British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   Hooligans? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/hooligans-261832/)

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 4:23 pm

Hooligans?
 
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...239652,00.html

" Ministers are claiming that a crackdown on football hooliganism is proving a success...."

Is it really still such a big problem or just more publicity for the governement?

wmoore Oct 23rd 2004 4:27 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...239652,00.html

" Ministers are claiming that a crackdown on football hooliganism is proving a success...."

Is it really still such a big problem or just more publicity for the governement?

Just publicity I reckon. Haven't seen any trouble at a game for years.

Deadmeat Oct 23rd 2004 4:29 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...239652,00.html

" Ministers are claiming that a crackdown on football hooliganism is proving a success...."

Is it really still such a big problem or just more publicity for the governement?

The hooligans are being priced out of going to the games, it's cheaper to go abroad and terrorise a resort than it is to go to the football these days.

It's just the government making the most of some positive news. Clamp down on the "hooligans" while gun crime rises at an alarming rate ... great.

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 5:13 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
It's just the government making the most of some positive news. Clamp down on the "hooligans" while gun crime rises at an alarming rate ... great.

Aye, takes the heat off the iraq thing, and blackwatch...

Doesn't seem to be such a problem here either, but then it's weird how sporting fans aren't seperated, and being allowed to have booze at the seats was a little odd...but the fans are no where near as rude as the fans back home at the footie matches :D
always good for a laugh that

Deadmeat Oct 23rd 2004 5:22 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, takes the heat off the iraq thing, and blackwatch...

Doesn't seem to be such a problem here either, but then it's weird how sporting fans aren't seperated, and being allowed to have booze at the seats was a little odd...but the fans are no where near as rude as the fans back home at the footie matches :D
always good for a laugh that

It's a bit more of a franchise thing there though isn't it? People tend to be born into their club here with all the rivalry, history and the moronic "we hate the Swindon" nonsense that goes with it.

Not saying that US fans are less passionate about sport but it might run a bit deeper in the UK and hence the increased tensions.

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 5:44 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
It's a bit more of a franchise thing there though isn't it? People tend to be born into their club here with all the rivalry, history and the moronic "we hate the Swindon" nonsense that goes with it.

Not saying that US fans are less passionate about sport but it might run a bit deeper in the UK and hence the increased tensions.

Yeah, well everyone can hate Swindon, it's a dump hole :D and the club *l*

And there is massive rivarly here, look at the red sox v yankee fans :D
But there isn't really the whole local derby culture as there usually aren't that many big teams that local...
and the games do tend to be very family orientated, wierd that you can be front row, and be drinking booze and some guy will be running around taking orders for food and drink....and also having mixed fans...very weird when up at expos' stadium, don't know why, but there was a yankees fan, he had a fun time of it, sitting in a stadium that was pretty much filled with sox fans, and hardly anyone else to back him up, shame about the expos having to move...hmmmm....
Also doesnt ' appear like there's a huge police presence, well like there is in blighty, only real big match other than the local games i've been to were England v Holland so who knows...

sibsie Oct 23rd 2004 8:12 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 
I think the police in Boston went totally OTT last week. Did you hear if they'd banned booze in bars round Fenway?

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 8:43 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by sibsie
I think the police in Boston went totally OTT last week. Did you hear if they'd banned booze in bars round Fenway?

Naa...to be honest, haven't heard a thing, but then again, weren't looking at the "local" news...bad was it? *l*

slowmacro Oct 23rd 2004 9:19 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 
my uncle is a well bad hooligan....
me and my mum went to the pub with him wen west ham were playing and they lost. and he was throwing chairs.... wen he went outside my mum sent me outside to calm him down, she said he wont hurt me and he will listen to me....... he did sort of... after he punched me on the arm. (playfully but roughly......lol...)

monkey girl
x

sibsie Oct 23rd 2004 10:22 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Naa...to be honest, haven't heard a thing, but then again, weren't looking at the "local" news...bad was it? *l*

Well the police were firing those plastic pepper bullets and killed a college girl when the bullet hit her in the face. There were a few rowdy teenagers rampaging but the police over reacted (In my opinion.)

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 10:37 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by sibsie
Well the police were firing those plastic pepper bullets and killed a college girl when the bullet hit her in the face. There were a few rowdy teenagers rampaging but the police over reacted (In my opinion.)

Sounds like it...they need to go see a milwall game *l*

HiddenPaw Oct 23rd 2004 10:42 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...239652,00.html

" Ministers are claiming that a crackdown on football hooliganism is proving a success...."

Is it really still such a big problem or just more publicity for the governement?

The UK's reputation for hooliganism seems to still be elevated way above that of any other footballing nation, yet in terms of violence and serious injury/death at football matches, Italy and Spain are now probably streets ahead of the UK (OK, that's the impression I get from the media). There have been a number of deaths at games in these countries in the last couple of years, and countless riots.

When husband has been working away, I've quite happily used his season ticket and gone and sat in the Kop on my own and watched Liverpool...and I'm just a wee girlie! Have never felt threatened or unsafe. The guy who sits in the seat next to me apologises to me every time he swears at the ref! Talk about polite!

sibsie Oct 23rd 2004 10:51 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Sounds like it...they need to go see a milwall game *l*

Amen sis Bob. My friend here has tickets to ALL the Sox' home games thanks to her sis shagging the vice chairman. Everyone today has been calling her up telling her to be careful and stay safe! Total overkill as usual from the Americans. :zzz:

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 10:58 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
The UK's reputation for hooliganism seems to still be elevated way above that of any other footballing nation, yet in terms of violence and serious injury/death at football matches, Italy and Spain are now probably streets ahead of the UK (OK, that's the impression I get from the media). There have been a number of deaths at games in these countries in the last couple of years, and countless riots.

When husband has been working away, I've quite happily used his season ticket and gone and sat in the Kop on my own and watched Liverpool...and I'm just a wee girlie! Have never felt threatened or unsafe. The guy who sits in the seat next to me apologises to me every time he swears at the ref! Talk about polite!

Never mind Turkey and the like...
We do get a bad image...but then fan's can be fun...certainly miss the footie chants, gotta love 'em :)

Bob Oct 23rd 2004 10:59 pm

Re: Hooligans?
 

Originally Posted by sibsie
... Everyone today has been calling her up telling her to be careful and stay safe! Total overkill as usual from the Americans. :zzz:

yeah, so she don't mess up a good thing and lose the tickets no less...lucky git :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.