Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Le Tour De Farce

Le Tour De Farce

Old Jul 9th 2006, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all
Default Re: Le Tour De Farce

Seriously - Floyd Landis seems to be the contender for the moment...
since Hincapie messed up his TT yesterday, what's the matter George?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 1:31 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karunia
Seriously - Floyd Landis seems to be the contender for the moment...
since Hincapie messed up his TT yesterday, what's the matter George?
You're right about the mountains, of course, but you still get feelings early on. I'm looking at Kloeden and Landis, but Savoldelli shouldn't be discounted. I don't reckon Hincapie will win (famous last words ) but I do reckon McKewen will be in green....he won another bunch sprint yesterday and seems to be unstoppable
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Yeah you're right about McEwen, he does seem unstoppable, a notch above the rest. I wish the French commentators and others could say his name properly, for years they have called him something like Mackywhen - irritating.
Still, they also used to say Greg Lemmon... Maybe I'm just being precious here.
Can't wait for the first Pyrenees stage on Wednesday. Apparently, Honchar canclimb too?
Here in France, they have live coverage for the whole stage, starting at 10am or so... a treat. Especially if you like to look at the scenery as well.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:36 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you're right about McEwen, he does seem unstoppable, a notch above the rest. I wish the French commentators and others could say his name properly, for years they have called him something like Mackywhen - irritating.
Still, they also used to say Greg Lemmon... Maybe I'm just being precious here.
Can't wait for the first Pyrenees stage on Wednesday. Apparently, Honchar canclimb too?
Here in France, they have live coverage for the whole stage, starting at 10am or so... a treat. Especially if you like to look at the scenery as well.
Yep, this tour needs some mountains to bring some real pain I hate stages like today's one....short, flat stages Oh well, one more for the sprinters....
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, today's stage IS really boring. But I just read that Floyd Landis is to have his right hip replaced just after the Tour - he'd kept it quiet, but is in pain all the time, had had several ops, neck of femur is necrosed - blood not flowing properly etc.. since he'd broken his hip during training... that's probably why he has this weird position durint T.T., can't have his knees touching his chest.
I can't believe that he would still be a contender for yellow in Paris with all that. And I would have thought that his climbing abilities will be affected.
Now that would be something, if he managed to win the Tour with a wonky hip!!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:01 pm
Take it easy

Yes, today's stage IS really boring. But I just read that Floyd Landis is to have his right hip replaced just after the Tour - he'd kept it quiet, but is in pain all the time, had had several ops, neck of femur is necrosed - blood not flowing properly etc.. since he'd broken his hip during training... that's probably why he has this weird position durint T.T., can't have his knees touching his chest.
I can't believe that he would still be a contender for yellow in Paris with all that. And I would have thought that his climbing abilities will be affected.
Now that would be something, if he managed to win the Tour with a wonky hip!!!
I read an article about that on the BBC's sport website. Today's stage looks to be sorting them out....Mercado has blown the field away
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:47 am
Take it easy

Wow, what a stage
This tour is better without the big guns in it....no one feels too daunted to try to win the whole thing. Today's stage is going to be great. Wonder if Dessel will be blown away today?
Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:22 pm
Take it easy

I take my hat off to Floyd Landis. Yesterday he rode like a Tour winner
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I take my hat off to Floyd Landis. Yesterday he rode like a Tour winner
Yes he did. And you should have seen the interview he gave after - incredibly modest, and he apologised for taking the yellow jersey from the French guy who was only 8' from keeping it and was particularly keen to wear yellow on July 14th... he was incredibly modest and shy and unassuming, such a contrast to the French riders who tend to self-congratulate on and on, saying how "courageous" they are, and such drivel.
Today Popovych, the only survivor (almost) from the Discovery team, takes the stage, so that's another american on the podium (although he is Ukrainian and speaks in Italian (!) ). I wait to see what the French will make of it: they cannot possibly hate Landis as he is so different from Armstrong, could not possibly say he is arrogant -- but I an pretty sure that they cringe every time it is another "American" who is in the limelight.
Landis does look good for the rest of the Tour. Now we have to wait for the Alps.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:08 pm
Take it easy

