Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Hockey: Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore and the World Juniors

Hockey: Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore and the World Juniors

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:41 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hockey: Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore and the World Juniors

Didn't want to make a couple of threads so I'm lumping this all here.

Firstly, looks like Bert has got off with the criminal end of things for breaking Steve Moore's neck by pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm. Although it looks that Moore is now going to sue him in the civil court for (what looks like) ending his career.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=108915&hubName=nhl

Moore's victim impact statement: (a bit over the top IMO)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=109008

Unbloodybelievable that a player can go out and break someones neck on live TV, probably end a career and no forgiveness from the victim and get 80 hours commnity service whilst another (Danny Heatley) can kill his best friend in a road traffic accident, have complete forgiveness from the family and acknowledgement that it was an accident and be facing 1-15 years in jail.

Anyways on a lighter note, anyone watching the World Junior Hockey Championship that starts on Xmas day? I've watched the 2 Canadian pre tournament friendlies 11-0 in 2 games against the Finn and Swiss.

Three to watch Sidney Crosby, Mike Richards and Dion Phaneuf (D) for Canada.

Canada beats USA/Russia in the final.

Last edited by Iginla; Dec 23rd 2004 at 9:43 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 1:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hockey: Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore and the World Juniors

Originally Posted by Iginla
Didn't want to make a couple of threads so I'm lumping this all here.

Firstly, looks like Bert has got off with the criminal end of things for breaking Steve Moore's neck by pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm. Although it looks that Moore is now going to sue him in the civil court for (what looks like) ending his career.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=108915&hubName=nhl

Moore's victim impact statement: (a bit over the top IMO)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=109008

Unbloodybelievable that a player can go out and break someones neck on live TV, probably end a career and no forgiveness from the victim and get 80 hours commnity service whilst another (Danny Heatley) can kill his best friend in a road traffic accident, have complete forgiveness from the family and acknowledgement that it was an accident and be facing 1-15 years in jail.

Anyways on a lighter note, anyone watching the World Junior Hockey Championship that starts on Xmas day? I've watched the 2 Canadian pre tournament friendlies 11-0 in 2 games against the Finn and Swiss.

Three to watch Sidney Crosby, Mike Richards and Dion Phaneuf (D) for Canada.

Canada beats USA/Russia in the final.
Bertuzzi meant bodily harm on Moore because he's a ****ing thug.

Heatley didn't mean to kill anyone and therefore it is just a sad sad situation all around.
Old Dec 25th 2004, 3:41 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Bertuzzi meant bodily harm on Moore because he's a ****ing thug.

Heatley didn't mean to kill anyone and therefore it is just a sad sad situation all around.
Totally agree. Bertuzzi's press statement after the incident was sickening.

"Steve, I never meant to hurt you"

Well you weren't exactly asking him the bloody time when you were smashing his face in and shoving his head into the ice.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

I think Bertuzzi was wrong in going after Moore like that, but you know he didn't intend to hurt him that badly. I mean, yeah he was pissed at him, and didn't think straight, but I'm pretty sure he didn't intend to crack his neck...

Also, why would the Granato put him out there on the ice with Bertuzzi without protection from Worrall? And Moore should have turned around at least after Bertuzzi pulled on his jersey five times. I'm not blaming Moore, but I don't blame Bertuzzi alone. I think the Avs coach Granato, as well as Moore's teamates who jumped on top of Moore and Bertuzzi after the sucker punch are partially at fault for the injuries that Moore incurred as a result.

Now he's suing Bertuzzi for money... no surprise there....
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:14 pm
Deep in the red C.

[QUOTE=canucker]Also, why would the Granato put him out there on the ice with Bertuzzi without protection from Worrall? QUOTE]

errrmm, to play hockey. Are coaches and players supposed to be intimidated by threats by opposing players? Are you saying that Colorado's team and line selection should be dictated by the Canucks threats?

Originally Posted by canucker
And Moore should have turned around at least after Bertuzzi pulled on his jersey five times.
Why? He didn't want to fight with someone quite a few pounds heavier than him. Quite simple really.

