PL2

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 7th 2009 at 4:49 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:46 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me - this is NOT the old firm in England!

This is the huns (Rangers) doing what they do best!

Celtic are nothing like them, never was and never will be.
Old May 9th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts View Post
Excuse me - this is NOT the old firm in England!

This is the huns (Rangers) doing what they do best!

Celtic are nothing like them, never was and never will be.
Good on ya baby. I personally couldn;t be bothered to try and educate them for a 40 or 50th time. It does get a bit tedious but am rather prone to siding with Martin O'Neill, who has been there in both camps , and says they would be challenging in no time. I personally think its the fear factor. They've been trying to block us any way they can so when it looks like a distinct possibility, the shuters go up and the negativity starts. My personal opinion would be that within 3 to 4 years, Celtic would be in the top 2 if not the best. Give Celtic (maybe Rangers) Man Us revenue and then see what happens. What are you fearful of.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.