Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Jackson's Take

Jackson's Take

Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:33 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jackson's Take

Interesting article by Colin Jackson in today's Indie on the failure of the men's athletic team to win any medals at all

http://sport.independent.co.uk/olymp...p?story=555100

Basically they don't prepare properly (lazy then, allegedly) and spend their money from the lottery on bling-bling, CDs etc (allegedly). Wow, might put a few noses's out of joint !
Old Aug 26th 2004, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jackson's Take

Originally Posted by Tone
Interesting article by Colin Jackson in today's Indie on the failure of the men's athletic team to win any medals at all

http://sport.independent.co.uk/olymp...p?story=555100

Basically they don't prepare properly (lazy then, allegedly) and spend their money from the lottery on bling-bling, CDs etc (allegedly). Wow, might put a few noses's out of joint !
It's probably quite true in some respects...
Old Aug 26th 2004, 5:31 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

'Have you done your beach work?'

'Yes! I've made a sand castle, been for a paddle and now I'm going for a piss in the dunes'
Old Aug 26th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
'Have you done your beach work?'

'Yes! I've made a sand castle, been for a paddle and now I'm going for a piss in the dunes'

Until I read the article I thought he was talking about Merthyr Mawr training (running up sand dunes- ouch). Colin Jackson- superb athlete that he was- didn't exactly win Olympics himself for all his training- which I don't doubt... I know how hard he trained. But he has a valid point about the injuries- hamstrings shouldn't happen.
He also said but in a different breath on the BBC (about paula R's pull out) that he doesn't think it is possible to train for the conditions the marathon was run in.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Until I read the article I thought he was talking about Merthyr Mawr training (running up sand dunes- ouch). Colin Jackson- superb athlete that he was- didn't exactly win Olympics himself for all his training- which I don't doubt... I know how hard he trained. But he has a valid point about the injuries- hamstrings shouldn't happen.
He also said but in a different breath on the BBC (about paula R's pull out) that he doesn't think it is possible to train for the conditions the marathon was run in.
Well he did win lot of other world competitions, and injuries didn't help him with olympics...
and the marathon, it isn't easy climatizing to those conditions in the UK, would really need to live in those conditions for a while really to have an edge, so guess he makes a good point... 35C...that's hot stuff
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well he did win lot of other world competitions, and injuries didn't help him with olympics...
and the marathon, it isn't easy climatizing to those conditions in the UK, would really need to live in those conditions for a while really to have an edge, so guess he makes a good point... 35C...that's hot stuff
Yeah I'm not knocking his ability- Cardiff AC man - he was brilliant but didn't get the big one. He's having a personal fight with Cambell it seems.

It got up to 41C on the day of the marathon didn't it?- cooled off a bit now, thankfully. I think you'd need to live in those conditions for years- for your blood to change for one thing. Just training in similar conditions doesn't seem to cut it for most of our athletes, not just Paula.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It got up to 41C on the day of the marathon didn't it?- cooled off a bit now, thankfully. I think you'd need to live in those conditions for years- for your blood to change for one thing. Just training in similar conditions doesn't seem to cut it for most of our athletes, not just Paula.
Ain't that the truth....but it's unlikely that athletes will get the money to live in say california where it's hot and with some altitude for that kinda training....big shame really
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:51 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ain't that the truth....but it's unlikely that athletes will get the money to live in say california where it's hot and with some altitude for that kinda training....big shame really
Paula Radcliffe trains in New Mexico
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Manc
Paula Radcliffe trains in New Mexico
Fair enough, then she bottled it
but training still isn't the same as living there, though for the marathon, I think Bolivia would be a good place....nice and high and all that
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Fair enough, then she bottled it
but training still isn't the same as living there, though for the marathon, I think Bolivia would be a good place....nice and high and all that

or being born and bred there- can't thin the blood in 3 monthly training sessions. I've been in Florida 12 years and I'm still waiting to acclimatise - I overheat just peeling the spuds in summer here.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 3:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

or being born and bred there- can't thin the blood in 3 monthly training sessions. I've been in Florida 12 years and I'm still waiting to acclimatise - I overheat just peeling the spuds in summer here.
Jubbly
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Jubbly
while we're on the subject

Britain's Amir Khan could become the youngest Olympic boxing champion in 52 years after assuring himself of at least a lightweight silver medal.

The lad from Bolton doing alright.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:28 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
while we're on the subject

Britain's Amir Khan could become the youngest Olympic boxing champion in 52 years after assuring himself of at least a lightweight silver medal.

The lad from Bolton doing alright.
I agree Manc, the boy can fight, I reckon a gold and only 17.

On the Jackson article a load of prima donnas and bling bling money grabbers from the lottery except for Dean Macey who has in my opinion got a bit of bottle especially after all those injuries he's had.

Walla
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by walla1
I agree Manc, the boy can fight, I reckon a gold and only 17.

On the Jackson article a load of prima donnas and bling bling money grabbers from the lottery except for Dean Macey who has in my opinion got a bit of bottle especially after all those injuries he's had.

Walla
I agree with you there...would be nice to see him get gold too
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:33 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

My Gran used to baby-sit Colin Jackson. Small world.

Campbell has got alot of peoples noses out of joint - alot of his peers accuse him of being arrogant without the results to show for it. Shit footballer too by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.