I think the Avs coach Granato, as well as Moore's teamates who jumped on top of Moore and Bertuzzi after the sucker punch are partially at fault for the injuries that Moore incurred as a result.
Why? For not giving into intimidation and trying to protect their team-mate as Bertuzzi was winding up to have another shot at him on the ice. The fact of the matter is that player threats should not dictate another teams player or line selection.

Now he's suing Bertuzzi for money... no surprise there....
Nope, no surprise. His career has been ended by a thug (with a history of thuggery). I'm betting you would do the same.

What I don't agree with is him naming the Canucks organisation in the whole thing.

The question is why didn't the Canucks sort the matter out the immediate game after the incident in Colorado?

The simple take home message is that if you're going to take retribution you're better shutting your mouth about it. Statements like "Steve Moore's a dead man" suggest premeditation.

For anyone that's wondering what I'm on about the video is in the third column down.

http://www.justwide.com/categorylist_html?cat_id=6
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

Why? He didn't want to fight with someone quite a few pounds heavier than him. Quite simple really.

Why? For not giving into intimidation and trying to protect their team-mate as Bertuzzi was winding up to have another shot at him on the ice. The fact of the matter is that player threats should not dictate another teams player or line selection.

Nope, no surprise. His career has been ended by a thug (with a history of thuggery). I'm betting you would do the same.

What I don't agree with is him naming the Canucks organisation in the whole thing.

The question is why didn't the Canucks sort the matter out the immediate game after the incident in Colorado?

The simple take home message is that if you're going to take retribution you're better shutting your mouth about it. Statements like "Steve Moore's a dead man" suggest premeditation.

For anyone that's wondering what I'm on about the video is in the third column down.

http://www.justwide.com/categorylist_html?cat_id=6
The Canucks organization wouldn't have been able to sort it all out immediately after the incident because the lawyers were already involved. They probably chased the ambulance from GM Place all the way to the hospital in Colorado.

Of course he didn't want to fight with "someone quite a few pounds heavier than him", and who would? But he had to know someone would go for him. And especially Granato, that's why Worrall should have been out there with him. Like it or not, that the type of code hockey players follow, and like it or not, Granato of all people knew that.

What Bertuzzi did was wrong. What May said about Moore to the press was wrong. That whole game was wrong. But everyone knew something was going to happen.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:04 am
Deep in the red C.

The Canucks organization wouldn't have been able to sort it all out immediately after the incident because the lawyers were already involved. They probably chased the ambulance from GM Place all the way to the hospital in Colorado.
I'm referring to the game after the original Naslund incident that started the whole mess when the two teams met in Colorado. Why wasn't the matter sorted out then? Why did the Canucks have to wait until they got back to Vancouver? Isn't it part of "the code" to sort these things out and lay them to rest at the next meeting of the teams?

Of course he didn't want to fight with "someone quite a few pounds heavier than him", and who would? But he had to know someone would go for him. And especially Granato, that's why Worrall should have been out there with him. Like it or not, that the type of code hockey players follow, and like it or not, Granato of all people knew that.
Yes, he had to know someone would go for him but I'm sure he was expecting a face to face fight. That's probably why he was on the ice to get it over and done with. If the fight had been fair the injuries would have been a hell of a lot less serious. Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't he already fought that night? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "type of code hockey players follow" to drop the gloves first and signal your intentions?

Why should Worrall been out there with him? The matter had nothing to do with him and "the type of code hockey players follow" is that it is a man on man, face to face fight until the refs step in. Worrall wouldn't have made a difference. Moore knew that, Worrall knew that, Granato knew that. Unfortunately no-one told Bert about the code.

But everyone knew something was going to happen.
....because the Canucks allowed it to be talked up therefore leaving themselves open to the libel suit they are in now.

Everyone including Moore knew something was going to happen. This is why he stepped out to follow the code. Unfortunately everyone didn't know that Bert either didn't know the code or would lose the plot.

