Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Formula 1 Thread

Formula 1 Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:43 pm
  #31  
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,231
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Benson
...Why not change the engine every race to ensure reliability and take the chance of being still able to put in a competative race?
Too expensive for the smaller/poorer teams which is why they put that rule in in the first place
Bob is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:27 am
  #32  
BE Enthusiast
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 513
Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Bob
Too expensive for the smaller/poorer teams which is why they put that rule in in the first place

Yeah I know, but if Kimi can do an engine change, take a 10 place penalty and still win. Why not change the engine everytime and take the risk. At least the chance of finshing will increase as Kimi had a few engine blowouts.

And if you don't finish you don't get anything.

Also I would of thought that having to make the engines more reliable / stronger would of cost the same if not more due to more testing, design and better matterials needed?
Benson is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:36 am
  #33  
Banned
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by antjen
are there enough F1 fans in here to get some light hearted debates/chat going?

Ant
In a word............. no
Lord Lionheart is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:55 am
  #34  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Benson
Also I would of thought that having to make the engines more reliable / stronger would of cost the same if not more due to more testing, design and better matterials needed?
I think they are making the engines stronger and more reliable by not stressing them so much and in effect lowering the power outputs.

To me that is a direct opposite of what F1 should be. F1 should be about always pushing the envelope. Colin Chapman said "The greatest F1 car ever made will be the one that falls to peices just as it goes over the finish line in first place". Basically saying that every single part should be stressed to capacity with just enough life to last the entire race.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:34 am
  #35  
BE Enthusiast
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 513
Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by rushman
I think they are making the engines stronger and more reliable by not stressing them so much and in effect lowering the power outputs.

To me that is a direct opposite of what F1 should be. F1 should be about always pushing the envelope. Colin Chapman said "The greatest F1 car ever made will be the one that falls to peices just as it goes over the finish line in first place". Basically saying that every single part should be stressed to capacity with just enough life to last the entire race.
Well I think they are pushing the envelope every year. They bring new rules in to slow cars down, try to increase over taking and the engineers & designers find some other way to over come the result of a rule change and make the car faster. I think the cars should go as fast as possible but I also think that you can get a boring race sometimes. Maybe do away with qualis and make the starting grid the opposite of the finshins positions of the last race. Ie 1 st place in the previous race then starts last on the grid in the next race. Could be interesting and make more over taking and better viewing.

What do you think? Or I am just daft?
Benson is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:09 pm
  #36  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Benson
Well I think they are pushing the envelope every year. They bring new rules in to slow cars down, try to increase over taking and the engineers & designers find some other way to over come the result of a rule change and make the car faster. I think the cars should go as fast as possible but I also think that you can get a boring race sometimes. Maybe do away with qualis and make the starting grid the opposite of the finshins positions of the last race. Ie 1 st place in the previous race then starts last on the grid in the next race. Could be interesting and make more over taking and better viewing.

What do you think? Or I am just daft?
There are numerous suggestions to make it more interesting, certainly a reverse grid would work. That would promote over taking for sure and all the teams having to work out completely new strategies would be interesting to watch.

I still maintain that starting the race with each car carrying enough fuel for the entire race would also help. The teams would then have to be more reliant on driver skills and their vehicles competetiveness than fuel stop strategies and over taking through the pits, which, let's face it, is bloody boring.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:30 am
  #37  
Just me!
Thread Starter
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by rushman
There are numerous suggestions to make it more interesting, certainly a reverse grid would work. That would promote over taking for sure and all the teams having to work out completely new strategies would be interesting to watch.

I still maintain that starting the race with each car carrying enough fuel for the entire race would also help. The teams would then have to be more reliant on driver skills and their vehicles competetiveness than fuel stop strategies and over taking through the pits, which, let's face it, is bloody boring.

hmmmm reverse grids are the same as weight penaltys, penalising someone for doing a good job!! - they wouldnt make a football team leading the championship play with less men, why should they handicap a team/driver for doing well - its the job of the others to catch up - thats what sport is all about

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:32 am
  #38  
Just me!
Thread Starter
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Benson
they have been trying do that for years with no real success, the rules change every year.