Yes he did. And you should have seen the interview he gave after - incredibly modest, and he apologised for taking the yellow jersey from the French guy who was only 8' from keeping it and was particularly keen to wear yellow on July 14th... he was incredibly modest and shy and unassuming, such a contrast to the French riders who tend to self-congratulate on and on, saying how "courageous" they are, and such drivel.
Today Popovych, the only survivor (almost) from the Discovery team, takes the stage, so that's another american on the podium (although he is Ukrainian and speaks in Italian (!) ). I wait to see what the French will make of it: they cannot possibly hate Landis as he is so different from Armstrong, could not possibly say he is arrogant -- but I an pretty sure that they cringe every time it is another "American" who is in the limelight.
Landis does look good for the rest of the Tour. Now we have to wait for the Alps.
Thanks for that insight How are the Discovery Team getting covered by the French press?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that insight How are the Discovery Team getting covered by the French press?
Coverage of Discovery is hard for the French press, as they (Discovery) more or less refuse to speak to them, especially to l'Equipe, the sports paper that started all the doping scandal re.Lance. So there is a lot of speculation, and some glee since it is clear that Discovery is in disarray, nothing like when there was the Big Boss. Nobody has said so openly, but I wonder if they don't think that perhaps Lance was the one who bought them the best drugs and now that he is not there anymore....(this is a highly personal cynical bit of speculation on my part)
The French Press on the whole does not miss any occasion to slag off Armstrong in all possible ways (he has more enemies than friends here!). As he is supposed to make an appearance next week during the Alps, there is some trepidation about whether he will speak to the press. Personally again, I don't see why he should, since they would only try to find better ways to lay into him.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:23 pm
Take it easy

Coverage of Discovery is hard for the French press, as they (Discovery) more or less refuse to speak to them, especially to l'Equipe, the sports paper that started all the doping scandal re.Lance. So there is a lot of speculation, and some glee since it is clear that Discovery is in disarray, nothing like when there was the Big Boss. Nobody has said so openly, but I wonder if they don't think that perhaps Lance was the one who bought them the best drugs and now that he is not there anymore....(this is a highly personal cynical bit of speculation on my part)
The French Press on the whole does not miss any occasion to slag off Armstrong in all possible ways (he has more enemies than friends here!). As he is supposed to make an appearance next week during the Alps, there is some trepidation about whether he will speak to the press. Personally again, I don't see why he should, since they would only try to find better ways to lay into him.
A shame that a sport should not celebrate its heroes. Then again, I'm sure cycling isn't unique in this respect. I suppose the press will not be happy until the Tour has a French winner agin, but that may be a long time coming.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:24 pm
Take it easy

What a great race, loads of up's and down's and incident but all of it related to the race and not drugs. Landis was impressive except for one day, and congrats to Robbie McKewen for another green jersey Rasmussen also was a worthy jersey winner so all-in-all it worked out pretty well.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

What a great race, loads of up's and down's and incident but all of it related to the race and not drugs. Landis was impressive except for one day, and congrats to Robbie McKewen for another green jersey Rasmussen also was a worthy jersey winner so all-in-all it worked out pretty well.
I totally agree with you Shakmaty - such a great race this year, and maybe Landis having blown for one day, then making up for his 8 minutes the next day+, made it all the more spectacular. He's also a cool guy, always apologizing (which the French are not at all used to, in fact, although it is the 11th American win in 20 years for the Tour, the French now don't know what to make of Landis - as he comes across so different from Armstrong, and so does not fit the stereotype). McEwen was most impressive too, throughout, even (perhaps even mostly) at the end of the Alps stages, as the leader of the gruppetto, when they all arrive just within delays, and Robbie looked pale and grey and worn-out, but still very much all there!!!
I find it totally impressive the way the sprinters manage to climb those awesome mountains... yes overall it was pretty cool, all those who deserve to win did... and yes you are also right to assume that the French won't be happy until another French guy wins...will it be another 20 years?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:23 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.