Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Liverpool facing relegation dogfight?

Liverpool facing relegation dogfight?

Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liverpool facing relegation dogfight?

Originally Posted by Maria_747 View Post
Thats true, also the Nottingham Forrest fans were given the Spion Kop end of 21,000 capacity but there were considerably less fans compared to Liverpool who were given the Leppings lane end which only held 14,000 people,
Originally Posted by mport343 View Post
And as for the masses of ticketless fans you mention,thats not true mate, a minority of the crowd did turn up without 1 but they were still on sale at the anfield ticket office the day before the match and many were led to believe there were still tickets to be sold on the day at the ground,
how can you use the excuse that you weren't given the biggest capacity if your fellow there uses the excuse that you didn't sell your alloted allocation?

its just excuses....... and my prejudices as I said are from what I saw.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
how can you use the excuse that you weren't given the biggest capacity if your fellow there uses the excuse that you didn't sell your alloted allocation?

its just excuses....... and my prejudices as I said are from what I saw.
What you see and what people experience, don't usually match up.

The reason fans of all clubs paid tributes to those who died at Hillsborough is because many of them, particularly those who used to have large travelling support, had probably been in very similar situations. I've personally been in some pretty scary situations around that time, situations that wouldn't have taken much more to have turned them into incidents like Hillsborough.

Did the Liverpool fans contribute to the incident... well of course they did... but no more than the fans of many other clubs might have done.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Did the Liverpool fans contribute to the incident... well of course they did... but no more than the fans of many other clubs might have done.
And that's exactly my point.

Rangers fans contributed to the Ibrox disaster.
trouble is, they accepted their part in a stampede and the club accepted their part of a dangerous stairway 13.

They just made sure it never happened again.

Hence my stance that Liverpool fans will not accept ANY responsibility for the Hillsborough events, continue to play the victims, and want justice for something they had a hand in.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

trouble is, they accepted their part in a stampede and the club accepted their part of a dangerous stairway 13.

Hence my stance that Liverpool fans will not accept ANY responsibility for the Hillsborough events, continue to play the victims, and want justice for something they had a hand in.
There's some validity in that.

Liverpool, as a city, has been accused of having a 'victim mentality' and there's is definitely some truth in that accusation.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:39 pm
@matthewb76

Liverpool, as a city, has been accused of having a 'victim mentality' and there's is definitely some truth in that accusation.
I think so too.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:00 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:
Well at least Kenny can concentrate on the league now
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Every "hooligan" fan across the country needs to accept some of the blame (including Liverpool ) , not that the fans who died were necessarily causing trouble but the atmosphere in grounds in 80's was terrible from a safety perspective. Crowds were fenced in to avoid them fighting each other. Theres lots of blame but ultimately and reading what I have - the majority has to rest with piss poor policing
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by ray1968 View Post
Every "hooligan" fan across the country needs to accept some of the blame (including Liverpool )
I accept that too.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ray1968 View Post
Every "hooligan" fan across the country needs to accept some of the blame (including Liverpool ) , not that the fans who died were necessarily causing trouble but the atmosphere in grounds in 80's was terrible from a safety perspective. Crowds were fenced in to avoid them fighting each other. Theres lots of blame but ultimately and reading what I have - the majority has to rest with piss poor policing
I don't know if you ever went to any of the grounds in that era, but to describe many of them as a shit-tip would be doing them a favour. I stood on many an open terrace, in the pissing down rain or snow, in the full knowledge that most clubs didn't give a toss for their fans. I think many clubs actually saw their fans as an inconvience that they had to endure.
If Hillsborough and Bradford achieved anything it was a sea change in the way fans were treated. It was something that was long overdue.

Having said that, I still think the terraces should make a return. All seat stadiums are crap, and the Bundesliga has shown that you can have safe, and importantly, reasonably priced terracing.

Long term, without a return to cheap terracing, I think the game is real trouble. This paragraph from the Telegraph, from 2008, makes interesting reading.

"In 1968 the average age of fans standing in the Stretford End was 17. The cost of admission for under-16s was eight shillings (40p). Forty years on, the average age of fans sitting in the Stretford End is over 40. And the ticket price is £33 (£16.50 for under-16s, which is more than three times the relative cost of the 1967 entrance fee, allowing for inflation). The social revolution that has engulfed English football over the past four decades has resulted in the game turning middle aged."
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:11 pm
@matthewb76

and the Bundesliga has shown that you can have safe, and importantly, reasonably priced terracing.
League 1 has shown you can have it too........

there is plenty of football in the UK with terracing.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:53 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you ever went to any of the grounds in that era, but to describe many of them as a shit-tip would be doing them a favour.
Looking back I can hardly believe people put up with it. A guy with a huge knife trying to get on the bus in Manchester. The piss down the back of your leg. The bricks thought the windows on the train. The piss dropping from above at QPR. Being squashed up against the barriers. The swamp like toilets running with piss. Being kept behind for ever at Millwall. The piss. The sexism. More piss. The racism. Pubs ransacked.

But, as a kid, what did I fear? not having enough money for the Kop and having to go in the Boys Pen, that medieval pit that must have been the real inspiration for Lord of the Flies.

Anyway, I am relieved, one nil loss, feels like a let off, that's how far they have fallen. I feel relieved.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:59 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Well King Kenny's certainly turning things round, eh?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:38 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
How long until the fans turn on him?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:33 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
apparently he wants "to knock Sunderland off their fucking perch"
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:32 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I will not say this is good, but it isnt bad.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.