I think the A1 GP have a good format with two races. Also I like the boost idea. Althought I know the driver can up the revs in a F1 car for an overtaking manuover. Is the two race one engine rule still in force? I think that with the evidence of the Japanese GP. Were Kimi had an engine change and still won the race from starting way back in the field and using a very different stratedgy some what makes the rule useless. Why not change the engine every race to ensure reliability and take the chance of being still able to put in a competative race?
i like the idea of the boost thing, i think they currently use it in Champ cars and they call it 'push to pass' - it adds an element of strategy to the races as to when its best to use it.

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:27 am
  #39  
BE Enthusiast
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 513
Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by antjen
i like the idea of the boost thing, i think they currently use it in Champ cars and they call it 'push to pass' - it adds an element of strategy to the races as to when its best to use it.

Ant

As far as I know there is a similar strategy in F1. Not quite a button, but the engine revs are controled/limited so they don't blow the engine up. However the drivers can adjust this limit to what they want. If they need an extra couple of thousand rpm at a corner or straight to over take they can get it from the engine. Obviously not enough or there would be more overtaking.
Benson is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:32 am
  #40  
BE Enthusiast
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 513
Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by antjen
hmmmm reverse grids are the same as weight penaltys, penalising someone for doing a good job!! - they wouldnt make a football team leading the championship play with less men, why should they handicap a team/driver for doing well - its the job of the others to catch up - thats what sport is all about

Ant
true, this season I think was pretty close, I think reliabilty decided it really. But also I think the gap between the good and bad teams is widening and therefore you are only really watching half of the cars race for points really.
Benson is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:28 am
  #41  
Just me!
Thread Starter
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Benson
Maybe do away with qualis and make the starting grid the opposite of the finshins positions of the last race. Ie 1 st place in the previous race then starts last on the grid in the next race. Could be interesting and make more over taking and better viewing.

What do you think? Or I am just daft?

myself - just daft. to me its seems like an artifical way of stimulating the sport - it would definitly make for more interesting races for sure, but it detracts from the whole concept of - its up to the losers to catch the winners, rather than penalise people that are doing well - im just a purist!!

- personaly i think the rules werent too bad this year, we had some good races, best season in a long while!

as for the overtaking - it needs a serious re design of the cars so that they can run closer to each other without 'washing out' as soon as they get in the turbulant air of each other - the cars are far too dependant on aerodynamical grip it should have more emphasis on mechanical grip, like the re introduction of slick tyres, a wider track, re introduce ground effects etc etc



Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:30 am
  #42  
Just me!
Thread Starter
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Bob
Too expensive for the smaller/poorer teams which is why they put that rule in in the first place
yes F1 is ridiculously expensive, but it is meant to be the pinnicle of motor racing - i dont think they should go down the cost reduction route

- if you cant afford to play, get out!!

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:12 am
  #43  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by antjen
hmmmm reverse grids are the same as weight penaltys, penalising someone for doing a good job!! - they wouldnt make a football team leading the championship play with less men, why should they handicap a team/driver for doing well - its the job of the others to catch up - thats what sport is all about

Ant
I'm not advocating a reverse grid at allI merely stated that it would make it interesting. Equating it with taking players from championship winning team isnt fair either. Making them start a goal behind would be a more accurate comparision to a reverse grid.

I agree that it's the others job to catch up but catching up and then watching positions change because of pit strategy and not overtaking is just bloody boring.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:16 pm
  #44  
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,231
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by antjen
yes F1 is ridiculously expensive, but it is meant to be the pinnicle of motor racing - i dont think they should go down the cost reduction route

- if you cant afford to play, get out!!
would make it very boring then wouldn't it, because there would only be two or three manufacturers/teams that could afford to compete...
Bob is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:10 am
  #45  
Just me!
Thread Starter
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Formula 1 Thread

Originally Posted by Bob
would make it very boring then wouldn't it, because there would only be two or three manufacturers/teams that could afford to compete...

not really, as current teams leave, there will be others to take their place - F1 is meant to be hi tech - cutting edge technology, rather than some off the shelf one make series

Ant
antjen is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement