British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   Formula 1 Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/formula-1-thread-330665/)

antjen Oct 10th 2005 9:51 pm

Formula 1 Thread

are there enough F1 fans in here to get some light hearted debates/chat going?

Ant

Rushman Oct 11th 2005 6:06 am

Re: Formula 1 Thread

Got one here, even though I think it's been cack for the last 5 or 6 years. I guess I am still yearning for the glory days when cars actually passed each other on the track instead of the pits.

Bob Oct 11th 2005 6:51 am

there were a few....was a thread dribbling along with the topic for a while and kind of faded away this season...

antjen Oct 11th 2005 6:51 am

Originally Posted by rushman
Got one here, even though I think it's been cack for the last 5 or 6 years. I guess I am still yearning for the glory days when cars actually passed each other on the track instead of the pits.

well the japanesse gp certyainly provided plenty of overtaking and excitement!!!

Ant

Rushman Oct 11th 2005 7:19 am

Originally Posted by antjen
well the japanesse gp certyainly provided plenty of overtaking and excitement!!!

Ant

Dunno, I missed it. :mad: We "needed" to go shopping at Sams club because we only have a 30 ton dump truck full of washing powder left!!!! :confused:

I'm saying nothing else!! :mad:

antjen Oct 11th 2005 7:21 am

Dunno, I missed it. :mad: We "needed" to go shopping at Sams club because we only have a 30 ton dump truck full of washing powder left!!!! :confused:

I'm saying nothing else!! :mad:

well have a look out for re runs, it was a great race, an upside down grid, plenty of overtaking, an unpredictable result!!! - one of the best races in ages!

Ant

Bob Oct 11th 2005 5:42 pm

I've seen it around on a couple of torrent sites for download....

antjen Oct 12th 2005 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Bob
I've seen it around on a couple of torrent sites for download....

it probably wouldnt be a bad thing to download the torrent of (presumably) itv's coverage - as the commentary on speed channel sucks!!

Ant

Bob Oct 12th 2005 4:21 am

it probably wouldnt be a bad thing to download the torrent of (presumably) itv's coverage - as the commentary on speed channel sucks!!

http://www.mininova.org/tor/127157

700mb...

Desert Dweller Oct 12th 2005 6:14 am

are there enough F1 fans in here to get some light hearted debates/chat going?

Ant

So longf as wqe don't have the usual idiots coming in, saying "hi there, how're you?" and then the thread goes on for 9 pages with an inane conversation between 4 people!

Aaah, feel better now!

The Japan GP was, indeed, one of the best not only of this season but of the last few put together. The last few races have seen an increase in the amount of overtaking, lead changes etc. I'm not quite sure how he's managed it but Schumacher still seems to have held on for 3rd place! I know Montoya crashes out every time he gets a whiff of glory but I would have thought some of the other drivers, specifically Fisichella would have taken some more initiative.
I was hoping for more from Coulthard after he began strongly- Red Bull should be pretty happy with their position in their first season.

I'm looking forward to watching the new series, with Mansell and that lot racing matching cars- I hope it gets good coverage. It'll also be good to see some other tracks such as South Africa, Dubai etc.

Rushman Oct 12th 2005 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
I'm looking forward to watching the new series, with Mansell and that lot racing matching cars- I hope it gets good coverage. It'll also be good to see some other tracks such as South Africa, Dubai etc.

What new series with Mansell in it? Please give me all the info. I don't think F1 has been half as entertaining since the likes of Mansell, Senns and Prost departed. Would like to see if the old boy still has balls as big as coconuts. (not literally)

MJC Oct 12th 2005 7:07 am

Do you mean the A1 GP series www.a1gp.com now that's a great series, all the cars are the same, down to driver skill, not long races, download the races foc from their website etc. etc. and it's coming to Dubai (well it would, it's Sheik Maktoums's baby!! Incidentally it's John Surtees not Mansell who's the team principal - take a look at the website, it just shows how Ecclestone etal are so behind the times!!

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller

antjen Oct 16th 2005 9:25 pm

What new series with Mansell in it? Please give me all the info. I don't think F1 has been half as entertaining since the likes of Mansell, Senns and Prost departed. Would like to see if the old boy still has balls as big as coconuts. (not literally)

i think the series is called GP Masters - looks quite intersting, back to roots cars - no fancy electronics, just lots of power and slicks, and hopefully plenty of overtaking - should be at least, due to lots of ex world champs with grudges :)

yeah there was real characters back in the 80's senna prost mansell piquet etc - people who didnt believe in political correctness - or driving for the team (and drove for there own personal goals)

Ant

antjen Oct 16th 2005 9:27 pm

So what did you guys think to the chinese gp? (who stayed up to watchit!!)

i thought looking at the grod it had real potential, but unfortunalty it was such an anti climax, the safety car ruined mclarens chances of using there strategy to be able to race the renaults (yes i put my hand up - im a mclaren/jpm fan), very little overtaking, how many days is it till the start of the 06 season, anyone? :)

Ant

Desert Dweller Oct 18th 2005 4:57 am

So what did you guys think to the chinese gp? (who stayed up to watchit!!)

i thought looking at the grod it had real potential, but unfortunalty it was such an anti climax, the safety car ruined mclarens chances of using there strategy to be able to race the renaults (yes i put my hand up - im a mclaren/jpm fan), very little overtaking, how many days is it till the start of the 06 season, anyone? :)

Ant

5 months until the new season isn't it? www.formula1.com is the best for timings as they have a countdown in the top right corner- great if you're travelling and have no idea what timezone you're in!

I missed the Chinese GP as there is no time difference between Shanghai and Hong Kong (European ones are perfect- 9pm at night!) and i was busy. I really wanted to watch it but I'm glad I didn't make too much effort to do so. It's a pity it was such an anti-climax as Shanghai really wanted to have the drivers and constructors decided there. In the end renault took the constructors with no real fight. Though I think JPM would have bottled it if he was the decider and spun off on the last corner!

It will be interesting if maclaren get bought out by Merc, Red Bull turns the ex-Minardi team round like they did with Jaguar, Honda hopefully wont follow Toyota into no mans land and Ferrari will hopefully continiue with their pathetic results ad infinutum!