Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Holland's first gold medal NOT on the ice!

Holland's first gold medal NOT on the ice!

Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holland's first gold medal NOT on the ice!

Nicolien Sauerbreij, 30, of the Netherlands won the gold medal at the women's parallel giant slalom (snowboarding). Not bad for someone from a country with not even one single mountain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...ng/8540138.stm
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holland's first gold medal NOT on the ice!

Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
Nicolien Sauerbreij, 30, of the Netherlands won the gold medal at the women's parallel giant slalom (snowboarding). Not bad for someone from a country with not even one single mountain.

Good for her.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:22 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is a bit of a hill just outside of Oosterbeek.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303 View Post
Well there is a bit of a hill just outside of Oosterbeek.
Kent is hillier (is that a word?) than any part of the Netherlands, yet I don't think that Kent is known for its winter sports, is it?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:38 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Kent is hillier (is that a word?) than any part of the Netherlands, yet I don't think that Kent is known for its winter sports, is it?
I only said a bit of a hill, it's more like a gradual slope up to the cafe at the top.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, and this was also the 100th Olympics gold medal for the Netherlands in total (Summer and Winter combined).
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I only said a bit of a hill, it's more like a gradual slope up to the cafe at the top.
Better to have a cafe/pub at the top of the hill than at the bottom. Makes walking home so much easier!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:45 am

Oh, and this was also the 100th Olympics gold medal for the Netherlands in total (Summer and Winter combined).
Just finished watching the Gold medal runs. She wasn't the fastest boarder on either run but she was the better, most consistent and accurate of all.

The all round better boarder and the Gold reflected that. She definitely deserved to win the most.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just finished watching the Gold medal runs. She wasn't the fastest boarder on either run but she was the better, most consistent and accurate of all.

The all round better boarder and the Gold reflected that. She definitely deserved to win the most.
I don't have a tv, I get most of my news from online newspapers and BE. But yeah, that pretty much sums up what I read. Conditions were horrible and Sauerbreij was lucky enough to remain standing in all 10 runs. A lot of the favorites got to see the slush (can't call it snow anymore after all that rain) from a lot closer than they wished.