Anyways, the whole incident could've been avoided if someone had bothered to teach Naslund that you keep your head up when skating through centre ice!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Why wasn't the matter sorted out then? Why did the Canucks have to wait until they got back to Vancouver?
At the time of the first game when Moore hit Naslund it was a close game and both teams were fighting for top spot in the northwest division. Nobody on the Canucks team wanted to retaliate at that point in fear that they would potentially blow the game by taking a bad penalty. Years ago issues like that were settled on the ice during the same game so it wouldn't carry over from game to game. Unfortunately the NHL has changed since then and stuff like this is brought into future games and bad incidents like this happen. Part of this problem is the instigator rule, IMO.

Yes, he had to know someone would go for him but I'm sure he was expecting a face to face fight. That's probably why he was on the ice to get it over and done with. If the fight had been fair the injuries would have been a hell of a lot less serious. Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't he already fought that night? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "type of code hockey players follow" to drop the gloves first and signal your intentions?
Yes, Moore did fight that night against Matt Cooke. However, Matt Cooke is one of the smallest guys on the Canucks and he isn't a very good fighter. Needless to say, Cooke didn't fair too well in the fight against Moore therefore the Canucks probably felt as though nothing was settled in that altercation. You must also keep in mind this game took place in Vancouver, the Canucks were embarrassed because they were getting blown out at home in an important game and sometimes emotions take over and cloud your mind of better judgement. I'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did, I'm just trying to explain the situation from a different point of view.

Why should Worrall been out there with him?
Worrell is the tough guy on the Colorado team. If Worrell was out on the ice with Steve Moore, Bertuzzi wouldn't have went anywhere near him. Worrell is one of the most feared players in the NHL. Worrell sat on the bench while Moore was out there and nobody was there to protect him. Moore should have been on the bench at the point in the game. The Avalanche had a big lead and there was no doubt they were going to win the game. Putting him out there that late in the game was a horrible coaching decision by Tony Granato and the Colorado Avalanche coaching staff.

Anyways, the whole incident could've been avoided if someone had bothered to teach Naslund that you keep your head up when skating through centre ice!
I understand your point. There are a lot of unwritten rules in hockey, and one of them is you don't take runs at the star players unless you are prepared to face the consequences. Clean hit or not, Moore took a run at Naslund and injured him. Hockey players have long memories and aren't going to forget that. Usually there are a few fights, and then it is over. Unfortuntately in this situation it didn't work out that way and a player got seriously injured and another player put a huge black eye on his reputation as a hockey player. Hopefully something like this doesn't happen again in the future.

Hockey gets a bad reputation for things like this happening but in reality usually the players are able to police themselves for the most part and there aren't any major problems like this. I'm sure everybody learned a few things from this unfortunate incident.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Bertuzzi will be playing here in Phoenix on the 19th for a charity event called "Hockey Night in Phoenix". It's all part of the new Phoenix Roadrunners re-birth. A few other NHL'ers will be there also and tickets are $12 and $25 dollars, so I may go.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Bertuzzi will be playing here in Phoenix on the 19th for a charity event called "Hockey Night in Phoenix". It's all part of the new Phoenix Roadrunners re-birth. A few other NHL'ers will be there also and tickets are $12 and $25 dollars, so I may go.

That's awesome. My guy is from Arizona (hopefully premanently here soon) and he's a little sad that after he left Arizona, they got the Roadrunners back. But he's sure getting his fill of hockey here.

We went to the Brad May Charity Game here in Vancouver and it was a lot of fun. Really worth the cause.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome. My guy is from Arizona (hopefully premanently here soon) and he's a little sad that after he left Arizona, they got the Roadrunners back. But he's sure getting his fill of hockey here.

We went to the Brad May Charity Game here in Vancouver and it was a lot of fun. Really worth the cause.
My wife has an original Roadrunners jersey signed by the most of the old team that played before the Coyotes hit town. She was known in the family as "Puck Bunny". lol
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

I've always hated that term. I don't consider myself a "puck bunny" but I can see why some people call other females that.