Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

No footie online in the US

No footie online in the US

Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No footie online in the US

I apologise if this has been done before (and feel free to poiint me to the thread if it has) but, with the imminent demise of Setanta-i, I've been unable to find a reliable, quality source of footie online. (I'm not interested in some P2P videocast in Croatian recycled through something like "freefootieonline" or "watchsoccerfree" or any of the other crap ripoff merchants.

Anyone have any information about good quality football video online?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No footie online in the US

I watch it on this thing called a Television, It's a bit fancy I know......
but the picture is crystal.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
I watch it on this thing called a Television, It's a bit fancy I know......
but the picture is crystal.
Yeah, very good Manc. I almost laughed.

Pity my question was about football online.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:55 am
Remainer

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingone View Post
I apologise if this has been done before (and feel free to poiint me to the thread if it has) but, with the imminent demise of Setanta-i, I've been unable to find a reliable, quality source of footie online. (I'm not interested in some P2P videocast in Croatian recycled through something like "freefootieonline" or "watchsoccerfree" or any of the other crap ripoff merchants.

Anyone have any information about good quality football video online?
Here are some suggestions for you to understand if you want a semi-sensible answer from anyone here.

1st. GIGO (aka the Garbage In, Garbage Out principle). The more info you can supply, the more accurate info you're likely to receive.
We don't know which country you're in, and many countries (including the US and the UK) do not allow people outside that country to view online content from there. Here in Canada (less than 100km from the US) I can watch any of the 5 major US networks broadcast from Buffalo, (New York State), but I can't watch any of it online. The opposite I suspect is true of watching Canadian TV in the US.

2nd. If you're not interested in P2P sites then you're restricted to whatever TV channels in your country broadcast sport online. Google the names of the channels you get on TV and take a look.

3rd. You're more likely to get international sports games at the local sports bar than you will online. There'll usually be at least one in any major city that shows live (or tape-delayed) games, and many don't make a cover charge except for pay-per-view stuff.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 18th 2010 at 3:57 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Captain Hook, you're correct - I did not supply enough information (although you're not very diplomatic with your GIGO comment.)

I live in the United States and can VPN to a server in the UK. As my original post implied, I am currently using Setanta-i to watch football online (NOT a P2P site) but Setanta-i ceases to transmit on February 28. I have not been able to find a legitimate, non-P2P replacement for that.

What I'm looking for is anyone with knowledge of a legal alternative to Setanta-i - in other words, an online service that shows European football games in the US. Or, alternately, an online service in the UK or mainland Europe that provides me with the same thing,

However, given the content and quality of the responses so far, I believe I'll look elsewhere.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:29 pm
Remainer

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingone View Post
Captain Hook, you're correct - I did not supply enough information (although you're not very diplomatic with your GIGO comment.)

I live in the United States and can VPN to a server in the UK. As my original post implied, I am currently using Setanta-i to watch football online (NOT a P2P site) but Setanta-i ceases to transmit on February 28. I have not been able to find a legitimate, non-P2P replacement for that.

What I'm looking for is anyone with knowledge of a legal alternative to Setanta-i - in other words, an online service that shows European football games in the US. Or, alternately, an online service in the UK or mainland Europe that provides me with the same thing,

However, given the content and quality of the responses so far, I believe I'll look elsewhere.
Being diplomatic wasn't my intention.

A quick Google search brings this up in the first 10 results http://www.epltalk.com/what-will-hap...etanta-i/15784

Setanta-i is owned by Setanta, but just because Setanta US is going out of business, it doesn’t mean that Setanta-i will bite the dust either. There are still regional Setanta divisions in operation around the world including Setanta Ireland, Setanta Canada and Setanta Australia.

The best way to think of Setanta-i is as a content platform. When Setanta US shuts its doors at the end of February 28, Setanta-i will no longer stream Setanta US content because the channel will not exist.

According to that, you'll still get UK soccer, you just won't get any US sports after Feb 28th.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 18th 2010 at 1:34 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Being diplomatic wasn't my intention.

A quick Google search brings this up in the first 10 results http://www.epltalk.com/what-will-hap...etanta-i/15784

Setanta-i is owned by Setanta, but just because Setanta US is going out of business, it doesn’t mean that Setanta-i will bite the dust either. There are still regional Setanta divisions in operation around the world including Setanta Ireland, Setanta Canada and Setanta Australia.

The best way to think of Setanta-i is as a content platform. When Setanta US shuts its doors at the end of February 28, Setanta-i will no longer stream Setanta US content because the channel will not exist.

According to that, you'll still get UK soccer, you just won't get any US sports after Feb 28th.
For anyone else who shared my situation - and to save them from the 'helpful' replies I was honored with - here's an update.

Setanta-i no longer operates in the United States and other online Setanta services require an ip address in the country served by the online service.

However, Fox Soccer Network has restarted its foxsoccer.tv service which pretty-much mirrors the content that was available on Setanta-i.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

philsoc is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you were saying no p2p - but with some of the options (not justintv, etc. - more like Veetle, Sopcastç tvu) the quality is quite good. In fact there are times when I want to catch an Arsenal match that was on Setanta (can't pay $14/mo for 1 or 2 games, the wife would kill me!) or a bit of cricket - I just hook my laptop up to my tv with an hdmi cable and it comes through fine... a little blurry on some graphics but if your sitting back like normal, it's hard to notice.

Check out myp2p.eu and look under software.

Phil
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:47 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

FOX SOCCER CHANNEL!

Maybe.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

http://atdhe.net/

I watch all the English football here.